1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chelsea V Manchester City

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Bullet tooth Tony, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Wouldn't set too much store by the result, as they always say, It was a glorified friendly. Nothing more. However your players look short of match fitness which is probably due to the tight timeframe they're on and I think you've left it extremely late to appoint a new manager.

Blueman likes this.
  2. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Agree with all of this. Should have binned Conte at the end of the season. What a ****ing carry on.

3. chelsea - over 100 years of history

We seem so under prepared for this new season. It's only a week away which is frightening. Sarri's had no time to train the team or assess the squad, we're lacking signings, our top players strongly linked away and many still missing from the squad due to the world cup.

Worrying times.

You'd have to think this season can only be considered a transitional one. Can't see how realistically we can expect top 4 unless someone implodes.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Its looking increasingly like that is the case.
    No ****ing idea why Conte wasn't sacked the day after the FA Cup final, if they had made their minds up to appoint Sarri.
    Delaying his appointment till 3 weeks before the season, to save a few quid! <doh>
    It's ridiculous.
    We are about 2-3 signings away from challenging properly (provided Jorginho solves our Bakayoko problem in midfield), Still need a new Striker, and possibly a keeper if Courtoise the Tortoise decides to **** off.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  5. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

We've got great players,all the manager has to do is motivate them<laugh>....
    Hope Zola works his magic on our attackers,i'm not convinced Morata is finished.

6. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

To be honest, I am not convinced he ever started
    I am willing to proven wrong though.

7. armchairblue

Time and patience needed......We have major talent in our squad.......
    Anyone else think Zaha's going to replace Hazard???

8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

As the player in our squad with a Z in his name, maybe
    Not sure what else he would be fit to replace him as.

BobbyD likes this.
  9. armchairblue

True......... But big rumour.

10. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Bit harsh on all of them, but we arebang out of time, half fit and have not a clue who’s in and who ‘s out.
    Willian has ponced around sulking for too long,take the money and go for younger.
    All midfield except Kante RLC and jorghino can leave, none are good enough and are taking up space, as is Morata .
    Sarri has a tough job, clearing out rubbish will make it easier. Good luck, he needs all players hungry and commited.

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

haha don't think i've ever seen you this negative before.

Agreed, morata is a waste of time. Too weak and too busy dribbling.

I quite like the look of Barkley (in terms of being able to hold it up and turn). I just really disliked his passing as it was terrible for someone so "technical". Kept over hitting it and misplacing it.

I dont know why we didnt try to go in for Vidal, guys a beast (or was, not seen him recently but hes just moved to barca). That or Sarri should put Willian in the midfield 3

12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yup, I agree.
    Fabregas is past it, Drinkwater is mediocre, Bakayoko is ****e

13. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

I think we’ll have a new keeper by deadline day, a new centre mid and potentially one more.

Then once it’s closed I imagine Giroud/Batshuayi, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Zouma will go abroad.

We definitely need new players but we’ve got such a massive squad full of players who don’t suit the way the new manager wants to play. Which begs the question why we didn’t appoint him sooner so had longer to sort it out.

Blueman and BobbyD like this.
  14. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I know it does look negative and a week ago I was quite optimistic !!
    Just watching all those ordinary players we bought last season ,and expecting to see one of them hopefully better, but no, all just as bad as always.
    My real concern, as always is midfield. Kante is top whack, jorghino looks like he is the right type but will need time and that's it. Put RLC aside a mo, and the rest are ordinary plodders,capable of the occasional good game.
    There's no Vidal, Pogba type there who can direct play, put themselves about, crash through defenders and command respect. When we get that player, everything gels. Hazard and the front players are involved, not just isolated and expected to do everything the midfield can't.
    The defenders can defend first and join and blend with midfield.
    That's what Sarri wants, but,as usual, he has not been provided with the squad he needs to play his way. So it's yet another clean out and fresh start, and maybe 3 months before we see where we are headed and with who.

BobbyD likes this.
  15. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

Sarri had only been at Chelsea a few weeks whereas Pep has been at City for a few seasons. I didn’t expect anything other than a City win for that reason. On the way back to the tube station, two of your lads were telling me they’re convinced that Sarri will win trophies at Chelsea if he’s given time. On Sunday’s performance City are going to be very difficult to beat no matter who they play, with the new signings we’ve made we should, hopefully, make a top 4 finish.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  16. The Ginger Marks

I think given the bad situation we’ve been dropped in we will finish top four but I think it’ll be close.

17. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

.....we’ll have a far better idea of where we’re likely to finish when we play Arsenal next Saturday. That’ll be the first real big test for Sarri and his new signings. I thought Jorginho looked real class during the limited time he had on the ball against Man City, he really was thrown in at the deep end making his first big start against them. Then we’ve got Kovacic to put in the mix. Plus we’ve got a world record signing for a goalie in Kepa.

.....I reckon we’re in for a good and entertaining league season.