1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship Those coming in and going out

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, May 26, 2015.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Preston North End are delighted to confirm Ched Evans has signed a new deal to become a player-coach.

The striker, whose contract was up at the end of the 2023/24 season, was offered an opportunity to stay at the club in both a playing and coaching capacity – as confirmed in the retained list.

Ched has now put pen to paper on that deal and is looking forward to getting started in his new role, with the beginning of pre-season just a few days away.

Ched said: “I really appreciate the contract that’s been offered. I’m really happy with it.

“I’m super excited to get going again this season. Player-coach is a unique situation, but I believe there’s still a lot of playing in me, but in the meantime I can get experience on the coaching side.

“Preston’s a place I’ve come to love and I know everyone here. For me, having the opportunity to stay here was massive.”

please log in to view this image

Since his arrival in 2021, Ched has made 92 appearances for North End, scoring 16 goals in that period.

During the previous few years, the 35-year-old has been working on progressing with coaching, and has now completed both his UEFA B and A Licence.

The striker feels he has plenty still to offer on the pitch when playing opportunities come around, but he’s also excited to learn and develop as a coach, and acting as a bridge between the dressing room and the management staff.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “I’m really pleased Ched’s accepted the chance to join the great coaching staff we’ve got already.

“He’ll work closely with Peter Murphy to help develop the youngsters but also help out with the seniors and the strikers, because he’s been there, seen it and done it.

“He’s got valuable experience and we still feel he’s got a lot to offer on the pitch, but off it as well.

“We let him take a select XI in an in-house training match during an international break last season, just to let him experience it, and you could see what he has to offer. We think he’ll be a valuable coach for us.”

2. themaclad

Preston North End can confirm that Alan Browne’s contract expired yesterday evening on 30th June 2024.

Alan has informed the club that he will not be accepting the offer of a three-year extension to his existing contract and he therefore leaves North End with the best wishes of everybody.

Whatever the remaining period of his playing career has in store for him, the club would like to wish Alan, Shauna, and their family all the best for the future. He will forever remain welcome back at Deepdale.

In 2014, an 18-year-old Irishman joined Preston North End with the ambition of making it in the English game.

Slight in stature and quiet in nature, not many – if any – would have foreseen what he was to do at the football club.

Club captain and a member of the 400 Club, Alan leaves PNE with club legend status.

A crunching tackle in midfield and an assist on his debut in March 2014 was a sign of things to come.

Browney was becoming more and more involved in the first team set-up, and by the time the 2014/15 Play-Off final came along, he was helping his side lift the trophy to become a Championship player.

With the likes of John Welsh and Paul Gallagher among those in midfield, competition for places was rife, yet his influence was growing with every outing.

Within his first three second-tier seasons, Browne had been named Young Player of the Year and Player of the Year, and the 12 goals scored in the 2018/19 campaign was his best return to date.

Following the departure of Tom Clarke in 2020, Browney was officially handed the captaincy – albeit having worn the armband already on a number of occasions.

The No.8 soon became the 27th player to reach 300 appearances for North End, and continued to celebrate different landmarks, including his first Lancashire derby victory over rivals Blackpool – something he always wanted to do.

Consistently playing around 40 games a season, it wasn’t long before he cemented his name even further into the history books, as in January 2024 he joined only 12 other players in making 400 appearances.

That total’s since been taken to 412 and his performances throughout the 2023/24 campaign earned him the Sir Tom Finney Player of the Year award for the second time.

It’s been a decade of highs and lows, and Alan has been there for all of them, and he now leaves with the best wishes of everyone at Preston North End.

3. themaclad

Lewis Leigh has joined Bromley on a permanent basis for an undisclosed fee, with the deal also including a significant sell-on clause.

The midfielder, who spent the first half of the 2023/24 season on loan with the Ravens, has signed for the club following their promotion to Sky Bet League Two.

Lewis joined North End at U14 level and went on to sign his first professional deal at North End in August 2021.

His debut arrived a year later in a Carabao Cup victory over Huddersfield Town, and he went on to make a further three appearances.

Everyone at Preston North End would like to thank Lewis for his efforts during his time at the club and wish him all the very best for the future.

4. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to announce Sam Greenwood has signed on loan until the end of the season from Leeds United.

The attacking midfielder, who can operate in a number of forward positions, has experience playing in both the Premier League and the Sky Bet Championship.

The 22-year-old becomes the first signing of the summer for North End and will travel with the first team to Spain this weekend for the seven-day training camp.

Sam said: “I’m over the moon. I can’t wait to get started and meet all the lads, and just to work hard to see where we can get.

“It went really quickly and when I knew that Ryan [Lowe] wanted me, I believe that he’s a manager that can get the best out of me. I know how good he is and he’s a young up-and-coming manager so it gives me confidence to play under him.

“I can’t wait to play at Deepdale in front of the fans and get them off their seats.”

Sam, a former England youth international, spent time with the Sunderland and Arsenal Academy, before joining Leeds United in 2020.

• please log in to view this image
    The midfielder has made 35 appearances for his parent club, with the majority of those coming in the top flight, and he also spent the 2023/24 campaign on loan with Middlesbrough.

Sam won Boro’s Goal of the Season award for a stunning free-kick against Leicester City, with set pieces being one of his top attributes.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “I’m really pleased with the signing of Sam. He’s a great footballer with quality with his left and right foot, and his set pieces are excellent too.

“I actually spent a bit of time with Sam last summer when he was training abroad and I saw what he was capable of.

“We tried to sort something then but we couldn’t quite get it done and he ended up going to Middlesbrough.

“We feel he has a big part to play and we’re really pleased to have him with us for the season.”

5. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to announce Stefán Teitur Thórdarson has joined the club on a three-year deal, subject to international clearance.

The Iceland international has made the move from Danish top flight side Silkeborg IF for an undisclosed fee, and the club hold the option to extend the deal by a further year.

Standing at 6ft 2in, the versatile midfielder has earned 20 caps for his country, with one of those being an appearance at Wembley against England in June earlier this year.

Stefán said: “I feel delighted. I feel very proud for myself and my family to be joining such a big club. It’s really a dream for me.

“The Championship is one of the leagues I’ve had my eye on. To play for a club of Preston’s stature is really a privilege.

“I’m excited to join up with the team out in Spain and meet the group, meet the staff and start to get settled in.”

Stefán, 25, started his career in his homeland before making the move to Denmark in 2020.

He’s since gone on to make more than 100 appearances for Silkeborg, and during the 2023/24 season he netted 11 goals and lifted the Danish Cup.

Stefán also has experience playing on the European stage, having featured in qualifiers for the UEFA Europa League and Conference League.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “Stefán came to our attention through our scouting department and we’ve watched him closely ever since.

“I spoke to him and made a presentation to him, showing where he can fit into our system and he was very excited about it.

“We knew there were a couple of other Championship clubs in for him too so it’s brilliant that he’s chosen us, and a lot of credit has to go to the club for that.

“I think we’ve gone above and beyond really. Peter Ridsdale has worked ever so hard to get a deal done and obviously a big thanks must go to Craig Hemmings for allowing us to spend that money.

“As people have already seen from clips on social media, Stefán’s powerful, strong and physical, and he’ll bring a different dimension to our team.”

6. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

We'll see.

7. themaclad

Video from Spain, he shoots from about 30 yards out top corner of the net

8. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to announce the arrival of Kaine Kesler-Hayden on a season-long loan from Aston Villa.

The 21-year-old, who operates as a wing-back, has experience playing in each of England’s top four divisions, including three appearances in the Premier League.

Kaine will take the No.29 shirt and will go straight into contention for the opening game of the Sky Bet Championship season against Sheffield United on Friday night.

Kaine said: “I’m just so happy it went so smoothly and quickly. I’m delighted to be here and I can’t wait to get started.

“When I found out Preston wanted me to be here I just wanted to get here as quickly as possible ready for the game on Friday.

“I had a chat with the gaffer at Villa and he thought the best thing for me to do was to get another season of minutes under my belt and a bit more experience. I think this is the best place for me to do that.”

The Birmingham-born defender joined the Aston Villa Academy at a young age and progressed through to eventually make his professional debut in January 2021.

He then gained experience in the EFL with Swindon Town, MK Dons, Huddersfield Town and most recently Plymouth Argyle.

The former England youth international was recalled by Aston Villa for the second half of the 2023/24 campaign, and he featured three times in the top flight as well as playing in the semi-final of the UEFA Conference League.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “We’ve followed Kaine for a couple of years now. He’s that tricky wing-back that we’ve wanted to add to the team.

“He’s a ball carrier who can get fans off their seats. He’s exciting and once we knew we could get a deal done with Aston Villa, we thought let’s get this done as soon as possible.

“He’s been on our radar for a while now. He’s a fantastic lad and a fantastic player, who we’re excited to have with us for the upcoming season.”

9. themaclad

Kaedyn Kamara has joined Workington AFC on loan until Saturday 9th November.

The central midfielder will go straight into contention to feature in their opening match of the Northern Premier League campaign on Saturday against Guiseley.

Kaedyn, 18, had his one-year option activated by the club this summer to extend his time at North End, after the completion of his two-year scholarship.

The dynamic midfielder has made one senior appearance for the Lilywhites, back in January 2023 in an FA Cup victory over Huddersfield Town.

Good luck at Workington, Kaedyn!

10. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to announce Jeppe Okkels has joined the club on a permanent basis from Utrecht, subject to international clearance.

The 25-year-old winger has signed for an undisclosed fee, putting pen to paper on a three-year deal, with the club holding the option of an additional 12 months.

Jeppe said: “I’m really happy to arrive here. It’s a dream come true to get the chance to play for Preston in the Championship. I look forward to getting started.

“I can’t wait. I will be in the crowd watching the boys in the cup against Sunderland. It’s going to be nice to feel the atmosphere, see the pitch and the stadium. I’m excited for everything here.”

The former Denmark youth international came through the ranks with Silkeborg – the former club of fellow summer recruit Stefán Thórdarson – before moving on to Swedish side Elfsborg.

After making more than 100 appearances there, with a return of 29 goals, Jeppe signed for Utrecht in January 2024.

Now a Preston North End player, Jeppe has taken the No.23 shirt at Deepdale and it's hoped he'll be available to feature for the first time in this weekend’s Sky Bet Championship clash against Swansea City.

Interim manager Mike Marsh said: “We’re delighted that Jeppe’s decided to join us and the deal’s over the line.

“Jeppe’s someone we’ve been chasing for some time. He’s an attack-minded player who can play on both sides.

“He’s got an eye for a goal, capable of making that final pass and he’ll add a bit of pace to the team, too.”

11. themaclad

Finlay Cross-Adair has joined Prescot Cables on loan until 1st December.

The striker, who signed a professional deal with PNE in December 2022, has made six senior appearances during his time at Deepdale.

He’ll now join up with the Northern Premier League side who were promoted via the Play-Offs last season.

It will be a welcome return to action for Fin, who suffered serious injuries in a road traffic accident last October, but having worked ever so hard to return, he’s now fit and ready to play again.

Good luck, Fin!

Noah Mawene has joined Sky Bet League Two side Newport County on loan until the end of the 2024/25 season, subject to international clearance.

The midfielder, who has been with the club since joining as an U13, committed to his first professional deal in 2021 and has since gone on to make eight senior appearances for North End.

Noah signed a new contract in February 2024 to keep him at Deepdale until 2026, and a few months later he and his younger brother Theo made history as they became the first brothers to play in the same PNE match since 1985.

At 19, Noah will now head out on the first loan spell of his career and look to gain valuable EFL experience with Nelson Jardim’s Newport County team, who currently sit fifth in the early stages of the League Two season.

Good luck, Noah!

Kacper Pasiek has joined National League North side Marine on a work experience loan deal until 1st January.

The left-sided defender, who had a one-year option exercised in the summer after the completion of his scholarship, will go straight into contention for their home game against King’s Lynn Town on Saturday 24th August.

While yet to make a competitive professional appearance, Kacper has been with the first team since the beginning of pre-season after an impressive year with the U19s last campaign, which ended with success in the Youth Alliance Cup and League.

The 18-year-old also earned experience out on loan with Warrington Town during the 2023/24 season.

Good luck with Marine, Kacper!

Josh Seary has joined Northern Irish side Larne on loan until 12th January, subject to international clearance.

The 19-year-old has made five professional appearances for North End, including four games in the 2023/24 Sky Bet Championship campaign.

The right-back will spend the new few months gaining experience in the NIFL Premiership, as Larne go in search of a third successive title win.

Larne are also a step away from making it through to the UEFA Conference League, with a Play-Off second leg against Lincoln Red Imps coming up on Thursday. While Josh is ineligible to feature in that tie, he would be in contention if they were to qualify for the main tournament.

Good luck, Josh!

12. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to announce Will Keane has signed a contract extension which will keep him at Deepdale until 2026.

The striker, who joined the club in July 2023, was North End’s top goalscorer during the previous Sky Bet Championship campaign and opened his account for this season last weekend.

Due to be out of contract in the summer of 2025, the 31-year-old has now extended his deal by a further year.

Will said: “I’m absolutely delighted. Discussions have been ongoing for a while so to get it over the line is really pleasing.

“I’m really pleased to extend my stay and hopefully I can just crack on and keep contributing to the team.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time here and was really keen to extend that and keep progressing.

“We’ve had a good lift with the new manager coming in and there’s a great buzz about the place. Hopefully we’ll keep improving, keep progressing, and I want to be part of that.”

Will spent the first half of the 2015/16 season on loan at Deepdale from Manchester United, scoring a memorable goal in a derby day victory over Burnley.

After joining the club permanently last summer, the striker went on to score 13 league goals during the 2023/24 campaign, as well as assisting a further three.

The Republic of Ireland international scored his first goal of the current season in the recent 1-0 victory over Luton Town, which was the opening match of the Paul Heckingbottom era.

The manager said: “Conversations have been bubbling on in the past and my opinion is that he’s an important part of the squad. I don’t see that changing in the next 12 months.

“Will wants to stay. He doesn’t want to leave and he’s really happy here so I think it’s a really good bit of business, firstly to get him in initially and then to keep him here a little bit longer.

“I know about all the speculation, but this has been ongoing anyway so we’ve always been relaxed because we’ve known what outcome we all want.”

13. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to announce Josh Bowler has joined the club on loan from Nottingham Forest.

The winger, who has made 134 appearances in the Championship, will spend the remainder of the 2024/25 season at Deepdale.

Josh will take the No.40 shirt and will first be available to feature against Middlesbrough on Saturday 14th September.

Josh said: “I’m very happy. I’m looking forward to getting started and playing football again and enjoying it.

“After speaking to the manager about how he wants to play and what his plan is for me, it was really good and it was something I was looking forward to.

“It’s obviously going to be a little bit different to what the fans are used to seeing but it’s going to be exciting because it’s a forward-thinking, aggressive style of play which I’m ready to get playing.

“I’m an out and out attacker. I love attacking. I love beating players, getting on the ball and running with it, and getting fans off their seat which I think is something going out of the game.”

Josh started his professional career with Queens Park Rangers before joining Premier League side Everton.

Following a loan spell with Hull City, the 25-year-old signed for Blackpool and scored seven goals in the 2021/22 campaign, and as a result earned a move back to the top flight with Nottingham Forest.

Further loans with Olympiacos and Blackpool followed, and his most recent spell saw him make 39 appearances in the 2023/24 season with Cardiff City.

Manager Paul Heckingbottom said: “We’re really pleased to get Josh’s loan over the line because he’s a different type of player who adds something new to the squad.

“He’s experienced at this level and he was really keen to come and work with us, which is a really good sign.

“He’ll obviously not be available for Saturday’s game but we’re looking forward to getting to work with him throughout the international break.”