1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chief's big fat thread of fitness

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Chief, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Not bad at all especially if you’re (excuse me if I’m wrong) getting on a bit.

2. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

You looking for strength or mass gains Chief?

I think what you’ve done is a good workout but I can make some suggestions based on what you want to achieve.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'm not looking to get big really, no. Just to buff up and strength gains!

As West Winds politely says, I'm no longer in my youth. But am in good nick for my age.

I'd like to lose the tyre if I'm honest, that's my issue. That's why I'm also getting into running.

I also accept fully that in liking a pint, this is difficult.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Bottom line is, I only get gym time when I'm away in the week with work.

So this is three visits max, I never manage to go all four nights if I'm away all week, and sometimes only two.

In each visit I want to run for at least half an hour if possible, preferably more. If I'm on a two visit week I'll do one on push sets (bench press, barbell press, shoulder, flies etc.) and the other on pulls (rows, pull downs etc. etc.|)

If i do mage the third day then I'll thrown squats and deadlifts in there and some arm stuff.

Not ideal for doing the whole body and sculpting anything but as long as there are compound moves in there it has to suffice.

I want to get fitter, lose a stone and tone the **** up. The losing the stone is what is proving difficult. My diet is decent but I drink too much beer, simple as that.

5. Tel (they/them)

Strength training is best for you mate.

Just go with the 5x5 plan, it’s the most tried and tested for results when training independently.

You mentioned not wanting to do too much weight, but for best results you wanna train at your ability, even if it meant failing at 3/4 reps.

Dumbbells are obviously easier here cos they’re much easier to drop if you’re going to fail than a bar bell!

Try not to change up any routine whether it’s push/pull/legs from the 5x5 format. It’s ok to do less than 5 reps but if you find yourself doing 6/7/8 then you’re not using enough weight.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, my primary concern has been failing and being pinned under the bar.

There's plenty people about though so I'm sure I'd be rescued!

Will up the ante. I can go up a good few kilos and see how many reps I can get out and then base it on that.

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The big paradox;

as I'm working away I get to freely go to the gym when I want but also go out for a few beers a couple of times a week.

If I was working closer to home and so going home at night I'd be able to do neither!

I'd never join a gym if I was at home in the week, I'd be ferrying the kids left, right and centre every evening.

8. Tel (they/them)

Don’t worry about that fear Chief, if you feel like you’re in trouble just arch your back out you normally get an extra push from that and it’s enough to get you over the line.

You soon learn your limits on 5x5 anyway.

9. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Having you tried rolling out your TFL after your run. That may stop your IT bands pulling on your knee

10. CFC: Champs £launderx17

I'm no expert on weights, but is arching your back risky to get an extra rep in?

11. Tel (they/them)

It’s not considered good form but it’s preferable to being stuck with 80kg in Chief’s case, and nowhere to go. It’s either that or slide the plates off, which may not be an option for folk who use collars.

12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I've seen big Bath rugby dudes at the gym I go to arch their backs to get one rep out. Some daft amount on the bar.

I did think if they should be doing it but it was specifically to do one very heavy rep at maxed out weight.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You got me mate, transport for london?

My knee is the popliteus bit that starts to hurt a bit.

14. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Should be able to go heavier on decline than flat, the range of movement is less, but that is not too bad and if you've not got a spot then no point being that guy who needs help from randoms @Tel

I'd try and work some flys into any chest session, for me those are the things that really help.

If you want to try heavier then just use dumbells, isolates the chest more and if it is too heavy can just drop them on the floor and hope they dont bounce and smash someones ankle. Won't be yours though so who cares

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  15. Saintmagic

Yeah if you watch any of the people attempting huge weight they all proper arch their back. Think it is technically the correct form, shoulders flat on the bench and back arched with arse on the bench as well.

please log in to view this image

16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, I was pissing the declines at that weight but didn't want my head coming off! It is a lot easier than flat or incline.

I ordinarily do do flies, see my later post, but it was busy as **** and there was no spare bench anywhere. Or indeed any cable machines.

17. Saintmagic

Didn't realise there was another page where everyone just said the same **** as me

Tel (they/them) and Chief like this.
  18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yep, that's the one!

19. Saintmagic

I've never done a 5x5 training, everything I do is minimum 12-14 reps. I have no idea what my one rep strength is but am pretty comfortable doing 80kg 14 times for 5 sets. As Tel says though it all depends on what you want, "toning" is just Cosmo word for losing weight. You could have 50% of the muscle you currently have but if you have 50% of the fat as well you would look much bigger and "ripped".

Either doing high reps will work as technically that is cardio, or doing low rep and heavy weight as the DOMS and afterburn will burn a lot of calories too, both work it is just what you prefer to do. Diet and sleep are also very important factors as well.

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  20. Tel (they/them)

And less Brooklyn lager!

Chief likes this.