1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Canaries vs Preston N.E. Sat, Sept 19th - 15.00 hrs

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Sep 14, 2020.

?

Who will triumph?

1. Norwich

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Preston

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Draw

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Was our rebound any luckier than Godfrey clearing off the line directly to Fisher for your second. Our games always seem to be competitive and a draw was a fair result, but a better one for you as the away team. I also look forward to the Deepdale rematch.

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In 18/19 we had a mediocre draw, 3 defeats in our first 5 and just the one win (Preston, ironically). It took 7 games before we started looking like a decent side.

Seems pretty clear to me that there's talent in the squad, but we need to clear some rustiness and make a few tactical adjustments. We have the squad depth to do that. The transfer window closing might help focus minds too.

4. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Yes I was going to say, if we hadn't have got that result of Ipswich we would probably have been in the relegation zone that season. As I have been saying for what seems like most of my life we do need to sort out our defending. However, this is going to be a very hard season on squads because there are so many games in a smaller time period so I thinking it will be the amount of injuries that will make or break seasons rather than anything else.

Our No 1 signing we need is a defence coach!

5. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Will you please stop posting things like this, it doesn't fit the narrative that DF is intransigent.

Personally I'm happy with where we are after 2 games, having broken our losing run, even if our performances haven't been great.

Not only have we broken our losing run, but for the first time in ages with got points from a losing position.

We've had a lot of new players join us recently and it will take time for them to find their feet. I expect as this happens performances will improve.

We're moving in the right direction, little steps.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  6. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

But would we, haven't we also gifted our opposition goals. Without gifts there may have been less goals, but would the results have been different.

7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

8. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Don't altogether agree with that. We were playing much better than the bald results would suggest. We outplayed WBA in the second game but lost 3:4 (our xG was 3.0 to West Brom's 2.0). We lost away to Sheffield Utd by the odd goal in 3 in what was a very even game, Sharp's winner coming in added time at the end. The 0:3 loss at home to Leeds was a travesty; the game was much closer than that and 1:1 would have been a fair result. We played good football in all five games. The only game we were outplayed in was the next one, away against Ipswich, which Town deserved to win but were denied by Leitner's goal.
    Also, although it hadn't quite clicked, there was a discernible pattern to our play. Could anyone discern any pattern at all to our play either last weekend or this? The only "pattern" I have seen is a resort to longer passes. Has anyone got access to stats for average pass length?

9. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

What you call "the narrative" reflects the actuality of the three seasons prior to this one. If DF is showing more flexibility this season, great. It suggests that last season has been a sobering experience for him as much as for the players. We've heard a lot about lessons being learned; if making earlier use of substitutes, for example, is one of them, it's a welcome change: but it doesn't alter how he used them, or rather didn't use them, last season or the seasons before.

10. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

If I may suggest that after just 180 minutes of football it's a bit early to draw any conclusions. Personally I am more than happy with the four points, especially given that the penalty yesterday was a joke and, had it been VAR'd I am confident it would have been withdrawn. And I certainly don't want to start sniping when we are in the top six. Added to that Teemu's performances have been very good, a late winner against PNE only denied by a brilliant save.

11. RiverEndRick

12. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Farked19 likes this.
  13. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

You're probably right but who's missing VAR? I'm certainly not <laugh>

14. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

In fairness most VAR decisions I have seen this season have been quick and correct,and with the refs now consulting the off field VDU the system has improved from last season.

15. RiverEndRick

It's possible that VAR would negate the penalty, but it might also have led to a red card for Quintilla's tackle from behind.

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

We are playing Bournemouth on Sunday now