1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton season stats 2017-18

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Aug 1, 2017.

1. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Another positive is that Solly was given a rest <ok> and we didn't show signs of missing him.

lardiman likes this.
  2. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

15th October update;

With 20 minutes gone and Charlton running the game and already a goal to the good, I thought yesterday was going to be a comfortable afternoon. In the end it turned out to be somewhat less than comfortable, even though (effort aside) Doncaster looked pretty average.
    After 25 minutes or so Charlton seemed to lose intensity and focus, allowing Donny back into the game. This is not the first time we have done that this season; the last 15-20 minutes of the first half sometimes has been a problem. Fortunately on this occasion Rovers could not turn their share of the action into an equalising goal, though they did graze the crossbar.

However, Robinson's team talk at half time seems to have galvanised the troops, because we looked more determined after the break (and change of referee). Aside from a brief revival from Doncaster around the 75 minute mark Charlton bossed the game, and there were decent chances squandered to put the match out of reach of the visitors.
    Doncaster Rovers probably played about as well as they are capable of within the boundaries we dictated; only in that late part of the first half did we give them too much licence, losing the ball carelessly too many times in midfield. We ended up doing far more defending against them than should have been necessary during that frustrating period.
    But in the end we passed this test and took those critical 3 points. And we need the points from games like this, because it is only going to get tougher. Back-to-back away fixtures now against Oxford (6th) and Bradford (3rd). If Charlton can win just one of those games it will give hope that we can stand up to the teams around us in the top third of the table.

Positives:
    • A clean sheet, helped by decent performances from Amos and Solly.
    • No new injury worries that I am aware of right now.
    • Great backing from the North stand, particularly in the second half.
    • The (albeit brief) appearance of Ben Reeves.
    • We showed some grit against a physical side, when many fouls against us went unpunished.
    • Tarique Fosu - though he needs to temper his post hat-trick high with some better judgment at times.
    Negatives:
    • Attendance still woefully low. I don't think that will improve much now even if we win promotion.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Despite all those positives you list, it still won't feel like Charlton until Roland sells up.

lardiman likes this.
  4. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Next week will be interesting with two difficult away games.

This league is tight, it normally ease I suppose with the dross that makes it up. I will stick with what I say about the 15 game barometer, it's looking like we could muster a play-off position but think the top two will be a struggle as I see Wigan could potentially run away with and leave just the one place to fight for.

Anyway, can somebody make sure they get me a ticket for the play-off final, the glory hunter will come back with no shame!<party>

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I am in 100% agreement with you ForestHillbilly.

Please folks, don't misunderstand my meaning when I praise aspects of a performance in this thread, or list positive points from a match I have just been to.

Nothing that I say in these match reports - however hopeful or positive it may sound - is intended to be praise for Meire, Duchatelet or his regime.
    I oppose their ownership of our Club and I always will, until they are gone.

All of my comments are primarily related only to the most recent 90 minutes of football played.

If I say that the North Stand fans were noisy and positive, that means they got behind the team with popular chants like "since I was young" and "Valley Floyd road" of course.
    There have certainly been no pro-RD chants, and I cannot believe there ever will be.

The fans in the North do sing "Robinson's Red Army" a lot when things are going well, and many of them do seem to like the manager.
    I don't really like hearing KR's name sung, because personally I think he has not yet done enough to earn that popularity. But I see no point in pretending it does not happen.
    So far this season, there have been no anti-RD chants inside the Valley that I have heard. And aside from the times when we have played poorly (against Wigan and Bury) when there were groans and shouts of impatience and frustration, the atmosphere inside the ground has been better.
    Still however a pale shadow of what it used to be, since the attendance is still so very low. However, nobody - not even the most prejudiced apologist - could accuse the home fans of not backing the team. When Charlton have been found wanting at the Valley, the fans were in no way to blame.

My positive comments when made are relating only to our First Team's chances of winning promotion back to the Championship.
    In my view that promotion will bring the day closer when RD can strike a deal with a buyer, and finally he will be gone.
    Nothing I say after a win for our team is meant to be seen as support for the regime, or justification of it.
    Duchatelet's bizarre ideas about football will eventually destroy this Club unless he sells up and leaves. Already so much harm has been done, which may take years to undo.

The fact that the regime will make capital out of a promotion season, and use it as propaganda to try to convince ex-fans or potential new ones that RD can be trusted, is a bitter pill which must be swallowed in order to be rid of him sooner rather than later.
    If Charlton are promoted and Duchatelet does not sell, we will certainly come crashing back out of the Championship again the following season, in a debacle that will make the 'Fraeye' relegation season look like a picnic.

Other fans may disagree with me, and believe that promotion is not the best way to bring closer our freedom from Duchatelet.
    I completely respect their opinions.

I'm just trying to give an honest assessment of what I have seen on the pitch. I would never apologise for this current regime.

Beware of the virus likes this.
  6. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The damage has been done long ago.

Whatever may be said of previous ownerships at least it could be said that they wanted success, and there was not the anymosity from the fans to that current board.

This lot are scum.

lardiman likes this.
  7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

This is what makes RD unique in our history I think.
    Other previous owners may have had differing interests, differing priorities, and some were less able than others. Most however did want the Club to succeed and become better, for its own glory and the pride of the fans who supported it as well as financial reasons. Even what happened in the early 1980's - although far more of an immediate threat to our very existence - was not born of the mentality we see from our current (and wealthiest ever) owner.

Duchatelet has no interest in Charlton Athletic.
    He wanted to use it as part of his network experiment, reduce it to nothing more than a training facility and feeder Club for Standard Liege. And he expected Charlton supporters to just bend over and spread cheeks. As if a few Liege squad players keeping themselves match-fit at the Valley was a welcome replacement for the removal of our independence and the whitewashing of our identity.
    But the old fool was so incompetent and so enamored by his grinning young protoge that between them they managed to screw everything up.
    It takes more than a few powerpoint presentations to run a football Club. But Meire and the other cronies had not the first clue how to do anything except lie to supporters.

This lot have never cared about CAFC. They want to turn it into a suburban fun park and player farm, and they haven't even the honesty to come out and say it.
    They patronise, they condescend, they alienate and they tell lie after lie.
    No wonder they have enraged and estranged thousands of fans.

Of course, we will never find a 'perfect' owner for the Club.
    But just to have an owner again who cares about football and wants Charlton to win and climb the leagues for its own betterment will be like being born again.

Sat In Greenwich likes this.
  8. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

My comment was in no way intended to contradict your valid observations, Lardi, but as I was watching the game I was wondering what it would feel like with different owners, and there's no doubt it would feel much better. Roland gives the Valley a wide berth, the CEO is silent, Driesen's not scouting Eurosh1te any more for us, and there are the positives you list. There are also players whom Curbs would have called "Proper Charlton". However.............. the stench is still hanging over The Valley, there is only one way to get rid, and we all know what that is.

lardiman likes this.
  9. The Elfsborg Sparrow

<applause><applause>

Close the thread mod bods, the nail has been hit on the head, nothing more can be added.

10. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Ffs I forgot about Driesen, that c***!

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Season 2011-12 was a fantastic season, which I enjoyed so much. Being top of the table, winning so many games, anticipating our future back in the Championship again... Despite it only being a third tier season, it was a happy and hopeful time from beginning to end.

I can only speak for myself, but this season my happiness at every win is marred by knowing the news of it will be used by the regime as propaganda in their campaign to persuade people that RD is a patron who can be trusted, and that he is a 'good' owner who deserves respect or even gratitude.

If there is credit it should go to the players, the coaches and to Karl Robinson (for his management of the team, not his verbal defence of the board).
    The notion of the regime preening itself with the decent start Charlton have made, and thinking they deserve the adoration of fans simply because they have reigned in their bungling excesses and done a couple of basic things right, is stomach-turning.

Even if Charlton gain automatic promotion this season, I won't remember it as a time of optimism and hope for the future. I will welcome it with very little of the happiness I felt back in 2012. My only hope will be simply that it brings closer the day when Duchatelet and Meire are gone.

Because if they do not sell, Charlton will be torn to pieces in the Championship 2018-19 season.
    The gulf in quality between 2nd and 3rd tiers is huge.
    I doubt Karl Robinson could keep us in the Championship even with a decent owner, competent CEO and adequate funds for players.
    At present, he has none of those things. Nor will he ever have under this regime.

12. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

yep, it still doesnt feel like charlton. i dont get any joy from us winning anymore. i'd smile more if a accurate marksman decided to take out a few f*ckwits over in belgium, and then maybe i'd enjoy the football more. there is no point being carried away by this recent revival. the man doesnt want us to be successful, he wants his £50m back that he plundered by hiring even stupider f*ckwits. he'd take it out of your wallet if he could get away with it.

what annoys me most is the people saying KR is the man, and we're going up and buying into all this BS. we're not. the regime havent learned, they've just got better at PR. they're still c*nts.

13. The Elfsborg Sparrow

I wish squirrel face could have her muzzle taken off once a month, the woman is comedy gold who cannot help herself.

14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Can't agree with your 'marksman' comment SIG, though I appreciate it was not meant literally (blimey, I hope not at least!)

But the point of your post is spot on.
    They are not sorry. Indeed they don't even believe they have made any mistakes (that was just more lies). They have just got better at PR.
    Some folks may be buying the notion that KR is the answer to our troubles, and the even more daft notion that the regime is genuinely trying to make amends. But I don't think very many will be taken in by these fake gestures.
    Our better start to the season has the remainder of the North Stand fans cheering the players on, but there is virtually no rise in attendance.
    Most Charlton fans can see through the BS, and their estimate of RD and his freak circus will sink even lower.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

18th October update;

A decent away point against Oxford, one of our current promotion rivals.
    But disappointing that we could not hold onto the lead we took.

Positives:
    • According to reports we played good attacking football and created plenty of chances.
    • No injuries sustained that I am aware of.
    Negatives:
    • We dropped 2 points from a winning position.
    • Ahmed Kashi is now on 4 yellow cards. A one match suspension is not far away...

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

22nd October update;

A difficult game in nasty weather, maybe not the best football played - but in my opinion Charlton's best win of this season so far.
    Reports from fans who were there praise the team for its dogged determination, and praise Ben Amos and Naby Sarr in particular for great performances.
    To defeat Bradford City in front of 20,000 of their own fans is truly a test passed, and offers real hope for our dream of promotion back to the Championship.

I won't deny that I have been very sceptical until now, seeing many of our previous victories as shallow ones against inferior teams. Also I have not rated our manager, our goalkeeper or some other players (including Sarr) at all until now. But Karl Robinson has achieved something over this last week, taking 4 points from two tough matches on the road. I'm beginning to believe now that KR can guide this Charlton team to promotion, which will be a stunning achievement in the circumstances. At the very least KR must be in the running for October League One manager of the month!

Positives:
    • A clean sheet, thanks in no small part to Ben Amos. It seems our keeper is in the form of his career right now.
    • Naby Sarr reported as having a great game.
    • Tactics spot on from Karl Robinson.
    • No injuries that I have heard of.
    Negatives:
    • None, as far as the game is concerned. Charlton fans could not have asked for more yesterday.

17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

29th October update;

The result was everything yesterday. Hopefully the performance will not be repeated too many times.
    30 points from 15 games secures Charlton firmly within the play-off places, and keeps us in with a decent chance of grabbing an automatic spot.
    However, we will not win promotion playing like we did against AFC Wimbledon.

Positives:
    • A clean sheet - not that difficult considering AFC were so poor, but good to have anyway.
    • Superb free-kick from Ricky Holmes.
    • Reeves and now Marshall being eased into the first team, each getting some minutes of play yesterday.
    • No injuries that I know of at this time.
    • Kashi getting his fifth yellow card. Can we overcome Truro without him next weekend? Somehow I suspect we will find a way.
    Negatives:
    • Easily the poorest Charlton home performance of the season. The first half was utter crap, the second just moderately better.
    • Josh Magennis is off form; could have poked home a goal but was not quick enough.
    • Attendance slightly up I think, but the atmosphere went flat quite quickly. Only improved after the goal.

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

19th November update;

A fast paced and entertaining game I thought, with a bit of edge to it and some decent moves by Charlton in the first half.
    The referee was poor however even by League One standards, which actually added to the drama but also meant his unpredictability had too much of an effect on the game. However, I think Charlton's most serious failing was our inability to take chances when we were dominating. We really should have gone into the half time break 3 goals up.
    Our other weakness was a lack of impact substitutes - something MK Dons used to great effect.

Reeves and Marshall looked as though they needed more proper game time (Reeves in particular, though he was predictably bashed about by the opposition with little protection from the referee). Yesterday's time on the pitch should at least help to make BR and MM sharper in future matches.
    Despite myself I have to say Naby Sarr looked impressive though. I'm not a fan of his, but that's the best I can recall seeing from him.
    The draw was a disappointment for sure after all the effort put in and our domination of the first half, but it's a set-back rather than a disaster.
    Hopefully we can take 3 points from the visit of struggling Rochdale on Tuesday evening.

Positives:
    • More proper (as in hard-fought) game time for Reeves and Marshall, should help them in the longer term.
    • A good goal for Big Josh.
    • Naby Sarr.
    • No new injuries that I'm aware of at the moment.
    Negatives:
    • The obvious one - two points dropped from a game we should have been able to win. Every point matters if we want a top 2 finish.
    • Nobody on the bench who could really make a difference. Hopes were high when Fosu came on, but apart from him we had little else.
    • Still fewer than 10,000 home fans - and that's the official figure. Average attendance up by less than 300 this season.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  19. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Posting st 5:30, Lardi. You’ll set IA off soon enough <laugh>

lardiman likes this.
  20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

22nd November update;

A patchy performance (particularly poor in the first half) against a limited team with little to offer but commitment and physicality.
    We ground out the win in the end, and the 3 points is really all that matters.
    But defensive slackness could have seen Charlton 0-2 down in twenty minutes, and the crowd (such as it was) were forced to shout their frustration at a confused and disorientated looking team. Some improvement after half time, but overall a forgettable performance.
    Improvement will certainly be needed against Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury, or Charlton will come unstuck.

Positives:
    • We got the win and the points. Absolutely vital.
    • Mark Marshall played well, as did Ricky Holmes.
    • Ben Amos pulled off some important saves and was brave to claim the ball late on when he knew he was going to be badly clattered.
    Negatives:
    • Ben Reeves, not a stellar contribution in the first half, then retiring injured.
    • Karlan Ahearne-Grant. Gets ironic cheers when he does something right. Distasteful perhaps, but not without cause.
    • Konsa and Sarr I thought were poor in the first half.
    • The attendance. Fewer than 6,000 for sure; the echoing atmosphere inside the Valley was like a first round league cup tie against a pub team.