1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Champions League Group Stage: Liverpool Vs Sevilla

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Sep 11, 2017.

1. saintKlopp

I think he means that we won't necessarily avoid them by topping our group. <ok>

2. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Yeah, we may finish second and end up with the more favourable draw.

3. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

This is what some call game management. We've not been able to do that for many years. The thing is that with many top teams if they are 2-0 up, they feel confident they will see the game through. With us, if it is 1-0 or even 2-0 up against an enterprising team and if there is enough time left, we feel we could drop the points. This is what happened at Watford and now against Sevilla.

We need a solid defence that can see out these periods when the other side is on top. Even the very elite sides can be expected to come under pressure for limited periods.

The uncertainty in our back four is now really tangible. Klopp swapping goal keepers does not help with understanding.

4. Rubbersoul

Rubbersoul Well-Known Member

The keepers only work if both are decent. Like Madrid and Arsenals.

We have one average keeper and one dreadful keeper. Guess which one is which <laugh>

BobbyD likes this.
  5. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

Danny Ward is average and Karius & Mignolet add up to one dreadful keeper.

6. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

I think the problem is Klopp has not invented a new way to play football, he is just copying the Keegan method from Keegan's days at Newcastle. High scoring games, but we are just as likely to lose as win. Every game is a gamble we will score more than the opposition, as opposed to stopping them scoring at all by having a defence and controlling the game.

7. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Obviously, football is a fickle game, but at this point I would put us as most likely to top our group.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

As I recall Newcastle were not that bad.

The issue here is in a league with 6 top sides this style won t work.

You get a 2 team league and the top side falters you can win.... could be where klopp got his success.

It's fun. It's nice to watch but it's going nowhere ultimately.

We need to win things. If klopp seriously can only deliver this then we won't win a thing. My view is what I have seen this season is WORSE than last year.. as in less defensively secure.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

Two things.

Away in Russia
    Away in spain.

I don't think we have the balls to do it.

10. ademuzzy

ademuzzy Well-Known Member

So are you saying klopp isn't the guy to get us the title? If he isn't then who is?

11. Lucaaas

We lost 6 games out of 38 last season, what a load of nonsense to say that we are as likely to lose a game as we are to win.

saintKlopp and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  12. moreinjuredthanowen

Rafa :bandit:

No seriously.. Either klopp needs great players with intelligence to make this work or he's done as much as he is going to already.

I mean last year we were not this wide open and I mean wide freaking open to a quick couple of passes.

Right now I think last year off could get along and be ok bar blunders in open play but this year I am seeing a complete absence of any cover at all and the two cbs are constantly one pass away from a one on one.

Why is this?

Players?

Manager?

I don't know but I do know we will do faff all til one cm stands between those two cbs and locks this down.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

That was last year. This year we look worse to me.

14. Lucaaas

1 loss out of 7 against games that included City, Arsenal, Hoffenheim x2 & Sevilla. Wow, terrible...

Its far too early to be drawing any sort of meaningful conclusions to the season ahead.

Look at Barca's results when they won the treble, Chelsea's start last season etc. Not worth looking too much into results at this early stage of the season, good or bad.

15. moreinjuredthanowen

Has the defence looked worse yes or no.

End of.

Results

Watford.. second best to average side. Mane dragged us to lead when we should have lost.
    L'arse. They were awful. I don't think we were as good as we had been when we beat them before.
    Hoffenheim. Bang average side. Only lumped it at Moreno.
    City. Thumping. Did ok going forward. Were behind to awful goal where team were in transition to attack when head tennis was going on.
    Seville. Behind to do. Go ahead then **** it again.

Once more defensive issues.

It looks a shambles to me at the back. You can only be dragged along for so long by risking it all going forward. It looks worse at the back to me right now.

16. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

Am afraid that this is pretty much were i am right now. Klopp bought 3 attacking players and one defender. We are not going to change anytime soon even if we do buy VvD (or similar).

Klopp has never lied to us though. It is indeed rock n roll football.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

Yup.

It'll be fun but expect no silverware.

18. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

Ultimately the buck stops with Jürgen, his job depends on success, I reckon if he can do a Wenger and qualify for the CL and win a few domestic trinkets occasionally the owners will be happy.

Or.

Klopp has(behind the scenes)given Lovren, Klavin etc an ultimatum, that if they don't show vast improvement they'll be replaced next summer, and the owners have given Klopp a timescale to win silverware or he's toast.

Or

I'm wrong on both counts and I've slipped into a parallel universe where losers are deemed winners and we're going for the title.<whistle>

19. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Salah =1 who are the other 2 ?

20. Lucaaas

Solanke & Oxlade?

I think anyone who thinks Klopp rates Mignolet, Lovren or Moreno highly are a being a bit silly.

He's tried to replace all of them in his time here. He couldn't get Van Dijk over the line because of someone inside the club ****ing up and leaking the news to the press. Mignolet's replacement was supposed to be Karius but he's had such a terrible start it would've been madness to persist with him, he's still young so he's easing him in slowly and I think he still believes long term he is the man for the goalie position.

He's just been forced to play them all because of circumstances mostly outside his control. It's not ideal but what good would Klopp coming out and saying they're all ****e and he doesn't want them do?

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.