1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cardiff City v Stoke City, Fug Me, Not Seen Stoke Since Garth Crookes Played For Them!

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

My old pal Alan Hudson has been on the Masky hot line...getting on my titties TBH! Line is always busy, people ringing me asking intimate questions....fug off I say! Now Alan who has Stoke running through his blood, is concerned about Gary Madine...Goal Machine. He is well aware of his slow start, equally aware that he is a ticking bomb about to explode into a proliferation of goals...could be Stoke. I have made him aware that he will play for 69 minutes and then get “pulled off”...which I think is his problem TBH. A visit from the Winky Wannky bird, does nobody no good, no how! Happened to Masky a number of times in Pontcanna Fields! Neil will want to do better against this improving side, and we look forward to a five goal haul against this lot! :emoticon-0103-cool:

clingo likes this.
  2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Should be a few changes from Saturday.

Will Flint and Hoilett be dropped? Will Morrison, Tomlin, Vaulks and/or Murphy start? Will Madine start? Are Ralls, Whyte and Glatzel fit?

Stoke seem to have found a bit of form. What sort of reception will Allen get<whistle>

3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If the Madine/Paterson combo was an experiment by Harris, it should be filed under the "failed" category.

Of the two, I thought Madine was the better on the day, but that's like being asked which you prefer - being stoned to death or strangled.

We're at home and there'll be an expectation level that Harris needs to match with his team selection. Got to go for it and start Tomlin with Murphy out wide.

At the back it's all up in the air (literally <laugh>) - I expect Flint to be dropped, but who'll replace him will depend upon who's fit.

Midfield is up for grabs, Pack will defo start and Ralls if fit. Then depends what sort of mixture Harris is looking for.

Up front, and if Tomlin starts in that No.10 role, Glatzel should get the nod - again assuming he's fit.

4. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

If all fit. ( i dont include Bamba as i cant see that he is ready)

Id go Etheridge Peltier Morrison Nelson Bennett Hoillet Ralls Pack Murphy Tomlin Madine.

I would be tempted to try NML as the striker though.

5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well Bamba won't feature tomorrow - he's playing for the under 23's against Charlton this afternoon, as is Danny Ward getting some game time in.

6. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Agreed other than NML instead of the tub of lard upfront. Although Bogle would have a shout too.

WoL talks about giving Coxe a chance at RB as he is much better going forward. Perhaps not the right game but his chance should come soon.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  7. ninian opinion

Peltier is a relatively dependable defensive full back but adds nothing going forward; give Coxe a chance now - why wait?

(BTW if Connor Roberts can’t get into the jerks team then City should buy him)

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  8. BluefromBridgend

Good last point Ninian. That would make an interesting game in January. The lad does really well for Wales.

9. BluefromBridgend

Looks like Ralls wont be available for a couple of weeks according to Harris at the U23 game.

Glatzel may be available tomorrow.

10. ninian opinion

I read Paterson has a knock which makes an easy decision to drop him even easier.:emoticon-0138-think

11. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Lowly Cardiff City need to dig one out here tonight.....Shiite or get off the potty...yeah! :emoticon-0103-cool:

Cardiff manager Neil Harris hopes Callum Paterson will be fit to face Stoke City in his first home game in charge of the Bluebirds.

Paterson suffered a knock in the 2-2 draw at Charlton on Saturday, but Robert Glatzel could be available, although Gavin Whyte, Isaac Vassell and Matt Connolly are absent.

Stoke hope to have midfielder Sam Clucas back following a foot injury.

James McClean serves a one-game ban but Joe Allen should play after a cut head. Garth Crookes needs to shed a bit, to get a late selection box!

Match facts
    • Cardiff City are winless in eight matches against Stoke City in all competitions (W0 D4 L4) since a 3-0 win in February 2006.
    • This is the first league meeting between Cardiff and Stoke since April 2014, a 1-1 draw in the Premier League.
    • Cardiff have not lost consecutive home Championship matches since December 2017, losing 1-0 in their last game at the Cardiff City Stadium against Bristol City.
    • Stoke are looking to win three consecutive league games for the first time since October 2016.
    • Cardiff City have benefitted from more goals from substitutes in the Championship this season than any other side (nine).
    • Stoke's Mame Biram Diouf is looking to score in consecutive league appearances for the Potters for the first time since October 2017, when he scored in three consecutively.

12. ninian opinion

Mixed messages. Reported previously that Paterson and Glatzel were unfit.

Here’s hoping the ginger ex jerk’s foot is still playing up.<whistle>

13. BluefromBridgend

The lump of lard starts again. Doh!!!

14. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Madine will score soon...very very soon! :emoticon-0103-cool:

15. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Its all relative.
    We will get brexit done soon.......

16. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Hmm, back to percentage possession in the 30s.....

17. ninian opinion

You wouldn’t have known there had been a change of manager. Same old same old. The holding onto a narrow lead started from the whistle being blown to start the 2nd half; City were deeper than the Indian Ocean.

Dull as dishwater.

The only surprise was Sam Vokes not scoring v City.

Oh and that ref - what a shocking performance.

18. Atreyu1989

Atreyu1989 New Member

Awful viewing but 3pts is 3pts and that’s not to be sniffed at.
    Further away from relegation at least!

19. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

It seems I made the right decision not to get up at 02:30

20. BluefromBridgend

Terrible game.

After the first 20 minutes it was backs to the wall stuff from us which, ironically, suits the likes of Flint, Nelson and Peltier who all performed well defensively second half restricting Stoke to only 1 shot on target.

However, apart from the efforts of Tomlin when he occasionally got the ball, we were shocking going forward. Pack plays like a third centre back and gets caught in possession too often. I thought Bacuna did okay and took his goal well but as for the rest........

Taking into account the players they have, Stoke were even worse. Apart from Ince they had nothing going forwards. Joe Allen is a good player but thrives in the company of better colleagues. He didnt have any last night.

As far as we are concerned Harris can only work with what he has. Ralls, Ward and Glatzel and maybe Bamba will return to the squad soon to give more options but will they improve the team and football quality that much?

Clearly we need new blood and January will be very interesting in terms of who goes, what cash Tan will release and who comes in. And can we improve the quality of our football? Actually keeping the ball a bit longer would help.

Finally, and I have to mention him, Madine. Actually did okay first half in setting up Bacuna and forcing a good save himself but for such a big guy he, yes another one, is not that good in the air. I noticed he rarely jumps with a view to heading the ball and more often looks to impede the centre back. Not a good trait. Now 23 games and no goals......