1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham 2019 Ante Post Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by the don, Oct 9, 2018.

1. the don

the don Well-Known Member

You know it makes sense.... lets be having you!

Ste D likes this.
  2. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Can we have 2 threads for Cheltenham re ‘ante-post’??? That would be my suggestion anyway.

One for the usual chat re the ante-post markets and another for actual bets placed. I always feel that the latter gets lost amongst all the posts re the former. Also there is a lot of ambiguity about whether or not someone has actually backed said horse they are talking about or if it is merely that...talk! A thread detailing nothing but bets struck would end this uncertainty once and for all.

SwanHills likes this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We could also have a competition. List a load of horses and we have to predict in which race they will run <whistle>

4. Sir Barney Chuckles

Not even those with moles / insiders/ contacts (delete as appropriate) will have an advantage re that one. As even connections themselves don’t know, in so many cases, until the weekend before the meet.

SwanHills likes this.
  5. the don

the don Well-Known Member

Alnadam at 50s and Commander of fleet at 16s both for the Ballymore

Claimantakenforgen at 33s for the JLT

Santini RSA at 8s

6. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see what route they will go with Samcro-I hope they stick with hurdles but knowing those pesky o'Leary brothers they will send him over the bigger fences. The value in the ante post market has changed considerably now especially in the last couple of years; tight arse bookmakers taking the p!ss now with some of the prices being quoted:emoticon-0112-wonde

7. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

Right then, I don't think I've ever had an ante post bet in my life until today. I've just taken 40/1 on MASTER TOMMYTUCKER from the Paul Nicholls yard which is entered in the RSA. Why, you ask? Here's why.

I was told by a work colleague today that this has come from a person who is currently working at the yard and was given this by Mr Nicholls himself. Now this person could be anyone doing anything but who knows, tomorrow could hold the key. The plan is that MASTER TOMMYTUCKER will only have the one run which is tomorrow at Chepstow in the 3.35 before the RSA so I'd imagine a very good run would be a minimum here and that after this race I'd also imagine that if he wins or wins well then the 40/1 on offer will shorten considerably. I know it's a risk, this info could be the worst in history but 40/1 is surely worth a small wager.

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  8. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Has to contend with Mr Henderson's Monbeg Legend at Chepstow, who already has significant chasing experience and is rated 147. Also Challow Hurdle winner Poetic Rhythm in the line up so it will be no cakewalk. However, if he absolutely sluices up then your 40/1 voucher could look very tasty Mick. Best of luck <ok>

Grecian Mick likes this.
  9. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Why ever would you plan to only give a horse 1 run before competing in the toughest novice chase of them all. Madness! Good luck with your bet though. As Oddy says though there's plenty of decent oppo tomorrow.

10. Faugheen1916

Faugheen1916 New Member

One bet myself so far, Annamix 20/1 with Bet365 for the supreme. Ricci hasn't shut up about this, missed last year but apparently working well at home. If it wins a couple of races its price will collapse, still available at 16s with bet365.

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.

11. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

I think on itv racing he said Anamix is his main one to watch in the season didn't he? I m looking forward to seeing Douvan and hoping he stays fit and well..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
  12. Faugheen1916

Faugheen1916 New Member

Yea cant wait to see Douvan, its make or break for him this season. Love the horse

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
    Ste D and woolcombe-folly007 like this.
  13. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

One of the multi account lunatics info logins, take no notice, be retiring geldings to stud after handicap plots any day now.

14. Faugheen1916

Faugheen1916 New Member

Tommy is out for the season now Mick

15. CaptainPops

Have to put it up on here as today in the racing press it has been confirmed Samcro is remaining over hurdles this season with a tilt at the Champion Hurdle on the cards.

Owner and trainer yet to win that race. Is this the 2019 champion hurdle winner in waiting?

Ste D likes this.
  16. OddDog

Staff Member

Looks a very open Champion Hurdle. Buveur D’Air possibly past his best and (at the moment) no real contender from the Mullins yard (I’d be surprised if Melon is good enough and i thought I read he’s going chasing?). My worry with Samcro is his size and scope, he just looks every inch a chaser and I wonder if he has the pace for a Champion Hurdle. He could possibly be another Faugheen and blow them away from the front though .........

CaptainPops likes this.
  17. CaptainPops

Would be trodding the same path as Faugheen as he too won the same novice race the season before. Possibly Laurina maybe entered in the Champion Hurdle and get the mares allowance?

18. OddDog

Staff Member

I'd like to see her take on the boys on goodish ground - she's done all her winning on soft-heavy so far. But yes, could be an angle.

19. Sir Barney Chuckles

11/4, re Samcro 4.5 months before the race, is amazingly short for a horse who has never completed a race outside of novice company (in fact given the fragility of the breed I'd want at least 6/4 about any horse, this far from the meet, being in good health and able to turn up let alone win).

In saying that though there is a dearth of top class hurdlers around at the moment. Part of the problem being that high quality horses, in the main, no longer switch from the Flat to the NH sphere anymore. Instead they are sent on the all-weather, where the prize pots are now larger than they were for decent types, or more and more commonly sold to race overseas (Australia, the US, the Far East and the Middle East) for large amounts.

20. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Douvan injured.