1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham 2018: Antepost Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by DreverSpur, Mar 20, 2017.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

It wouldnt be his choice to make!

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  2. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

He’s got to turn up on Saturday first Wooly <laugh>

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  3. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

I know that but surely if he wants to ride coneygree that much then Surely he will be allowed to!!

4. stick

stick Bumper King

Thats not how it works mate!

5. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

That reminds me of a fantasy I used to have many years ago about Cindy Crawford (I know, I'm showing my age <laugh>)

Ekbalco99 likes this.
  6. DreverSpur

Won’t matter anyway Wooly - The Duke becomes King <cheers>

7. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Over the weekend the only addition to my Gold Cup portfolio was Bristol De Mai at 40/1 each way (1/4 odds) with Stan James immediately after yesterdays's race at Wetherby. I understand the comments made by various commentators and pundits about the horse being suited by a flat track like Haydock however I had already looked through the horse's form. Did not run all that badly in last year's Gold Cup and was also second to Black Hercules in the 2016 JLT Novice's Chase. As we must have a soft ground sometime I think that 10/1 a place is not too shabby an option. The horse is also a year older and is coming to the optimum age for a Cheltenham Gold Cup runner.

The final determinate was that Nigel Twiston-Davies is more than likely to let Bristol De Mai take its chance in the big race in March.

8. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

You're not getting 10/1 a place in that bet Kenny. If he places but fails to win you would get back £11 to a £1 a line stake. Basically its £2 stake, £11 return, £9 profit which is 9/2 a place. Yesterday he's beaten a grand national horse who ran wide throughout over a flat track with rhythmic fences. I can definitely see why people would argue he's got a lot to prove.

Doalittle likes this.
  9. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Don't disagree with most of the pundits however still think 40/1 is fair value and he did run well in a pretty good standard JLT. Just one of my scattergun punts in the only race I really bet on now!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Bostonbob likes this.
  10. DreverSpur

Your chance to back the 2018 Supreme winner on his hurdles debut tomorrow lads - RED JACK runs in the 12:05 at Naas.

11. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Hey Drever when all these come in will you be getting a corporate box to share with your fellow forumites at the 2019 Festival with the winnings?
    I really liked Slate House's performance at Cheltenham the other week. Not had a bet on him yet as no idea where he's headed. I suspect it won't be the Supreme but could be either of the others.

DreverSpur likes this.
  12. DreverSpur

Pleased with that from Red Jack <cheers>

13. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

He won but didn't look anything special if I'm honest. Early days yet with him though.

14. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

Thistlecrack vs Might Bite in the King George would be something to look forward to.

15. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

I don’t know if anyone noticed this but a week or so ago Face The Facts was sold at Tattersalls for 100,000 gns. The 3YO was a dual winner for old boy Gosden including at Listed level over 16 furlongs. 33’s is available for the Triumph. The only negative is that he will be trained by a chap that I’ve never heard of…someone or other Mullins. I’m sure he’s no Mr Henderson but he’s certainly got the old ‘raw materials’ re this one.

OddDog likes this.
  16. Sir Barney Chuckles

Mr Ponsonby, the forum’s second favourite owner, got Who Dares Wins qualified for the ‘Pertemps Final’ on Monday then. Very interesting move. Although you do have to wonder if saddle monkey, Tom Cannon, will be fired (Cannon?!? Fired?!? Oh never mind). As you don’t usually qualify for the heat by finishing 3rd beaten just 1.75 lengths. The correct way is to be beaten several lengths, trail in 6th and get a perchings reduction in the process…nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more…

I am wondering what connections will do with the old boy now. Keep him in his barn till the Final??? Or give him a couple of down the field runs in handicaps, in the interim, to get his mark lowered???

Whatever, as one of those Chav types might say, 25/1 is available and there are a lot worse animals priced at this figure, at the meeting right now, let me tell you that, troops.

17. OddDog

Staff Member

I can’t post the link from the old mobile device (am still “stateside”) but there is a lovely article on the Racing Post website entitled “The biggest ever certainty to race at Cheltenham”. The story of the plot with Unsinkable Boxer in what is now the Pertemps Final. You’ll like it Sir Barney, not a straight bat in site and some of the sports great champions involved <ok>

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  18. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Min wins the Champion Chase

DreverSpur likes this.
  19. Sir Barney Chuckles

Am at the coalface so can’t access the ‘Racing Post’ right now due to that blasted firewall (remember that!). Will have a good read laters, as one of those Chav types might say, though.

Also read a great piece about Unsinakble Boxer in a book a year or so ago (it might have been one of McCoy’s books) in which Martin Pipe (booo-hiss) told McCoy (booo-hiss) prior to the Final that he would win as he liked but to bally well make sure he bloomin’ well did win at all costs.

Reading between the lines you got the impression the horse would probably have bolted up had they put him in the ‘Stayers Hurdle’ as well, that year, but because of the absolute multitude of ante-post wagers they had running on him re the ‘Pertemps Final’ they, quite naturally, felt obliged to go for the handicap. I think it’s safe to say connections won a bally fortune that day…

20. OddDog

Staff Member

I managed to find this video of the closing stages on YouTube: