1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Charlton play offs

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, May 8, 2018.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

so the stats show Charlton form as 11th in the table and town are 15th
    who would you like to see leading the charge Payne or Morris?
    as both seems to be on a goal drought were do you think the goals will come from?

whilst ogogo has left a huge gap in the midfield did you think Riley did well enough in that unfamiliar role to be given the nod.?

who would you prefer to see on the left wing the fearless Eisa or the knowledgeable Rodman ?
    let us hope after the rest Nolan is firing on all cylinders as our midfield creative heart

will Charlton repeat the tactics of the last game were they did everything they could to interrupt the flow of the game?

will town end the season with a roar or a whimper ?

all to revealed on Thursday let us hope we enjoy the experience and have a platform to build from for the home game.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You need one goal over two legs and let none in and you are at Wembley. I don't think form really matters in these games as they are like Cup ties. One off and done. I will be watching with interest but I've said this before on your board, you deserve to go up having many more points than the others over 46 games already. Sadly you still have to play for it and play offs are often not fair.

Matster likes this.
  3. Zenfootball2

after an amazing season the next two and hopefully three games will end with either a roar or a whimper, can the players raise there games ,can Hurst sprinkle some magic?

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well you have the one goal and that's 25% job done so far. On to the next 25%. Good result for you tonight.

Zenfootball2 and Matster like this.
  5. Zenfootball2

relived the high tempo ,pressing town were back, concerned that Charlton had five free headers , town got stronger as the game progressed ,stunning goal .it would be easy to just focus on nolan but the off ball movement created the space and a delightful header from Payne set it up for Nolan..

Matster likes this.
  6. Zenfootball2

put the Nolan goal on repeat with my breakfast what a nice way to start the day.

Matster likes this.
  7. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

I am very glad to be dining on humble pie as I did not see that performance coming. I watched on Sky Sports from behind the sofa in the first half but gradually emerged and felt we were the better team overall. Bowyer made an absolute clown of himself with his ridiculous comments (If they were a far, far better team why did they finish 16 points behind us and if he thinks we were dirty I hope for his sake Charlton never play Lincoln). The second game will be tough but the lads have put themselves in a great position to make the final. Lets all get behind them at the Meadow. Come on you blues!

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  8. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was a very good performance and yes it was a surprise to get there result we did get in the end. Charlton were all over us at the start and could have got the goals. However we soaked up the pressure and eventually got what was a cracking goal by Nolan. It was very similar to our start to the season and hopefully we can repeat the feat on Sunday.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  9. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Good luck to your lads later today. As I told you back in February, Shrewsbury really impressed me when we played you, and it is no surprise to me to see you in the position you are. Fully deserved in my opinion, particularly for your consistency all season. By rights it should be yourselves and Rotherham in the final, but as we all know, justice doesn't always prevail, especially where the play offs are concerned. You've done the hard bit so best of luck in finishing the job later today.

Matster and Zenfootball2 like this.
  10. Zenfootball2

thank just hope the high tempo , press them all over the park team turn up

11. Zenfootball2

YES!!! what an atmosphere , we can continue to dream

Matster likes this.
  12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

50% done and a one off to come. Well done Shrewsbury and best of luck at Wembley. Don't let one in and you have a better than even chance of winning as the stats over 2 legs show.

13. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Great performance and the best atmosphere I can remember at the new ground. Rodman and Nolan were immense throughout. Another ludicrous statement from Bowyer who simply cannot understand that his team were outplayed, outrun and outfought over two legs. What a magnificent effort from our lads after the disappointment of missing out on automatic promotion - whatever happens at Wembey we can be very proud of this team.

14. Zenfootball2

yes the atmosphere was great just like the result,

15. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a great result! Looking forward to another trip to Wembley if I can organise it.

What a team, I was lacking in optimism towards the end of the season but Hurst seems to have worked his magic on the squad. Let's just hope we get a much better ref this time around.

Zenfootball2 likes this.