1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Chazz's Book Club.

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, May 28, 2018.

1. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Clough the Autobiography.
    Read it in two days. Bit dated now and I think it was written in 1994 but still a rivetting read. He was truly a great football and man manager when with Peter Taylor, not so much without him. He failed at Brighton for example, played 32, lost 12, won 12, drew 8 and finished 19th but together with Taylor they gave Derby County and Nottingham Forest success beyond their wildest dreams. The trouble is with 'old' books, you have heard a lot of the stories before from other people/books but to read Cloughs insight on his success and failures is still enlighting and interesting. His England interview for example is a good chapter, and he probably talked himself out of it, but he does say the job was already Ron Greenwoods before any interviews took place in his opinion. He was treated like a leper at leeds as we all know, but he did take them for a ride financially, which is another interesting point about the book. He did not earn a fortune from his success as a manager and neither did most of the players, Stuart Pearce being the exception. Not a mention of Hull City anywhere in it and I always thought we did resonably well against his teams. He should have been the England manager when he was at his managerial peak and I wish he'd have been the manager of Hull City when he left Derby. The nearest we got was our owner Harold Needler having a private box at the City Ground to watch his success there. Good read and recommended.

dennisboothstash and TwoWrights like this.
  2. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Just working through Goodbye to Russia by Sarah Rainsford. She's a BBC journalist who spent 20 years in Russia before being expelled. It's a good read although a bit short on analysis, more like reading a diary, but it does give a good picture of Russia's journey to what it's become under Putin's rule.

TwoWrights likes this.
  3. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

I’ve started reading a book called
    “ the five people you meet in heaven “
    It’s actually inspired me to write some poetry with that theme in mind. I’m really enjoying it..
    IMG_0799.jpeg

4. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

A quick description…

IMG_0800.jpeg