1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chelsea vs Southampton, 19:45, Tuesday 25th April

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Le Tissier's Laces, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Mouez is a WUM.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have nothing against partnering Caceres with Stephens. Both need game time in my view, for different reasons.

So many people just assume that calls with Caceres to start mean wanting Stephens dropped (and maybe that assumption is fair enough). I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I know that I'm not asking for that. Not yet anyway.

Or there is the option of playing all three CBs, maybe with one of them alongside Romeu. It is pretty clear I'd say that we are badly lacking a partner for Romeu. Could be a short-term stop-gap option between now and the summer. As well as, er, adding a bit more strength when defending corners!

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I tend to agree. Yoshida is great as cover. Stephens is continuing to improve. As a pair, they are not good enough against the best sides.

Velcro Roy and Brixham Saint like this.
  4. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Injury cover, for our injured CB.

You can't seriously think that a word class player has suddenly become worse than Stephens and yoshida?

Why shouldn't he be here next year? If he is fit and can play then he is an experienced CB who can take Fontes place.

5. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

Yep, disappointed by JWp tonight apart from set pieces, he seemed rather invisible

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think Maya is a class cb if he's not the 'main' one if that makes sense. Or the leading one.

Made this point before... after WHU at home maybe?

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

If he was 'world class' he wouldn't signed for us on a free...

Just throwing that out there.

8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have no idea about his ability. I'd be very surprised if he really was world class, or anything close to it. But I simply don't know.

I do however think it is laughable that people are writing him off before he has even kicked a ball for us. For all we know, he could end up signing a three year contract in the summer and be a mainstay in our team. He has to be given a chance.

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  9. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

Can't see Caceres signing for us if it was just as cover for a possible injury to either Stephens or Yoshida as I'm sure he would have had other offers to play? Either that or we just offered him a shed load of cash to cover Les Reeds ass for not signing a Fonte replacement?

10. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Hasn't played in over 1yr.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well done Saints. You were our equals in the first half, was a tad harsh you going in 2-1 down. Second half you kinda rolled over a little. Going forward you threatened but your defence needs work. I know your best defender is injured long term though, any team would suffer without their best cb. Good luck for the rest of the season

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Cheers Bod, fair assesment that <ok>

13. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Good first half and we really caused Chelsea problems on the right-hand side. The goal before half time made a big difference.

We were not great defensively but the wing backs and movement of Hazard and Costa plus the way they can switch the ball from side to side is difficult, plus they had a massive height advantage from set pieces!

14. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Unless he is **** in training etc?

15. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Yeah. Both seem to have the same weakness: when things are well organized, they are fine. When things start to break down, they don't recover well. Have been quite a few something-from-nothing moments where we've been cruising, only for space to suddenly open up and present the opposition with a gilt-edged chance.

16. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

He just kind of sunk to his knees....if it's not directly at him at closish range I have zero confidence.
    I'm not saying he should have saved that 3rd, but a more athletic goalkeeper would have been able to get across and make a dive towards it.

I can't remember if this is only since his knee injury or he was a bit slow before, but it's a weakness to his game that prevents him from being a higher level

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Caceres was experienced, but hadn't played for some time. However, we were desperate. He is either worse than Maya or Jack....or he is similar, but Puel feels it is better to persist with our own players, notably one youngster who will gain greatly by the experience. Claude will then be in a position to judge his needs.....with or without Virgil. I will be astonished if we sign Caceres on a contract.....he's an expensive make weight signed to fill a need and even then couldn't get in the side.

davecg69 likes this.
  18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I agree entirely Fran. Stephens has had the kind of experience he could only have dreamed of a few months ago. He's had to cope with marking some of the best strikers in the Premier League, and generally done pretty well. Last night Costa gave him a torrid time but I was pleased to see him give Jack a big hug and a quiet word after the match. As for Caceres, Claude has seen enough of him in training by now, and seems satisfied that Maya and Jack are his best options until Virgil is back.

19. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

The same as every time he plays then.

20. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Bit harsh. I thought he's been doing ok recently.