1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham 2018: Antepost Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by DreverSpur, Mar 20, 2017.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

Should still be going in the multiples.
    I have him at some nice prices and doubled with Apples Shakira that would pay for the week.

Ekbalco99 likes this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Maybe Samcro - Altior double on the day and chuck in Gifford's bumper winner <ok>

DreverSpur and Ekbalco99 like this.
  3. stick

stick Bumper King

at Huntingdon?

beeforsalmon likes this.
  4. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Samcro does look the dogs bolix but he is a novice and has never run at Cheltenham before so I'd be happy to take him on, with what I don't know yet!!!!

DreverSpur and Chaninbar like this.
  5. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Interesting sticker that you’re now the forum self appointed number one Samcro fanboy as I seem to recall you shouting me down on him being Elliott’s best bumper horse (ie superior to the ill fated Fayonagh) when he was taken out of the big Punchestown Festival bumper... Have we seen the light now then <whistle>

6. stick

stick Bumper King

No mate not at all. Fayonagh is dead in case you havent heard but was ten lengths better than anything in her generation! ie 20 lengths clear of the third!

7. beeforsalmon

<laugh>

8. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

No ones being original putting Samcro up chaps. Doesn’t matter when you first mentioned him, you were just regurgitating the hype that’s been around him since before he first ran. Everyone will be in clover if he wins the Ballymore.

9. tward07

tward07 Well-Known Member

Sky will be doing the usual free bet refund on the first race each day i imagine so always worth taking on the shortie

karlos5001 likes this.
  10. beeforsalmon

YANWORTH confirmed for Stayers by Alan King. Managed to snare a healthy chunk of 10/1 there on him. This is always a proper gruelling race, this fella should be perfect suited to it and can jump hurdles a lot better than fences! Can't see him out of the frame, looks a weak renewal and already has beaten the fav over 3m at Aintree last season.

11. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Elliot has nominated Flawless Escape as his dark horse for the Martin Pipe hurdle.Best price 10/1 which will half on the day if he makes the line up.

12. OddDog

Staff Member

I hope he didn't refer to it as "the boys race" ................. I heard Paul Nicholls do that once and he sounded like a paedo

Chaninbar and woolcombe-folly007 like this.
  13. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Quite interesting that JP will have 2 quite high profile names in the line up. Yanworth and of course Unowhatimeanharry..I wonder which Barry will choose to ride? Unowhatimeanharry was odds on this time last year and finished about 4 lengths behind Nichols Canyon. What a difference 12 months makes...with no stand out performer could Frys stablemate do the business?

14. OddDog

Staff Member

Has anyone heard anything on Penhill? The latest I could find using google was from August last year where they said he was injured and wouldn't be going to Oz for the Melbourne Cup. Is he still in training?

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

Yes and it looks like it's pretty good. I was fortunate to bet him last year at the Albert Barlett and I am tempted to repeat. It seems that it will run safe but I am afraid of such inactivity. If he runs I'll be there. 10/1 currently that if he was in shape is a gift.

OddDog likes this.
  16. OddDog

Staff Member

His trainer is certainly the master of getting horses to Cheltenham fit, even after an absence. Could definitely be a player if lining up. As Beefy says, it is looking a weak renewal this year <ok>

Pilgrim likes this.
  17. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Was given The Organist today for the pertemps. Altho tips and ‘info’ is a bit irrelevant at he festival as every single horse will be trying. Apparently she has tearing the gallops up at home she is running off a mark of the mid 130’s so she will get a decent weight and you can forget about the last runs, but the stable are extremely confident should she mak there in one piece!!

18. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

I loved Lieutenant Henderson’s comment yesterday re this filly. Was there a bit of a swipe at the owner mixed in amongst these words?!? – ‘I'm pretty sure Apple's Shakira will run in the Triumph Hurdle but I don't know for certain. We'll have to see what happens, I can't make any promises right now.’

Translated from that ancient dialect of Lieutenantese this roughly means, ‘Apple’s Shakira will run in the Triumph Hurdle unless the owner, or one of his management team, have a moment of madness between now and the Festival’. That lot though, people, are prone to moments of madness!

Archers Road likes this.
  19. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

That tip has to lead to the asking of the question of the day. In what year did Oliver Sherwood last train a Cheltenham Festival winner???

There is a ‘Barney Bonus’ for the first correct answer.

20. stick

stick Bumper King

1988 Sun Alliance
    The West Awake