1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton Athletic V PNE

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Sep 12, 2011.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Evening plumber, I hope you're well sir?

Brownie never put out a decent team in the Carling Cup all the time he was at Hull and as the league is all that matters to you lads this season, I'm sure it will be the same tomorrow night.

I'm told Ash is starting, courtesy of our disgraced ex-Chairman's Twitter, he's apparently meeting Ash and Brownie for dinner after the game.

Good to see you've started well, I told you Brownie wouldn't let you down. <ok>

2. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Didn't Middleton become the youngest player last season, also thought Steve Doyle was younger than Barton

3. theflyingplumber

Evening scooter...<ok> I am very pleased with Phil Brown so far, he and Horton have won over most of the fans although there are some who have yet to be convinced. But that is always the case...<laugh>
    Ashbee needs match fitness and was always going to play some part tomorrow if fit, and he is but far from being match fit I suspect.
    A bit surprised you haven't been invited to that little dinner get together, you haven't upset them in one of your articles have you ???..<laugh>

Good to see you around scooter, hope the Tigers have a good season etc...<ok>

:)

4. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

How is Brownies sun tan these days ? You got a tanning centre inside Deepdale ? Remember when one of our old players, Andy Todd broke Brownies jaw when they were both at Bolton. Toddy later joined us and gave our keeper Dean Kiely a lovely shiner in a training ground bust up.

5. theflyingplumber

Evening The Rifleman..<ok>

Brownies tan looks a tad rusty probably due to all the rain we have had up here...<laugh>
    Yep we do have a tanning centre inside Deepdale, we call it "the pitch" and that is where the opposition get tanned...<laugh>
    Andy Todd was a bit of a loose cannon by all accounts and didn't fire blanks when someone lit his fuse, PNE could probably do with someone like him now..<ok>

6. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

7. theflyingplumber

8. theflyingplumber

Andreas Arestidou will make his Preston North End first-team debut in tonight’s Carling Cup clash with Charlton.
    The 21-year-old has been North End’s back-up goalkeeper since arriving at Deepdale 14 months ago but gets his chance at The Valley in place of Iain Turner, who is resting a slight injury picked up in the win over Yeovil.
    PNE boss Phil Brown believes the time is right to have a look at Morecambe-born Arestidou in competitive first-team action.
    He’s also likely to give a first start to striker Juvhel Tsoumou, while club captain Ian Ashbee will continue his recovery from a knee injury in the second-round tie.

Ashbee will almost certainly play from the start, but new signing Daley is not ready to play any part until he settles in and becomes match fit.
    Brown has stated that he wants to win this game and keep the momentum going, and is looking forward to the next round IF PNE can win tonight's tie.

9. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

oH WELL 1 0 DOWN never mind

10. themaclad

Strewth our Reserves leading against their Reserves

11. Eastbourne Addick

ANyone got a radio link to this one

12. blockmaddick

blockmaddick Member

ive just noticed sheffield united are losing 1-0 to udders, which puts us top of the league as it stands, has it ever happened that a team go top of the league while theyre reserves are playing in the cup??

13. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Sheff Weds are 4 0 down at stevenage.....all good then so far..carling cup who cares.

14. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_london
    BBC Radio London

Not pleasant listening. We are getting slaughtered. Francis lucky to stay on the pitch apparently.

15. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Said it before, say it again... Who cares about the cup? Fair okay to Preston if you go through- but the sounds of it your reserves doing a great job so credit due. I just can't help but have eyes on the league.

Selfish reasons, but I too hope this will make people realise how important the Hayes and Stephens of the world are!

16. themaclad

Not going to plan 2 up Zibika on as well

17. Eastbourne Addick

Cheers mate yer found it earlier other ones wernt working in my area

18. theflyingplumber

PNE take the spoils at the Valley in the second round of the Carling cup by beating the Addicks 0-2

Teams for tonight's encounter :

PNE: Arestidou, Ashbee, Carlisle, Morgan, Coutts, Tsoumou, Barton, Mayor, Parry, Russell, Clucas.
    Subs: Comrie, Nicholson, McLean, Wright, McLellan, Mellor, Zibaka.

CHARLTON: Sullivan, Hughes, Evina, Green, Doherty, Benson, Euell, Pritchard, Francis, Bover Izquierdo, Cort.
    Subs: Hamer, Wagstaff, Mambo, Davisson, Popo, Warren, Smith.

PNE took the lead after ten minutes when Darell Russell hit a low drive past Sullivan.

In the second half Danny Mayor crowned a very good personal display when he increased the PNE lead to 0-2
    Mayor got the ball from Barton, cut inside and curled home a 25-yard right footed drive.

PNE put in a very workman like display with Danny Mayor having an outstanding game and causing the Charlton defence problems all night.
    Russell did well in midfield and was always looking to have a shot on goal.
    Ashbee did very well on his return from injury and put in some telling tackles.
    Parry again had a terrific game and playing behind Mayor allowed the youngster to show off his talents.
    Clucas did well playing at fullback and Morgan had a decent game as well, It might not have been one of Carlisle's better performances but he helped PNE keep a clean sheet.
    Arestidou in goal made one or two telling saves and overall had a very good game on his PNE debut.
    Tsoumou another making his PNE debut played as a loan striker up front and run his socks off all night and with better luck could well have scored.
    Barton seemed to do well enough in midfield along with Coutts.

History was created for PNE when with 12 minutes left to play Brandon Zibaka wearing the number 40 shirt, at the age of 16, came on as a substitute and become the youngest player ever to take the field in a first team game.

I didn't attend the game so all the comments are based on the PNE minute by minute match report. All in all PNE thoroughly deserved the win and played some very decent football. I really can't comment on Charlton's performance but possibly their fans can add their thoughts on the game to this thread.

In terms of what will happen in the league fixtures between the two clubs, tonight's result is meaningless and no doubt many Addicks fans will be unmoved by going out of this competition, and they can now concentrate on the league. Being a Northender I am mainly pleased by some of the performances of the fringe and young players that does show PNE have a decent squad for the times ahead.

Well done PNE and not your night Athletic supporters.

19. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

good win for the second team :)

20. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear Brownies winning the fans over, he's a bit of an egomaniac but likeable all the same, though if you ever make it to the PL, he'll definitely screw it up <laugh>

I was never going to get an invite to that dinner, Duffen even banned me from his Twitter account after I requested specific details of missing club funds.

Hope it continues to go well for you. <ok>