1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cardiff v QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Aug 25, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

R's head to the Welsh capital

IT'S back to league action this weekend as the R’s take on table topping Cardiff City in the Welsh capital city.

Both sides suffered disappointing results in the Carabao Cup with Burton Albion surprisingly beating Cardiff 2-1 and the R’s going out to Brentford.

But Ian Holloway and Neil Warnock will be happy with the way they have started the league campaign which is unquestionably the priority for both clubs this season.

Having finished mid-table last season, Cardiff have exploded out of the blocks this term winning four out of four league games including a thumping 3-0 victory against the much fancied Aston Villa.

Ex-Rangers manager Neil Warnock has done a fine job since taking over the managerial reigns at the Welsh club. He was appointed last October when they were in the relegation zone but went on to guide them to a comfortable 12th placed finish and has personally stated that his ambition is to get the club back into the Premier League.

It is of course not that long ago since the Bluebirds were playing in the top tier of English football. They were promoted in 2013 after convincingly winning the Championship but followed that with a disappointing league campaign in which they won just seven matches and finished bottom of the table.

They have since shown some consistency in the Championship finishing 11th, 8th and 12th but will feel they have the squad to push for promotion this season.

That belief would have been boosted by the fact that Cardiff have had a very productive transfer market. They have brought in total eight players, including Danny Ward who scored 12 goals for relegated Rotherham last year and Lee Tomlin who has proved his class multiple times in this division.

Rangers should be heading into this game feeling confident as Cardiff were one of two teams that the R’s did the double over last season. Not only that, but with seven points on the board it has been a positive start to the campaign from Ollie’s side who will want to carry this momentum on going into the international break.

When and Where
    Saturday 26th August, Cardiff City Stadium, 3:00pm BST.

Last Time Out
    QPR 2-1 Cardiff City 4th March 2017

One of the most memorable games of last season as QPR came from behind to beat Cardiff in what was a celebration of 50 years since we won the League Cup. Sol Bamba gave Cardiff the lead against the run of play but Rangers levelled when Yeni Ngbakoto smashed the ball in after a fine team move and fine pass from Jamie Mackie. Matt Smith headed the winner from Ngbakoto's corner with seven minutes to play to secure the victory.

Team News
    Joel Lynch is doubtful with a hamstring injury, while it is hoped Josh Scowen (ankle) will be fit and Kazenga LuaLua is also expected to be available after missing Tuesday night’s game on compassionate leave. James Perch (knee) is out, along with Jordan Cousins (hamstring) and Grant Hall (tendonitis).

Cardiff have no fresh injury concerns ahead of QPR's visit. Boss Neil Warnock made 10 changes for this sides midweek defeat at Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup but is expected to reinstate the likes of Sean Morrison, Aron Gunnarsson, Kenneth Zohore and five-goal Nathaniel Mendez-Laing against the R's. Summer signing Callum Paterson has joined training for the first time since knee surgery but is still several weeks away from action.

Stats

• Rangers have lost just one of our last ten matches against Cardiff City
    • Queens Park Rangers have never lost at the Cardiff City Stadium (P4,W2, L2)
    • Cardiff have lost just one out of their last nine league games at home
    Manager Viewpoint's
    Ian Holloway: “Neil has got Cardiff going and it’s going to be a totally different type of game. They put you under massive pressure and almost play a 2-4-4 formation with the new strike-force he has put together. They beat Wolves away and they have been outstanding so far, in their performances, not just their results. We have to go there and compete with what they are going to do.”

Neil Warnock: "It was a fabulous year (at QPR) I’ll never forget, one of the best in my life. Similar circumstances, they were struggling and then we had a great season, I still get plenty of messages from the QPR fans. It takes some beating. We were high up most of the season, had a good group and we had a nice blend. I think it’s the best team spirit since QPR, I don’t think you can compare the team but we have the same type of characters with good pros. And we didn’t spend much money."

Referee
    Simon Hooper: Handed out nine yellow cards and one red in four games this season.

Bev From Earls Court Heads Off To Cardiff

WBA2_QPR3, Didley Squat, UTRs and 5 others like this.
  2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I must admit I prefer Ted's pre-match thread of doom.

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I require us to win, at at least not lose, this game.

4. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Nines, nice report as always, plus you always tease with the photo, and I don't mean the stadium. :)

I think you are very close to the team selection and formation, although I don't want to start the formation polemics. Unless Mackie is injured, I would not be surprised if he starts the match up front with Washington to pester the defense, and then we systematically bring on the big forwards later in the second half.

I regret that I will miss my first match on the QPR+ as I will be in Gdansk for the day. I wish those going to the match, watching the stream, listening to the commentary or just posting messages, a very enjoyable game. COYR's!!!

QPR999 likes this.
  5. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

Still waiting for my reply from Colin...

Eamon Holmes, Uber_Hoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  6. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Great thread as always 9s. I think Mackie will start ahead of Smith, but otherwise a like the lineup.

QPR999 likes this.
  7. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

As seen in Tiger Bay

8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I'm away this weekend, so hopefully I won't be aware of the impending carnage.

I think we'll do very well to keep them under 3 goals.

9. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Ditto!

Put on a hard hat and stay away from the message boards when the fall out commences.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Please no. I couldn't stand it.

11. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I suggest you don your Manchester City badge and pray. :)

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to following us in the Champions League.

I don't like Cardiff much, but I can't stand Warnock. I know he did a great job for us, and thanks for that, but he strikes me as a horrible personality. I've never liked him, but the experience of sitting near the benches at the Emirates and hearing the constant stream of abuse he hurled at the linesman, ref and fourth official really confirmed my feelings. He does a great job with poor to average Championship teams, and always gets found out at the next level up. Which tells us everything we need to know about the championship.

Obviously he is a better Championship manager than Holloway.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  13. Uber_Hoop

Me too, perhaps he forgot his login? :)

seagullhoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  14. Uber_Hoop

He may be a ****, but for a time he was our **** (sigh....). :)

15. Uber_Hoop

Cheers, Ninesy.

Bev or Beth? :)

QPR999 likes this.
  16. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

I'm sure we're the underdogs but upsets can and will happen. Occasionally those upsets will be in our favour. Occasionally!

17. Uber_Hoop

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that we'll be up for this and pull off a surprise.

Mind you, I also think John Barrowman has an eye for the ladies.

18. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

It must be hard to not stand Warlock given he gave us one of our most memorable seasons. I don't like Redknapp much but I can't compare him to Warlock in terms of what he achieved for the relative budgets.

Shawswood likes this.
  19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I can live with it. Managers are temporary, after all. ****ing hated Dedcrapp too.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  20. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Thanks 999s........think this is one match too much for us.
    I do not know how Colin does this.....but he does.
    With Stan on this...not really liking Colin....but don't like Arry either..

Beginning not to like anyone....going to take a tablet and go to bed..