1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Captain

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by 23_Carra_Gold, May 5, 2012.

1. 23_Carra_Gold

23_Carra_Gold Member

I am of the opinion that one thing that should certainly happen this summer is Lucas Leiva should be appointed as our new captain. Gerrard is ageing and doesnt play as much or influence as much as he has in previous years.He also seems to lack the drive and passion he once previously had and i have seen some opinions that he has become lazy.
    Lucas on the other hand has established himself as our most important and in my opinon best player. He is our most consistent player and leads by a solid and calm example.
    On another note, well done to big Andy today, he put the rest to shame.

2. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Hum interesting.

Half the problem is he is having to cover for our ****e midfield. He doesn't have the legs.

We should have him playing with less responsibility behind the striker with Lucas and one other centre mid behind him.

Our lack of quality is hurting him.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I thought he was close to MOM he played well. I agree with B4F that it's the quality in front of him that matters.

4. 23_Carra_Gold

23_Carra_Gold Member

I think it would be a big statement that we are moving forward into a new era, especially if done by a new manager or even a returning a benitez. People will say what about Gerrards reaction but i really couldnt care less what gerrard thinks, the same applies to his thoughts if there is the possible benitez return

5. GerrardsRightPeg

I agree compare our centre mid area a couple of years ago we had Alonso and Mascherano in the middle of the park giving Gerrard that free role as discussed above and he thrived on that whereas today I think he was told he had that free role to support Suarez but Henderson and Spearing were making so many mistakes that Gerrard had to come back and stay in the centre of midfield meaning Suarez was completely on his own. This summer transfer window is going to be the most important one in our history we need to get each signing spot on and improve our first team quality because another season of these sort of mistakes will severely hurt us in the long term.

6. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Yeah I agree.

I think Downing, Adam, Henderson and Spearing are not good enough.

Trouble is I'm not if we can get better.

7. 23_Carra_Gold

23_Carra_Gold Member

With our summer signings, I wouldnt have a problem with most of them if they were second choice. Downing as a back up winger isnt too bad, same as henderson and adam in midfield. But first choice, no way

8. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

I dont get why people say that about Henderson.

I certainly think at least a new vice captain is needed.

I agree he should be player further forward.

9. GerrardsRightPeg

I am an admirer of Henderson and have been giving him the benefit of the doubt as he was bought for 'one for the future' but I remember him in some forward roles during the game but wasted chances making poor decisions, I know he's young and inexperienced but mistakes and waste of chances cost us dearly.

We need more quality simple as or else we will struggle again next season.

10. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

I say it about Henderson because he's done **** all to suggest he's worth keeping.

11. Rorschach

Rorschach Well-Known Member

i bet you've said that about Andy Carroll before now! (i have):emoticon-0112-wonde

12. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

That is true!

I keep changing my mind over Henderson. I certainly believe he's not good enough to start.

He might get better true.

13. GerrardsRightPeg

Henderson might do a Lucas and become a key part of the team in a couple of years. It's his decision making thats letting him down and I think the big occasions are getting to him as he's young. I was hoping we gave Shelvey some minutes as he's more attack minded then Spearing but even with him I feel opinion is divided between fans.

Andy Carroll played very well. Only positive from the game I really think the fact that he's been in and out of the team has affected his form and confidence the Suarez-Carroll partnership has not got going as they havent been played that often together this season.

14. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Forgot about Shelvey.

I'd of preferred dropping Gerrard back deeper with Henderson and putting Shelvey behind Suarez.

15. Rorschach

Rorschach Well-Known Member

IMO none of the midfielders run past the front two. (I've said this before in other posts) no one makes late runs in the box so hardly anyone in the box for crosses. no one gambles.

16. Noblelox

Noblelox Well-Known Member

I don't think you can realistically take the captaincy off Gerrard if he is still playing regularly. If Gerrard is good enough to be in the starting 11, he is good enough to keep hold of the armband. I think it is insulting to a club legend to humiliate him like that.

17. 23_Carra_Gold

23_Carra_Gold Member

we did it to sami and that worked out ok in the end

18. Anfieldheros

Anfieldheros Member

No never. Andy will prove himself to the remaining doubters. Hendo is pure **** and should go .... Now

19. ShanksHateTheMancs

Mate I am so glad others are now saying what I have been saying all season! I thought I was going crazy when people were saying how well he's done, although perhaps I am crazy as I also don't think Adam has been anywhere near as bad as people are making out, certainly our form without him suggests our problems run much deeper!

20. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Yeah.

He's done the odd good ball. People say he has time on his side (he does), but time cannot change quality that much.

The problem is we are all desperate for him to turn good because some idiot decided to pay 16 odd million for him.

What an absolutely crazy decision.