1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cardiff City v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Nov 2, 2019.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Bentley eyes City response
    Friday, November 1st 2019

Dan Bentley says City can use time to their advantage as they prepare to face Cardiff City in the Severnside derby a week on Sunday.

Bentley was voted the Sky Sports Man of the Match for his display in City’s 2-2 draw away to Barnsley on Friday night, which saw the Tykes battle back from 2-0 down.

The pick of Bentley’s saves included tipping away a curling strike from Mallik Wilks before he turned Conor Chaplin’s effort on to the post. City rallied though through Ashley Williams and Andreas Weimann who both scored headers before Aapo Halme nodded in to cut the deficit in half. And Cauley Woodrow pounced deep into stoppage time to rescue the point.

But with a little over a week before City’s trip to South Wales, Bentley says it will be an opportunity for extended recovery, assessment and focus as City look to bounce back.

The shotstopper said: “There will be a time of recovery. First and foremost we have to recover from tonight, make sure we are good to go next weekend but in terms of the comedown from the game, we will go through the videos in depth on what happened and what we think we can do better.

“There will be a fair amount from everybody. It’s a longer period of time until the next game so we have a bit more time to work on a few bits, a bit more time to rest up and we go to Cardiff to get the three points and nothing else.”

If there was one word to sum up Friday’s trip to Oakwell though it was “disappointment” and for Bentley it was the manner in which the points were shared.

“It feels like a loss to be honest,” he said. “We were in control for most of the game in terms of our play in possession. We weren’t at it as much as we can be but that’s when we need to be resilient.

“We can’t be conceding a two-goal lead, to come away from here with a draw from that winning position is frustrating. We’re all bitterly disappointed. We’ve spent a long time speaking about it, we’ll set out where if we are in that position that it doesn’t happen again.

He continued: “I think we’ve all spoken and everyone is taking responsibility, whether players played well or not. The main thing was the result, I’m there to do a job and whenever I can help the team, I thrive in doing so. I love doing that but in terms of the result and how we are feeling, it doesn’t mask how disappointed we all are and how angry the reaction was in there (the dressing room).

“We know it’s not good enough to throw a two-goal lead, especially away from home we have to manage the game better and that’s everybody to a man. Whether its communication, playing in the right areas, being professional where you play the ball or press and keep them out of your half. We are just really disappointed.”
    https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/bentley-eyes-city-response/

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

England call up for you class keeper.

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Top clubs may be licking their proverbial lips at his performance against Barnsley because 2 of his saves were top drawer. I will stick my neck out and say he is the best I have seen in quite a while and we should all be thrilled that he is plying his trade at Ashton Gate. Enough said!

bcfcredandwhite and Red Robin like this.
  4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Flint, Pack and Tomlin,all ex Bristol City will probaly feature in this game, it will be an interesting contest.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Competition Played Bristol City Draw Cardiff City
    League ........... 82........ 33................... 19 ........30
    FA Cup .............7......... 2 ..................... 2 ......... 3
    League Cup ......3......... 2..................... 0........... 1
    Totals .......... 92..... 37 ................21 ......34

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

7. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

They are the first top end side we have played since Charlton and are a far better squad than Charlton
    Reality check this weekend they will be far to strong for us.

They have goals in their team where we don’t.
    Fammy last game suspended, Wieman the only potential for goals up top.

Taylor and Mo scoring goals in league one.

8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

It's in the stars that Flint will score, however football in the Championship is mad.
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a decent result.

9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

10. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Sounds to me that you are covering yourself nicely for a rant after RP......as if you would!! <laugh>

11. Redprintt

Come on 1For.
    That's what you do every time City get a point with your 'another point to stay in the Championship' deflecting heat on LJ after another dire performance.
    Kettle Black.......

Results say, in the Prem in the main are fairly predictable but I think results in the Championship consistently are anything but predictable.
    That's why I genuinely think anything could happen next Sunday.

As for a 'rant' after the result next Sunday, I will say what I see.
    It may well be a little early but I wonder if City are starting to stagnate, might be wrong, but not even you won't argue that LJ hasn't had unbelievable backing.
    I will continue to put my view across on this platform.
    As you will <cheers>

12. oneforthebristolcity

I've got no problem RP, with you putting your point across mate, as far as LJ is concerned it will always differ from mine, as you dislike the guy and I support his attitude and effort to the club as an up and coming young manager..:emoticon-0105-wink:
    As you say, this championship is very unpredictable, which to me makes it more interesting and more of a test.
    I know we all want to get into the prem as it's the ultimate goal, but life won't be easy there as Norwich are showing after more or less running away with the championship last season.
    It's all about competing at a good standard. Yes, every club has to deal with injuries etc and trying to put together a decent run.....not many clubs have managed to achieve that as yet, hence why we are still in a very good position......most clubs in this division has had decent backing, so I'm not buying that...
    We have a young team, a young manager and at last a club that seems fairly settled, competing in one of the best leagues in the world.......like I said...does it for me!! <cheers>

13. Redprintt

Sparkey - don't tell anyone else on here, just between me and you.

We have some this side of the bridge bemoaning our 'injury crisis'.
    I think it's a pathetic argument as all clubs have injuries or suspensions.
    Happen to think that our beloved LJ has had so much financial backing and so many to choose from we should just get on with it.
    Is it true, but don't tell our lot, that you have 2 of your best players not playing this w/e ?

Oh sorry, no need to answer I've just read Wiz's post above.

14. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

He has just got on with it, and we are still 6th!! What is your point Redprintt?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  15. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All teams get injuries - that's why clubs have squads. It's a non stop roundabout of injury/recovery/fitness/ and eventually match fitness.

I don't think either we or you have got a monopoly on this issue, but it's true to say that with Bamba (all season) and now Morrison being out at the back, and Glatzel (hamstring) and Ward (Red card mist) both out up front for your game, we have our problems.

Hamstrings seem to have been a problem for us this season for some reason. Etheridge, Hoilett, Mendez Laing and Pack have all missed games through them and we've suffered, though now thankfully they're all back.

In the middle of the park we never seemed to be over-blessed with options this season, though your old friend Tomlin could make it after his hip problem this past couple of weeks. Joe Ralls is at the top of his game holding it together, though he was carrying some sort of injury throughout the second half of our win against Brum on Saturday - if he's missing next weekend, we have a real problem.

Our secret weapon here could be Paterson either up front or midfield. He hasn't been able to get much game time and he's champing at the bit.

Let's see how it goes - this is all about who else each side has in their squads to step up to the plate.

Redprintt likes this.
  16. Redprintt

Sparky, thanks for your considered reply. Your first paragraph says it all.
    Our lot, silly sausages, bemoan we are unique with injury and suspensions.

17. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

We made the point how well we’ve done despite our injuries, incase you haven’t noticed even if as you are suggesting Cardiff’s injuries have been as bad as ours , they are actually below us at present, so by definition they haven’t done as well as us .

plus of course they have parachute payments so have much more money at their disposal than we do, but don’t let the facts get in the way.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  18. oneforthebristolcity

Yeah, but now Redprintt will respond with "all the trillions LJ's had to spend" compared to all the other clubs.....:emoticon-0127-lipss Stoke & Middlesbrough, I'm sure they've spent more than us over the years, but they're not in the top 6.....wow has the world gone mad!!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  19. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

And of course Cardiff themselves who were in the PL last season so obviously have had more money at their disposal along with parachute payments this .

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  20. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I personally don’t claim we have a monopoly on injuries - all clubs have them as Sparky correctly says.
    I can’t comment on Cardiff’s injuries because I’m not familiar with their squad apart from our ex-players.
    We however, have had Kalas, DaSilva, Afobe, Smith, Nagy and now Brownhill, our captain, injured, with Diedhiou banned. ALL of those are first-team players - possibly with the exception of Smith who is in his second season in the treatment room. That’s half our first-choice squad. I hear what RP is saying, that all teams suffer injuries and we should have adequate cover, but I would suggest that no team in any league (possibly with the exception of Man C) have the depth and quality available to cover every position with players of equal quality.
    We’ve been playing with second-choice players who would normally be on the bench - and we’ve done well to still be top 6.