1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chelsea V Southampton

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Bullet tooth Tony, Apr 25, 2017.

1. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Come on Palace!

2. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

4-2 now - Another cross from the left & Bertrand beats Cahill in the AIR <doh>

Alonso & Cahill make our team without Defense FFS.

3. Tibbers

Tibbers Active Member

Congrats Chelsea!!! 4-2 FT!

4. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

I still repeat, we cannot comfortably win the title as long as Alonso+Cahill is our 1st choice leftside with Matic protecting them.

5. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Stan. I would be more worried about Courtois not being able to collect high balls and punching away dolly drops that my granny would have held quite comfortably. He has never dominated his box like good keepers do, yes he does a worldy every blue moon but his bread and butter keeping is of very low quality especially his kicks and distribution, tonight he had a simple pass on to Dave who was in acres of space but he lumped it up top for the opposition to reignite an attack that never should have been.

StanDMan likes this.
  6. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Agreed about Thibo. But Thibo can be shielded by decent Defenders.
    But Cahill+Alonso combo cannot be shielded even by Kante.

Every opposition move goes through the leftside. Nothing - repeat - Nothing from the right side, against Spurs & Saints.

7. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

I am just glad Holgate will be playing on the right for Everton.
    But Lukaku will have a field day against Cahill & Alonso.

We need Ake for that one!
    We need to start parking bus against Everton. Their Defense is poor, we can get at them in the closing stages.
    Kitman should pack the Yellow kit - which is always a good luck charm against Everton.
    or else hopeless.

8. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Well I'm going to say I thought Fabregas did a great job while on the pitch and Costa scored his header with great power and determination, and his goal was really well taken. Our defence was shakey indeed on crosses, but pretty good in open play.
    Things looked nervy until Cahill got in again, but we upped it 2nd half.
    Can't have been easy with pressure they are under, and against a team that can really play a bit.
    So, good Team performance, much better from Costa, though still not back to his best, and excellent from Fabregas.

StanDMan likes this.
  9. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Agreed CP. Cescy had a better game in every sense. He was played to his strength.
    He didn't even bother to chase anyone. There will be only one loser.

We lost previous 2 matches when Conte started Cescy, Matic & Kante.
    In those matches Cescy played more central & deep. But in this match he played wide and played little deeper while moving to center.
    This subtle change did help make Cescy with Matic & Kante better.

But Matic is worrying me a lot. Even more so than Cahill & Alonso - who lack any guile but at least they try.
    Matic is odd & indifferent. So I would reserve my criticism for Cahill, Alonso & Cescy.

Conte must switch Ake for Matic, even if that means Ake is in DM. I will take that against Everton.
    Gives us a fighting chance to extend our 4 point lead (Forget farking Palace against Spuds).

10. The Ginger Marks

Well despite Stans pessimistic comments I thought well played really well with Fab being the instigator. Southampton are a tricky side that can play football but let's not forget they had rested for 10 days. Southampton have failed to beat any of the top six this season although being a good team they do like to go at teams and this has been their undoing.

Costa was my MoM as he led the line beautifully and scored two top goals something that Batshit could never match in a month of Sunday's. Hazard was electric and Kante well he was Kante but good performances throughout the team against a tough Southampton side. Now we can relax and maybe watch the Spuds wobble at Palace.

11. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Best i've seen Costa play for some time.Would like to see last nights team play a 3 5 2
    at some point.

12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Stan's pessimism makes reading these match threads after the event worthwhile. :wink:

Not sure how long you've been watching football but you can't win every game 4-0 and every player put in 9/10 performances every game!

We've just had a hard fought game at Wembley, lost our previous 2/4 league games and Southampton had a 10 day rest. We put in a decent performance, scored 4, Costa back on form and go 7 points clear.

Wasn't a perfect performance but was a title winning performance.

Maybe you're just annoyed 3/4 goals came from players you want dropped!

Cheer the **** up lad, please!! <laugh>

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  13. Bald Archie

Bald Archie Not606 Official Lurker

Good show from your lot last night <applause>. Media still banging on about the title race...it's well over, can't see Chelsea letting this one slide, as we're bound to drop points in the run in. Just hope we can hang onto 2nd. <ok>

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  14. The Ginger Marks

Thanks Archie Southampton were game so credit to them, I would wish you luck against Palace but it I would be lying. :)

15. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

You deserve to hang on and I think you will, Poch has improved both your players and the team performances. A tad more depth and it'll be game on. My Spud son in law is well pleased with the season and rightly so. Just saw you rolled Palace, so it still only needs a dodgy game by us against Everton and who knows. That said, I do think we have almost deserved the title and hope WE hang on !!!! Look forward to catching up next season .

StanDMan likes this.