1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Champions day

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by floridaspearl, Oct 18, 2017.

1. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

I thought I'd get us started.in the mile I'm going with roll poly. I feel she just hitting her peak,the o'brien horses tend to peak at this time of year and receiving weight at 12/1 I'll give her a good chance but it won't be easy. And in the champion stakes you've got to be looking at the o'brien fillies but I'm tempted to go with Brametot. I thought he was unlucky in the arc. If he runs to a similar level and gets the breaks could be a surprise winner.

2. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

That entry from Brendan Powell in the long distance cup has to be some sort of joke!!

3. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Shall I have my usual rant about the race titles at this meet?!? Either very insipid or downright offensive.

4. Sir Barney Chuckles

Almost certainly owner driven. I would expect she wants a day smoozing with the ‘big hitters’.

Dr Viegas, the owner detailed above, incidentally was struck off, by the British Medical Council, in 2008.

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  5. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

I have been given SPECULATIVE BID in the last race and when I had a look for an early price I could find 14/1. I will explain what I was told later on.

6. Sir Barney Chuckles

Jim Crowley now booked according to the RP.

7. Grecian Mick

I did notice that SBC, don't know if that is good or not because most of this fellas wins have been with non other than Jamie Spencer on board :)

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All 4 of them in fact

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

16/1 available with a few. 12s with PP

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

SB has had 5 runs over 8f, one of them at Ascot in a valuable handicap btn 2¾l on firm ground - "raced far side, held up towards rear, headway over 1f out, soon badly hampered and lost momentum, rallied and kept on inside final furlong, finished well, not recover"

After 778 break he finished 5½l, 7th of 18 in a 7f valuable handicap at Ascot on GS going "held up towards rear stand side, headway 2f out, ridden entering final furlong, kept on inside final furlong"

This all looks promising if we know he's been primed for the race

11. Grecian Mick

So here it is......There is an elderly gent that goes into the same shop as I on a Saturday morning and we have a chat about racing over a coffee etc as he had been to Ascot the previous weekend and he likes to have large flutter now and then. Anyway on Monday I saw him in town and he was telling me what happened after I left on the shop on Saturday. When he was looking at the early prices on screen in the corner another elderly chap (never seen before) came in to place some bets and also wanted to see some early prices. He handed over a slip to the Gent I know with the name of SPECULATIVE BID on it and said if you want a tip here's one, running next weekend at Ascot. After asking a few questions this chappie said that he used to live 2 doors down from the trainer of this horse but has since moved but stays in regular contact with him and gave him his horse with the words "will be very disappointed if not going very close".
    Having looked at the race and SB's profile I see he has run very well over and around this distance with 4 wins with Jamie Spencer on board as Ron has mentioned too and now has Jim Crowley on this time. SB has been off for a long time and ran well on comeback 2 weeks ago. Maybe that was a nice prep race with this race in mind which does look likely. Plenty of promising pointers if all above board which I don't see why they wouldn't be but as we know nothing is guaranteed. Currently around 14/1 so an each way option too and hopefully some bookies may even pay for extra placings. Only passing on what I've heard and not telling anyone to put the mortgage on either but hopefully come just after 4.30 we will all be cheering.

12. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Order Of St George surely a wheelbarrow job currently 6/4 I can’t see him going off that price, especially with the rain due to come! I’m on <ok>

gazboy and Grecian Mick like this.
  13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Based purely on his 4th in the Arc over what was probably an inadequate trip he has to be the one to beat. But there are a few interesting ones in opposition. I wouldn't rule out Big Orange, who got the better of OOSG in an epic tussle on this course in June. That was half a mile further so OOSG may have the speed to reverse that form over 2m. I like Stradivarius and think he should be thereabouts. If it doesn't come up soft he would be my selection. Dartmouth is interesting. Way down the field against OOSG last time they met but taking him on again over this longer trip. Jockey booking is complicated though. Crowley takes the ride for the first time. Dartmouth has been ridden by several other top jockeys so not sure what's going on there. One that sprung into the reckoning recently was Desert Skyline but I doubt he could beat OOSG or Stradivarius. I'm not sure if the latter will appreciate the ground if it comes up soft so could only fancy this 3yo to beat OOSG if the ground doesn't have soft in the description.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a cracking meeting. Definitely the best card I've seen for a while. Hope the weather doesn't take its toll

15. Sir Barney Chuckles

Across the county line, from Royal Berkshire, it has been raining of biblical proportions this morn. Cor blimey its best described as a Deluge with a capital ‘D’. And a lot more is expected throughout the day.

My mole at the Met (Office not –roplotian Police) advises that tomorrow should be largely dry but Saturday is likely to bring further precipitation and very, very strong winds.

16. Sir Barney Chuckles

Ulysses not amongst the 10 declared for the 'Champion Stakes'. Major surprise as no hint had been given prior to the final field being announced.

The 2 shorties in the market run in the first couple of heats (Order of St George and old boy Harry Angel). How they fare will, I'm sure, set the punting narrative of the day with thousands of punting punters sure to combine the pair in singles and a double.

17. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

For a horse who has left a few races behind him I wouldn't be interested at that sort of a price. I think the leger form could be worth siding with with Stradivarius.

18. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this

19. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

First trip to Champions Day Saturday, looking forward to a good card and day out.
    I'll take a nice early price on SB for last race on Saturday, can only see his price going one way.

woolcombe-folly007 and Ron like this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You do realise that's my fancy. You've been warned