1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chelsea v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

When Pogba played it was more alongside Matic with and advanced ACM (or No.10)

Of who we have I would say that Matic Pogba Mata is our best midfield if played as a three, Pogba being injured has scuppered that and Herrera hasn't been a like for like replacement. Mourinho clearly thinks otherwise anyway and Mata to me is being increasingly sidelined.

You've also got the afroed elephant in the room to think of, who Mourinho seems to suggest is one of his 'untouchables'. That's the single most worrying thing for me going forward.

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Herrera can't start games if we have everyone fit, in my opinion. He has passion but lacks presence in the middle of the park. He also doesn't contribute enough going forward.

If Mourinho is still manager next season, I think Mata and Herrera would be gone, with hope of bringing in someone that can actually change games, especially during difficult stretches. That is what we lack so badly apart from Pogba. We should also start bringing Angel Gomes into the fray but there's news he may go to Barca which would be sad.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Really? I doubt that, he's an England U19 player. He's unlikely to leave yet, surely.

We should definitely bring Pereira back, and also Fosu Mensah, and start to give Tuanzebe a game here and there as the truth is Lindelof is no way better and neither is Smalling now. We should be giving these young players a chance somehow.

If Mata and Herrera are seen to be surplus then Mhkitaryan has to be also. At least you get effort from the other two.

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You have wishful thinking by imagining those "kids" would all get a chance under the current regime of football. Not even Jose Mourinho specifically, but I think the first option is now to spend and spend even more rather than getting creative with youth. It is perhaps what sets Tottenham apart. I couldn't believe we allowed Fosu to go on load. Send a great player out on loan and buy a duff in Lindelof. Ridiculous!

I completely agree with you on Mhkitaryan. I honestly don't even see the dude in games which is worrisome. But yes, we need to start thinking beyond the three of Mata, Herrera and Mhkitaryan. Out of the three, only Herrera has any level of intensity when it comes to the crunch.

5. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I really feel bad for Mata if I'm honest. Probably one of the best pros around, and a brilliant footballer at that. Yet gets treated like absolute crap by Mourinho.

If he gets a game he's subbed off after an hour, even when he's played a lot better than others who get to stay on, and now he's being completely frozen out. Yet still you never hear him complaining.

Real Madrid are looking at him reading transfer gossip, just shows what a class player he actually his, and how wrong Mourinho is about him. His goals and assist figures back up what a quality footballer he is.

I really do worry if our manager thinks Mkhitaryan and all the players on our bench are better than him.

6. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

If JM no longer thinks Mata is good enough for your team,he must be making progress.

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I just hope this week is not an indicator of something bad, Monday was the first time since he has been with us that he didn't do his Monday match blog on MUFC web site.

8. King Shergar

You lot really do have short memories. It's not like Mata's creativity carried an average Chelsea side to the greatest night in your history <doh>

9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

That was almost five years ago, King. Five years is a very long time in football. For the record, I like Mata. BUT, we can't seem to use him effectively under Jose's system. Why not use other players that are more versatile in his place?

10. King Shergar

Well he's probably the player who did the most in the biggest triumph in your football clubs history. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you Chelsea lot.

It's only Mourinho's opinion that he doesn't fit in, yet he's always done well under other managers. I would say it's Mourinho who is the problem, not Mata.

Some of the players that he has picked ahead of him at Chelsea and United are for me laughable. Oscar and Mkhitaryan to think of a couple.

11. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

You missed my point,i liked Mata 99% of chelsea fans did.For whatever reason JM didn't!.....
    Having said that he won us the league without him.

12. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Love juan.

Polymath, an educated footballer who studied law in his spare time instead of playing golf.

Too clever for Jose, who prefers players like Frank John etc who don’t challenge him.

He doesn’t like the intellectual ones: Arjen, KDB, Juan etc. Does not go with his Methodology

13. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Isn't Fat Frank supposed to have an IQ of 158 or something ridiculous like that?

Apparently he's the only one who can beat Donald Trump at an IQ test...

14. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Ha ha.

I think he actually got some O' levels because he was privately schooled.

Pat Nevin is pretty bright.