1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Charlton v Rochdale

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Nov 21, 2017.

1. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Rochdale have been a good footballing side for several years now, Keith Hill has done an incredible job there. Credit where it’s due. It’s worth noting he’s got an incredibly decent deal there as he gets a cut of any transfer going out.

We were bang average for large parts of the game, and seemed somewhat content to let them play. I don’t want to defend our performance, nor do I want to celebrate it, but I simply ask myself if it’s a game we would have drawn/lost last season. Coming from behind was something that I thought was perhaps beyond us also.

Is what it is, I guess. 3 points, but we need to improve if we are to keep winning matches.

Ken Shabby, DonCorleone and lardiman like this.
  2. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

This is from the official website match report;

The Addicks came out firing for the second half. An injured Reeves was replaced by Karlan Ahearne-Grant and the substitute made an immediate impact causing havoc with his pace and power.

Pure fantasy.
    I would say you couldn't make it up - but they have.

Aside from a couple of competent passes, KAG was embarrassing.
    Fans were laughing at him after a while. It is actually cruel now to keep putting him on the pitch.
    The Club does him no favours either by just pretending he played well.

3. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

KAG doesn’t get involved. He’s on the pitch, but there’s simply no impact.

I think that’s a confidence thing rather than being ****. Don’t see it changing until he leaves tbf.

4. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

So it's nearly December, Reeves has had one good game, and that was against Truro. Billy Clarke gives much more to the team but has never looked like scoring. Anyone expecting significant squad improvement in January should look at our previous transfer window record. Still, we have enough quality at present to grind out results, so the play-offs are well within our reach.

5. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

I don’t think KAG is anywhere near good enough even for L1. The fact that he drives a £50k BMW sports car tells you plenty about both him and his employer.

6. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Probably a lease to be fair.

7. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

It looks at the moment as if Charlton will grind out enough points to finish 4th, 5th or 6th.
    Better than missing out on the play-offs altogether, but a two-legged semi-final against one of the other three play-off teams is going to be very tough.

The possibility is obviously still there to improve and make an assault one one of the automatic promotion places, but I doubt that the Club will back KR enough in January. If Charlton finish outside the top 6 this season I won't be blaming Robinson as far as his efforts to use available resources is concerned - he is doing better than I thought he would with what he has.
    But he accepts the limitations the regime places on him and he hasn't said one straight word to fight his corner; a few ambiguous comments are all we have heard.
    So from the point of view of willingly working with the regime, KR will be jointly responsible if Charlton fall short. Especially if he gets dicked in January and just takes it without standing up for himself.

8. User deleted as requested

A 3 door Skoda would be more appropriate

9. User deleted as requested

@lardiman

A poster called Seriously Unambitious has already stated that just reaching the play offs this season is a sign of improvement.

No doubt in the 2018-19 season his benchmark is reaching the actual play off final.

10. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Only 6 points behind the league winning season - has to be said, doesn’t feel like we’re that close to then.

12. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

Ahearne-Grant did more than Reeves and put in some decent crosses. No way is he a forward but I think he might be ok on the wing.

13. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

KAG is a bit of an enigma. He’s not a bad player, but he really needs to learn to make an impact, not just to be on hand to do the little things.

You can question if that’s a confidence issue, but due to our lack of depth he now finds himself as a league one player, and so he does need to step it up and act like he belongs.

Ken Shabby and ForestHillBilly like this.
  14. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

The abuse KAG gets is an absolute embarrassment. Some utter moron told him to **** off and die at the Crawley game in the checkatrade. The ironic cheers are pathetic as well.

Ken Shabby and ForestHillBilly like this.
  15. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

KAG did more in the first 5 mins after half time than reeves did in 45 .
    Reeves is Gobbo mate so he talks him up all the time.
    He’s weak injury prone bang average to me Clarke 10 times better

DonCorleone likes this.
  16. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

He's made a handful of appearances - give him a bit more time. No time to judge someone IMO.

17. ForestHillBilly

The signs so far are not promising.

18. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Expectations are high as he was a player a lot of the fan base had wanted since little over a year, and the start hasn't been great.

However, Amos was quickly written off and he now has a POTM award under his belt and looking assured. Like KAG, he needs to knuckle down more and show why KR put him on a pedestal by waiting all summer for him.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  19. ForestHillBilly

FRom what I've seen he looks decent when he's given time and space, but lost heart too easily after being clattered, unlike Ricky Holmes.

lardiman likes this.
  20. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

About as sturdy as a cheesestring, but he is good technically. Billy is first choice for me based on what I have seen.