1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cardiff City Match Thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Belvedere to Charlton and back again!, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Belvedere to Charlton and back again!

View attachment 22932 vs cardiff.jpg

The penultimate away game of the season see's us travel to league leaders Cardiff City who are only in need of 1 point for promotion to the premier league. It was a good weekend for both sides as we thrashed Barnsley 6-0 and with 6 different goalscorers as Jackson, Pritchard, Kerkar, Kermorgant, Fuller and Harriott all got on the scoresheet. Cardiff were also impressive at the weekend as they beat playoff hopefuls Nottingham Forest at home 3-0. Gestede bagged himself a brace and Helguson got the other goal. It was a 9 goal thriller when we met Cardiff earlier in the season and a great win for us as we came from 2-0 down to win 5-4 and we were even leading 5-2 going into stoppage time which made it a nerve racking ending for all those at the game. It was a much needed win and the start of a seven game unbeaten run in the league.

Cardiff City Home Form W15 D4 L2 F36 A14 PTS49

Charlton Athletic Away Form W9 D6 L6 F31 A23 PTS33

Previous Meetings
    06.11.2012 Charlton Athletic 5-4 Cardiff City
    21.04.2009 Charlton Athletic 2-2 Cardiff City
    18.10.2008 Cardiff City 2-0 Charlton Athletic
    04.12.2007 Cardiff City 0-2 Charlton Athletic
    10.11.2007 Charlton Athletic 3-0 Cardiff City

Top Three Goalscorers-
    Charlton Athletic - Cardiff City
    11 Jackson - 9 Helguson
    10 Kermorgant - 8 Gunnarsson
    7 Haynes - 8 Whittingham

Team to play Cardiff City -

Hamer

Solly Morrison Dervite wiggins

Wilson Pritchard Jackson Harriot

Kermorgant Fuller

Subs
    Button
    Taylor
    Green
    Gower
    Evina
    Hughes
    Obika

If we win tomorrow then we really do have every chance of making the playoffs come the end of the season. I have written us off time and time again this season when playing away from home and then the boys have gone and delivered the goods snatching all 3 points on numerous occasions and I will not bet against them going to Cardiff and getting a win. That being said Cardiff are top of the league for a reason and that is largely down to their home form they seem irresistible at home at times this season and only Peterborough and Brighton have won their this season. If we look at form over the last 6 games Cardiff have taken 11 points out of a possible 18 whilst we have taken 13 points out of our last 6 games. I am feeling really optimistic about tomorrow and if we turn up play well and have that little bit of luck that is sometimes required in games like this then there is no reason why we cannot win.​

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I can't see Hughes being dropped - Fuller did an interview today where he mentions the fact our good turn in form has occured at the same time as he regaining fitness. I expect the same line up again, as long as no knocks have been picked up.

As for the game, there's no question it's the toughest fixture in the league, but I agree with you that with our recent form there is reason to be optimistic. You always hope with few games left that the league leaders get complacent, especially when you have the lead Cardiff do. We now seem to be playing without fear of going down, and with a very outside chance of the play offs. Cardiff will surely be wary of this. I think we will gain a spirited draw which will all but end our play off hopes, but still allow us to build on the recent run and end the season as high as possible.

1-1 Kermo

3. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i wouldnt be too opposed to starting a semi reserve team and focusing on the other 3 fixtures. depends on what SCP has been told by the directors though. if its to push for the play offs he'll stick - this is our best 11.

4. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Thanks, Belvedere

I see you are opting to give Hughes a rest. Could happen that way. And Stephens not even on the bench again? That would mean he is being wrapped in cotton wool until sold.

I cannot see us winning, but if we can keep it close, Cardiff might happily settle for a draw to ensure promotion. They would like to do that in front of their own fans.

I think some are getting carried away by the score against Barnsley. If you look at the stats, that performance was really worth a 2 - 0 win against a mediocre, though admittedly on-form, team. I am not knocking that, and would cheerfully settle for that level of performance every week, but the six-goal margin was a freak. Two keeper howlers and two cheap sendings-off don't often happen in the same game.

We are not rubbish, but we are not wonderful either. Same applies to every single team in this division. They are all much of a muchness, but Cardiff have managed to reduce the errors, especially at home.

5. Sat In Greenwich

stephens said on twitter he has a hamstring strain and hopes to be fit for tuesday

6. Bitter & Malicious

OK, thanks. I suppose it could even be true. I do have my suspicions about these injuries that only come to light after the player has been dropped though. Same thing happened with Hollands and BWP. They could be the reason the player was left out, or they could be a bit of face-saving by the player or his agent. If you are hoping for a transfer to a Premiership side it is not good to be seen to be dropped by an average Championship team.

7. Sat In Greenwich

i think in this case it was probably true. i bumped into him in a nandos about 3 weeks back and he said the same them as i "interviewed" him over a chicken burger lol

8. Bitter & Malicious

I am always against these "semi-reserve" teams. The senior players included feel insulted that they are not considered valuable enough to be "protected" and not inclined to exert themselves for a game the club is prepared to "throw". The others included may indeed try hard, but will lack teamwork in a "scratch" side.

A good example was the fighting League Cup win by an all-reserve team against a strong Reading side, then the abysmal performance against Preston when CP lost his nerve (or was perhaps instructed to do so by the board) and added five first-choicers, who all played poorly.

And if you look at our u21 results and performances, I think you will find that they have been better when we have played a more or less "pure" u21 team as against when it has been "strengthened" by seniors. Partly a question of teamwork and training together and partly because a senior trying to get back into the first team won't want to risk getting crocked in an u21 match.

And on this occasion the u21s have games on Wednesday and Monday to try and win their league. Pity to throw that away for a senior game we are prepared to concede.

But just for fun, what would an all-reserve team without u21s look like?

Button
    Wilson, Cort, Rouamba or Lennon (assuming Taylor unfit), Evina
    Green, Gower, Hollands, Kerkar
    Haynes (if fit), Wagstaff

9. Bitter & Malicious

Name dropper! Charlie Wright once improperly brushed against my wife as she bent over the frozen foods in Sainsburys.

10. Sat In Greenwich

me? never! - although 2 weeks ago i did meet david haye at heathrow. usually object to having photos taken with millwall fans, but on this occasion i said "ok mate, just for you" lol

11. Belvedere to Charlton and back again!

Just seen on twitter Cardiff have sold out the home ends! Guess they are getting ready to celebrate

12. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Cheers, Belv- another good thread. I can't think of a single change that The Doctor is likely to make for this one, unless someone is injured. I don't think Obika has helped his chances of getting a start by twice opting to shoot instead of passing to a better placed colleague. I assume Haynes is injured again.

13. IA

IA Active Member

From reading a Cardiff forum, I think they've won the match 4-1 already.

14. the red flag

the red flag Member

Now there's love-ley.

15. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Anyone going to this? Also does anyone know if tickets are available on the door? Fancy an impromptu journey to Cardiff (one of my favourite cities)

16. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

OS says it's ticket only with none available on the gate - beats me why not.

Cardiff is one of my favourite cities (and A2C's - lol!) and a very easy drive for me, but not a place I'd go and watch football.

17. Tewkesbury Addick

OS says it's ticket only with none available on the gate - beats me why not.

Cardiff is one of my favourite cities (and A2C's - lol!) and a very easy drive for me, but not a place I'd go and watch football.

18. Tewkesbury Addick

19. IA

IA Active Member

If the home ends have sold out, and they expect promotion, there could be Cardiff fans trying to get in the away end, some of whom will be drinking through the day.

If somehow they didn't secure promotion on the day and there were home fans in the away end, might not be fun for those Charlton fans there.

20. Bitter & Malicious

Also the BBC are suggesting "Salim Kerkar could make the starting line-up". If so, presumably to rest one of our "Harriotts". CP did say when they first came into the team he would be bringing them along carefully. Alternatively, it could be to save the Harriotts for the vital u21 match on Wednesday.

Winning the u21 could be valuable propaganda for attracting the best youngsters to the club this summer. Not sure it would have any bearing on our attaining Level One status? I guess that's just a question of money, staffing and facilities. We don't have another outstanding LM in the u21s so they would make a difference.

I have a bit more faith in Kerkar than most here. I think he will surprise the world one day. (Maybe surprise himself).