1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham 2018: Antepost Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by DreverSpur, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I saw Champagne Classic out for the season mate, i'll see if i can find the link

EDIT: https://www.racingpost.com/news/grade-one-winner-champagne-classic-out-for-the-season/296924

2. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with any of these- the one I'm most looking forward to seeing is WC- he was my tip for the neptune in the preview, he's got a massive future over fences, anything he did over hurdles would be a bonus!

Davidquinn likes this.
  3. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

4. tward07

tward07 Well-Known Member

Movewiththetimes should be a beast this year also.

5. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

Surely going chasing? Might see him sparkle in the arkle

6. tward07

tward07 Well-Known Member

Yeah Nicholls was happy to put him away when he missed his Supreme engagement for the remaining of the season. Think he will start over 2m but wouldn't surprise me to see him go for the JLT.

7. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

There’s been a bit of movement re Nathan (no prizes for guessing who his sire is) since I last looked. See the 50/1 available for him re the Triumph has been eroded into a best priced 33’s.

One of those animals who literally could be anything over timber. He’s won his last 2 on the Flat (and may run again on the level later in the week) though and will certainly be, in my opinion, one of the most interesting ‘newcomers’ to the NH sphere later in the term.

8. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Slate House 25/1 Albert Bartlett and Neptune. Joe Tizard on ATR very sweet on this one. Not having an AP bet yet but will follow this one's progress with interest.

9. Sir Barney Chuckles

Has been tipped up today by the ‘West Country’ correspondent in ‘The Weekender’, for The Arkle, at 25/1. No change to that best price though at the time of me writing this. Possible though, I suppose, that his 'followers' could invest over the next few days and force the price down.

The same chap also advises Native River (CGC, 12/1) and Finian’s Oscar (RSA, 16/1), troops.

10. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

State of that - I don't suppose this tipster is affiliated with any bookmakers?

Doalittle and woolcombe-folly007 like this.

11. Sir Barney Chuckles

Why?!? He's done exactly the same as members have in the other 129 posts on this thread (and elsewhere across other forms of media) - given thoughts or recommendations re the 2018 Cheltenham Festival. Can't see why you are specifically highlighting the 'West Country' chap! Strange remark.

12. Gazman982

Gazman982 Active Member

Just the one bet for me so far . Gold Cup

Sizing John - Backed John at 28's last year, sticking with him again this year.

Travelling down to King George day at kempton in the hope get to see sizing john.

Bring on the jumps <party>

13. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

My point being that tipsters affiliated with bookmakers make money from tipping up losers but you seem to have missed that SBC old chap <cheers>

14. Sir Barney Chuckles

If you actually made a valid point maybe I wouldn’t have missed it. How is the ‘West Country’ correspondent of ‘The Weekender’ affiliated with bookmakers?!? I’d love to hear the answer to this conundrum. And even if he is (which he isn’t) the old boy has been piling in the winners recently so maybe we should all get bally affiliated PDQ.

Correspondents doing his job (at the various training centres/regions) quickly lose there positions if they tip up loser after loser.

15. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Surely you know the Racing Post is affiliated???

Every time someone places a losing bet on their app or website they get a share of the losses.

16. Sir Barney Chuckles

Have you read ‘The Weekender’?!? What we are talking about here is 3 ante-post pieces of advice from a regional correspondent not a flagship or ‘name’ tipster. I’m not going to debate the individual merit of each tip, because that doesn’t seem to be the point here, but if anyone thinks he has made these advices because what, I’m a bit unsure of the precise allegation being made, (i) he thinks they will lose, (ii) it will encourage ‘followers’ to pile onto animals with no chance or (iii) he is, or wants, to receive backhanders from bookmakers then they are living in ‘cloud cuckoo land’.

The role of regional correspondent for a newspaper like this is a prized role and as detailed above if they fail to deliver the ‘goods’ (i.e. a good ratio of winners at decent prices) then they will lose the position very quickly (as has happened many times in the past). It also offers people a launchpad to a career in the media ofmuch more importance – higher profile in that paper, another paper or perhaps television. Why they would risk a potential lucrative future career in journalism and the media by deliberately, if that is what is being accused, tipping losers I’ve no idea.

And what about all the winners this 'West Country' chap has tipped recently?!? Has he given these in error or by mistake?!? Is he really no good and getting it right when he is trying to get it wrong?!? The mind boggles.

Quickly on ‘The Racing Post’ again who there then is deliberately advising losing bets?!? Any names?!? This seems a conspiracy theory gone mad. Again if they produce a publication full of losers they will quickly shed readers (in print and on line) and be out of business!

17. Doalittle

Tom Segal!!??!?!???!!!!???

18. Sir Barney Chuckles

Cor blimey serious and potentially libellous allegation there, old boy. If you genuinely believe this then I suggest you either contact the publications Editor or the Police.

19. Doalittle

Oh crap I didn't realize I'd be liable for putting two and two together. I'd better contact my lawyer.

DreverSpur likes this.
  20. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

Thought I'd have a punt at second guessing Mullins and see how wrong I can get it. This is where I see some of his big guns being placed come March.

FAUGHEEN - Champion Hurdle - Think he'll show enough in his warm ups for them to keep him at this trip and not step him up. I don't give him much chance of winning the champion hurdle and would train him for the world hurdle at his age.

MELON - Arkle - I know the indications seem to be that they'll keep him over hurdles but I just don't see it myself. Looks a chaser and would be pushing favouritism in the Arkle. Wouldn't give him a chance in the champion hurdle.

DJAKADAM - Ryanair - Surely won't persist with him in the Gold Cup and I'm sure Ricci would rather win this than finish 3rd/4th again in what is likely to be an even more competitive Gold Cup.

DOUVAN - Gold Cup - I think they'll take a good look at Sizing John and think now is the time to see if Douvan can step up and beat him again. I think you can put a line through his last run and I'd back him in any race, just think this will be the year they bite the bullet and test his stamina.

MIN - Champion Chase - Ricci was bullish about him beating Altior last year, so don't think he'll be any less so this year given Altior's performance in the Arkle.

GREAT FIELD - Champion Chase - Think JP will fancy this ones chances of landing a blow against Altior also, a line through Oridnary World puts him in with a big shout.

YORKHILL/UN DE SCEAUX - Not a clue. Yorkhill Gold Cup and Un De Sceaux Ryanair if I had to hazard a guess. Don't fancy Yorkhill for the Gold Cup. His point win over 3m wasn't all that impressive, and for some reason he just doesn't strike me as a Gold Cup winner.

DreverSpur likes this.