1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cardiff City v Manchester City, Fug Me Does This Beat Barnsley Eh?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Sep 20, 2018.

1. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

Well.....horrible half and very lucky not to be down to 10 men. My 0-4 prediction may be optimistic!!

2. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought Ralls was going for a walk. Hoillet having a nightmare of a game. Some woeful defending.

3. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

4. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

We expected a spanking and we got one. Was it a self fulfilling prophecy? Some horrible mistakes and perhaps, just perhaps the gulf in ability was the main factor.

5. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

A big round of applause to all on here who predicted a Cardiff City win in the BPPL today, put money where their mouth was.....down the pan! As I.’ve always said “poop or get off the potty!” :emoticon-0103-cool:

6. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Spineless performance by City today. No intent. Man City must have expected City to have at least put up a bit of a fight but that was just unacceptable. Yes Man City are way better but our manager surely would have told the players to give a damn in front of 30000 of their fans.

Hoilett incidentally was so bad today it was laughable

7. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Our lack of the Premier League quality striker was glaring today. Zero attacking outlet allowed Man City to constantly recycle the ball and under constant pressure its only a matter of time before the defense breaks. Zohore was useless when he came on. Thought Manga had a decent game (with the exception of the last City goal where he had done the hard part) and Cunningham looked alright.

Burnley putting 4 past Bournemouth is worrying for next week. <yikes> Must be quite boring been a Man City fan - thought their fans were lukewarm.

8. BrizzleBluebird

Going back to the original title of the thread.... to be honest, think I'd rather still be playing the likes of Barnsley!

9. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hate to say it but glad I wasn't there - the best thing about this afternoon were the Peronis which softened the blow.

BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  10. ninian opinion

Warnock’s interview IMO embarrassing; he should sound disappointed and a bit angry rather than say the opposition were good and his players “did alright.”

I’m not sure he’s really the right manager for us in this league; brilliant in the championship but again being found wanting in the PL.

Let’s see how we get on next week.

Didn’t help Burnley winning so convincingly today.

11. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

we were never gonna get anything from this fixture>>>pity we shipped so many against one of the best teams but it is what it is............burnley next and that's winnable, so lets see what we offer on the day hey.

12. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

We have said all along that if we get anything at all from games against the top 6 it is a bonus. Next Sunday is a game that really counts.

For me, while being deflated by the loss, it was great watching a brilliant footballing side. And I don't mean us. We are clearly short of the ability and quality to compete with the best teams but must learn from playing against them.

It is what we get from playing the likes of Burnley, Fulham, Southampton etc that will count in the long run.

What could Warnock or anyone else have done differently today with the players available?

13. BrizzleBluebird

Nin, I'm sure what Warnock says in public and what Warnock says in private to the players are VERY different.

We do however need to keep some context
    ALL of our last 3 opponents have had individual players that cost more than our starting 11s.
    I know it's ultimately 11 v 11 professionals but in terms of gulfs in quality and ability, there really is no comparison .
    It's like me pitting my wits against someone like a PGA pro on the golf course when all is am is a half decent pitch and putt player!

suprimir likes this.
  14. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Must say I tend to agree with Nin.

I'm getting a bit pissed off with Warnock saying how good we've played when we've clearly been stuffed. This is not a division for back patting and there appears to be an element of que sera sera about all this.

If we didn't know it before, we need to accept the failure to strengthen particularly at right back and up front is going to cost us big time. As well as that, Arter was played out of position today on the left when his strengths are clearly through the centre of midfield, Ralls is struggling with the quality up here whilst Hoilett is at best a passenger - and thats a compliment for his poor performances.

What does it take to get Zohore fired up? He's woefully short of confidence and coming off the bench is a waste of time. The sooner we can get Murphy back in the starting lineup to play off he hard working Reid the better. Reid lacks ultimate class but at least he's a trier.

Not getting phased by losing consecutive games against Chelsea and Man City nor bashing Warnock - it's the manner that Warnock appears to be accepting the inevitability. He needs to to step up as much as the players to the challenge, get stuck into the realities and revert to type - stop being Mr. Nice Guy in front of the cameras Neil.

15. ninian opinion

I’ve never been so bored watching a game like today before. It wasn’t a contest. If it was a boxing bout the ref would have stopped it at half time.

Man City weren’t “brilliant”. They did the basics excellently. Passing & movement at pace and with skill. They lose the ball, they get it back and don’t stop until it’s in the opposition net. They pass to eachother. They have awareness. City just allowed them to play to their abilities. When City had the ball they just hoofed it or passed it to a Man City player. It was as if they had 13 players. 2 on the overlap constantly. Some of ours were passengers. (I’ve mentioned Hoilett already)

Where was the fight? Where was the contest? Where was the intent? Man City aren’t invincible, no team is but City gave the impression they were and gave up.

We were so ecstatic at promotion but this is turning pear shaped. The writing was on the wall with our terrible pre season signings & (too) friendly opposition. Who’s fault is that? Tan or Warnock?

It isn’t too late but taking the top @8 teams to play twice, and 6 games in, this is really now a 16 game season to get another 35-36 points. That is going to take some doing. Other teams in the past have got out of the cack but can this team with its obvious lack of quality and deficiencies do so?

Call me a pessimist but having got into this division again it would be almost criminal to mess it up again.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  16. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

There were goals scored against us today, the likes of which our players have never seen before....certainly at lower league! Pure class goal 3 today and Chelsea’s 4th last week. Our Championship quality players cannot cope with class! Move on I say! :emoticon-0103-cool:

<party>MC were so good! <party>Suppose we could buy a team of that quality if money was spent!

suprimir and BluefromBridgend like this.
  17. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

Too much angst over this loss. We were very bad. Yep. It happens. Warnock didn't go off in public. No point in doing so. I am sure words were spoken in private.

As we have said before. Lets see after a dozen games how things are going points wise.

If we don't do something against Burnley, I will start to lose some faith, however!

18. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

There is every chance we will lose against Burnley too, dare I say. They have been removed from Europe, without Teresa May’s assistance and destroyed Bournemouth...who destroyed us! :emoticon-0103-cool:

19. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

Well Masky, thankfully football doesn't work like that. Hopefully the tactical setup, player pride, and the importance of the situation means we register win number 1 :)

whiffletree likes this.
  20. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

What a bunch of moaning Minnie's & negative Ninnie's we are. So we've lost three games in a row (to Arsenal, Chelsea & Man City). Who honestly expected any other outcome? It's been said again and again that our season will be defined against teams who are nearer to our level...so what's changed? So we were outclassed against Man. City...and we're surprised? Not sure what everyone expected? To me we've shown a lot of guts and a bit of skill so far (Man City excepted, where we were played off the park), and I'm still convinced we will remain competitive ( as we have been in four of our six games thus far). Come on fellas, where's the ''lets enjoy it whilst we're here" attitude which existed until a few games ago. By the way, the crowd and atmosphere was superb yesterday and we didn't stop singing till the end. Despite the performance and result I had a thoroughly good day. It was a pleasure to see such a classy team at our stadium. Can't wait for Burnley next week.