1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Centre Back

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Romsey_Saint, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

We seem to be closing in on a deal for Jay-Rod. It's a princely sum; £7M. Yet, we are short at centre back with only two starters and now back-up now that Martin is at Palace for the season.

On paper, we need two centre backs to cover the two we have; who should we go for and how much transfer budget do you think we should we allocate to pay for them?

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Seaborne will be gone, so two new centre backs - one a season long loan

3. Big_Si

Big_Si Active Member

Not sure who we will get but I would imagine/hope they would be established in the Premier League so a price around 5 million maybe.
    I think one thing is for sure though and that is at least one is already lined up with terms agreed as they have sent Martin out on loan already.
    Who know's? Maybe we will unveil a double signing with J Rod and a centre back.

4. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

I think we'll spend around £2m on one and go for someone less proven, but someone we can see potential in, as a 4th choice. Dan Seaborne is over his injury now and could fight for his place again.

5. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I hope we go in for one decent CB - wouldn't have a problem with us spending £4 or £5 million - and also maybe a cheap, experienced option too. Maybe not Upson, because I suspect his wages will ultimately mean he'd be far from cheap, but just someone that we can have around the squad who can fill in a moment's notice.

6. I am the Hermanator

I am the Hermanator Active Member

I suppose you won't want Ricardo Rocha. But if you did take him on a free, he's ageing but is still an exceptional defender. Great positioning and anticipation. Very composed on the ball, eye for a pass and is suprisingly good in the air for a "short" CB.

7. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Whoever comes in must be comfortable on the ball and have decent pace because that perhaps is the attribute which would put them above Fonte or Hooiveld in the pecking order.
    That Danish centre back with the long blonde hair looked very decent yesterday, but imagine he is way out of our price range.

8. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

You'll be selling us Ben Haim next <laugh>

9. I am the Hermanator

I am the Hermanator Active Member

Rocha has left us and is out of contract. For a free transfer he's pretty darn good. But if you'd rather have Ben Haim you welcome to have him. I'll give you a tenner and drive him there as well. But you'll have to wait until he gains consciousness untie him.

10. Romsey_Saint

Am certain we must have our sights on someone - otherwise Martin would not have been let go on loan. Hopefully we have discovered the next Vidic! :shocked: I don't want us to buy some has-been previously relegated premiership central defender like Upson; I see that as a retrograde step.

I suppose the comments about Seabourne covering the left side have some logic to it; but I do not see him as a premiership player. Certainly hope we have the funds to get the right players...

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Shame he's an absolute prick, should of been sent off at St Marys this year.

12. MIsaints

MIsaints Active Member

I think we need one starting PL quality CB and one back up quality CB. Norwich released Whitbread at the end of the season. He might be a reasonable choice for the back up spot. Hurt a lot but maybe our physio and NA can get him playing again.

13. Le God

Le God Member

Worried about our full backs. They were ripped to shreds on several occasions last season especially by 433. I think we need better quality there as well as a CB or too . I'm very surprised we didn't keep Martin in squad to cover CB's. Along with the obvious that we desperately need to RM with pace.

I know fox is a great set-piece taker and Richardson has provided lots of assists too but I can't see us getting away with the full backs getting forward so much next season.

14. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Scott Dann has been heavily linked. I don't expect Seaborne to cut it at this level so maybe someone else would be needed too.

At full-back we've had bids turned down for Trippier and are being linked to Clyne now, so I'm sure we'll get reinforcements in there too.

15. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Simon Kjær, he did look good. Has been on loan at Roma from Wolfsburg this season and not really done that well by all accounts, so could be available. Probably wouldn't be cheap though, and it would be a bit of a coup for us; I'm sure bigger clubs will be interested especially if he has a good tournament at the euros.

16. RomseySaint

RomseySaint Member

I think we'll spend big on one and get a free for the 2nd cover. So would think either someone like Curtis Davies / Scott Dann as the expensive one and Zak Whitbread / Matt Upson as a free / cheaper cover option to give us our 4 CB's. For RB I'd like to see us get someone, but I think with the priorioties of RM (Ince / Jarvis), CM (Davies, Trotter) & CF (Rodriguez) they may have blown the budget, and Atkins may consider having Richardson, Butterfield & Cork if necessary as cover enough!

17. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

We need to spend big and get a quality CB in.

18. Romsey_Saint

I tend to agree with this sentiment; in the sense that we need at least one 'quality central defender' because our two current CD's are unproven at PL level. I admit to being 'old fashioned' in that I think you build at team from the from the goalkeeper and the back four - developing the first team through the 'spine' of the team; central midfield and striker.

That said, I have no idea of whom the quality central defender should be - hence my thread because I am interested to canvas opinion. Thanks for the responses provided.<ok>

19. chapppers

chapppers New Member

Scott Dann would fit perfectly young (ish) english player. Seems to be what we are buying.

Looked good at Birmingham, and did not look awful at Blackburn even though he was injured a lot and playing in a **** team. Also can not imagine him being on massive wages so fits in well, hopefully around £4m should get him.

Don't know if Caulker from Spurs is available on loan again? would be a great signing would push the first team and has a bit of pace to him, more than fonte and jos. Might not go back to Swansea as new manager, and may want to buy a cb instead?

20. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I agree about the full backs. Whenever we came across a team with real pace on the wings we struggled, and unfortunately EVERY team in the Premiership has quick wingers, so I think we need to strengthen in those positions aswell as CB, probably more so than RM.