1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

CCFC - The Season Thread

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by ninian opinion, Nov 2, 2020.

1. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Actual age 57, mental age 18, body often feels like its about 70.:emoticon-0101-sadsm
    Never have an issue playing the long game.

I get the desire for instant success, but we've seen the downfalls of that.
    Also, Tan has been around a while, so why not a while longer?
    Probably a better approach for his pocket.

2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Fair play this is an impressive hipster beard - <applause>

upload_2021-3-13_8-56-20.jpeg

3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Got his head on upside down.

Or is he Amish?

The wind resistance must slow him down.

irishbluebird likes this.
  4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Taking over from Billy Gibbons?

ninian opinion likes this.
  5. ninian opinion

Strange fact that the drummer of that band is called Frank Beard yet doesn’t have the trademark beard:emoticon-0138-think

6. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

Ha! Ha! I thought I was the only one who turned that photo upside down Bluey. <laugh>

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  7. ninian opinion

One part of the team that desperately needs change next season if we’re to have any chance is central midfield.
    We say it on here every pre season. We cannot go into next season with the likes of Ralls, Vaulks, Pack and Bacuna.
    Today was another prime example - Huddersfield and Boro away were others - of them doing very little offensively.
    If we’re going to play 3 at the back the 2 central midfielders have got to be a lot better.

8. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

Never, I have been saying that for two years.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

OK, here goes. Bold prediction - and I haven't had a drink (yet)......<laugh> City will scrape into top 6............Reasons?

1. Reading have some very difficult games in the run in and will drop more points than us - having said that, they need to drop at least 7 more than us. We can take 3 of those off them up there next month.

2. Bournemouth have Woodgate for a manager. Decent side but don't rate him at all and they'll leak points through him being there.

3. Boro are just not good enough - a bit like us really but lack any momentum. Whilst they may have Warnock as a manager, got a feeling the extra year on his contract is because they expect to be in the Championship next season. Mick has definitely got 2 years on his for the same reason, but I reckon he's going to surprise a lot of people at the club and fans alike.

As for the rest just behind - forget them. Barnsley will make top 6 and I reckon we can join them. Watford or Brentford for the other auto spot behind Norwich, and depending where they finish, we will either be playing the Jacks for a shot at Wembley, or at Wembley through the separate semis.

If we lose against Stoke tomorrow, I might revise this.........<laugh>

10. ninian opinion

2 more years of this type of up and under, hit and hope, lump it up and just bypass the midfield. I despair.
    MM should have been a short term appointment to steady the ship, keep us safe and then say goodbye with a pat on the back.
    Problem is we have nobody in the club who has an idea of how to progress the footballing side by appointing a manager who will adopt the current quick passing and movement style.
    Again I despair and am approaching the rest of the season with limited expectations.

Blue Sheep likes this.

11. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

C'mon Nin, it's not that hopeless.

When you look at some of the wins we've achieved under Big Mick there have actually been some very good performances.

High pressing.
    Some good incisive passing and overlapping wing backs.
    Excellent finishing.

We're going through a flatter patch right now but overall I've been pretty encouraged by some of what I've seen.

Given a window or two I reckon Big Mick will have us playing a bit better and a bit more consistently in terms of style.

clingo and BluefromBridgend like this.
  12. ninian opinion

Frustration got the better of me having sat through that last night and the terrible games at Hudders and Boro watching our season just limply slipping away.
    Certainly though he’s got to get something better in CM and better cover for Moore.

BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  13. ccfcremotesupport

Been unlucky with injuries at LB, need another RB.
    Ok at CB with Brown coming through.
    Going to lose Ojo and Wilson. We've got Williams and Bacuna then Murphy and Harris. Think Tomlins boat may have sailed.
    A change in the midfield and cover for moore and we wont be far off.
    Probably 2 or 3 new signings and another 2 or 3 changes.
    A few bob on the midfield is probably where the money needs to be spent.

Or will we see a raft of changes as MM doesnt really want to play 3412 but its the best he can do with what he's got?

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Well with all the crap, after last night's results, at least we're a point closer to Reading than we were at the start of the week. They've got QPR up next. Very simiiar sides the way they play (same kit too) and that one could go either way - after that they're away to Barnsley.

Bournemouth not playing this weekend (Cup game) so will have an extra game to play later - and they've got Warnock's Boro next - somebody's going to drop points.

Dissappointing performance Tuesday against Stoke from the players (and manager IMO) - but still all to play for.

BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  15. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Hope both Murphy & Wilson have rested well. Ojo & Bacuna were way off the pace.

Don't saying this but we need to be at our best to compete with Swansea.

More than a few of our team will be playing for their place, if we don't get to the play offs I can see a big clear out in the summer.

16. ninian opinion

OS you’re not seriously thinking we’ve a chance have you of reaching the play offs:emoticon-0125-mmm:

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Pretty simple really Nin. If we win our games, yes - if we don't then we won't deserve to.

Unless Barnsley have a spectacular blow up, then they will take 5th spot (or better). We have as much chance as Reading and Bournemouth to take that 6th spot, and IMO better than Boro - the rest will be nowhere near.

It's all about winning our own games - that's what Mick has got to go for after these recent ****ty draws.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  18. ccfcremotesupport

After getting goals from all over, WE havnt scored for 2 games. Just an OG to show for our efforts.

19. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

This coincides with the injuries to Bennett and Bagan and Ng missing a game and then switching to left back.

No criticism aimed at Sang (who I think has done very well and could be a real asset in the future), Ng (on the wrong side) or Brown but we have missed the attacking threats of Bennett/Bagan on the left and Ng at right back.

If they didn't get beyond the opposing full backs they created space for Murphy, Ojo or Wilson to do so. I have said before that Moore needs the ball put to him when facing goal not with his back to it.

This happened at least once if not twice on Tuesday ( not sure if Williams was on for the first one) when Moore was put through only to not finish - too bloody knackered.

With Bennett out long term and Bagan likely to be for a few weeks, I can''t see many short term solutions unless an opposing side fails to deal with long throws and other set pieces.

The other option is for Williams to start or at least get more game time. He seems to be able to find the sorts of spaces Tomlin used to and the ability to play people in. However is he fully match fit and can he take the rough and tumble of Championship football?

If he starts, then who drops out or do we accept our full backs won't push on, play a back 4 and add an extra man in midfield? Perhaps go back to 4 4 1 1 or 4 3 2 1?

MM changing tactics could throw a spanner in the works for the Jacks like Harris did when he went 4 4 2. We certainly need to do something to make Roberts and Manning focus more on defending than getting forward where they can cause a lot of damage.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  20. ninian opinion

He was one of the few who can pass accurately. Ng, Bagan and Sang (unsure about Brown) are really decent prospects.

Now if only MM can find some ball playing CMs and wide players with pace and more options up front.

If he does then we stand a decent chance in this league next season.