1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chester minute......where's walshie?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by clingo, Dec 2, 2012.

1. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Hope the powers that be will forgive this not being a Cardiff City thread.

Good to see that ChesterWalshie's team are on the way back.

After 100 years in the FL, I was sad when Chester City finally went to the wall, especially as I have family who live in Helsby and support the club. Well now they are back and sitting proud at the top of the Conference North (just two rungs away from the FL) and are getting crowds that would be the envy of quite a few league 2 clubs. I for one wish them well and hope that their current good fortune might encourage Walshie out of retirement.

In case you are wondering what brought on this thread, it was the FA Cup draw which has the possibility of us playing against Barrow who themselves were proud members of the FL when I first started watching football. I also noticed that Bradford Park Avenue are making steady progress, They too were in the FL when I was a lad.

With Newport, Wrexham and Luton all knocking on the door, the FL may look just like it did 50 years ago, though this time with two Welsh clubs in the top flight.

Right time for my medication.

NURSE

2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

It's the ephemeral Clingo.

How goes it?

Very true about the history, but a shame that AFC Wimbledon couldn't pull it off for the opposite reason, especially with Ardley leading the 'new' wimbledon against his former club (albeit in a different location).

I remember collecting stickers from Shell (I think it was) garages for 92 league clubs as a pre-teen in the 70s (I'm a youngster cling). Many of those now outside the league.

Oxford in the 2nd divison, as were the hatters. Hereford, Aldershot, Newport, Workington all in the 4th (whatever happened to Workington?).

3. hampshire Blue

hampshire Blue Active Member

I remember those clubs in the league clingo. Didn't Jimmy Scoular come to us from Bradford P.A.

4. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Remember them? I used to watch all of them at Newport. Workington went out of the league in 1977 and currently play in the Blue Square North.

I recall a game at Newport against them which Newport had to win to stay in the league. Colin Addison was Newport's manager (having replaced Jimmy Scoular in the January) and they pulled off the "great escape", winning 1 - 0, having been well adrift of the rest of Div. 4 at the half way stage of the season. Workington went out of the league instead.

5. Xsnaggle

Xsnaggle Member

What happened to Working ton??? - - Their bridge fell down. :(

6. bluescull

bluescull Well-Known Member

I remember going to Southport in the Cup, maybe 1970, and they turned us over 2-0. Another team lost to the Football League.