1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Canaries V Baggies

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Aug 10, 2018.

?

Predict the result

1. Canaries win

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Baggies win

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Stalemate

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

1 point. Not that harsh.

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

So you still want to blame Farke for players not doing what they've been trained to do?

Very harsh in my book, desperately looking for a scapegoat!

3. Forgot_My_Lines

When does the manager have to take some responsibility for what his team is doing? Next season? Like last season?

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

OK guys, I was ACTUALLY at the game and despite the defeat, my 'pre-season' optimism is still holding up. OK the players let themselves, the manager and most of all THE FANS down yesterday and that is something that DF AND the players need to work on before our trip to Bramall Lane!!
    Calm down and read this article especially what GH is saying!!! - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...ls-no-punches-over-west-brom-defeat-1-5647813

‘For us it’s totally unacceptable’ – Skipper pulls no punches over City’s Baggies gift

5. Forgot_My_Lines

What was the atmosphere like? It sounded pretty decent, but did the fan funded ideas work out?

They were suppose to be doing more flags and banners and stuff? Plus did they trial the "Singing area"? Or is Tuesday night the first trial of it?

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

The atmosphere was pretty good throughout and I didn't see anyone leave when they went 4-2 up. I was in the pub when they set off at 2.30 and that went well, but I can't really comment re the fan funded ideas, as they are down the Barclay and my seat is in the River End.
    The fans CERTAINLY did their bit .........

RiverEndRick likes this.
  7. Forgot_My_Lines

That's good.

I know they beat their aim of £3,000, but wasn't entirely sure what that money was going towards, because it can't just be some flags and banners.

Does anyone know where the "singing area" will be? Is it part of the Barclay? I assume it will be. I would love it to be the opposite end of the ground. The Barclay and Snake pit are already loud, and sing. Do it opposite, and let them sing songs to each other across the stadium. A second snake pit up the library end.

JM Fan likes this.
  8. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I'm sure DF will be working on eradicating the defensive lapses like any good coach would, it's ridiculous to blame him for the lapse in concentration leading to leaking soft goals. <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  9. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

The full quote from Hanley is worth reading:

“Every one of the goals was avoidable. I don’t think one of them we could hold our hands up and say fair enough, they beat us fair and square. So we’ve got to have a look at ourselves. There are a lot of positives to take. A side like West Brom has obviously got top players and we dominated the game for large spells. We scored three goals, which isn’t like us really. But a lot of our game last year was priding ourselves on being solid and hard to beat, and it felt at times like we weren’t that. So we know we’ve got to do better."

Most on here agreed that it was a good line-up and formation (4-3-3). I still think the same. At last we have a midfield that gets the ball forward quickly to a dangerous front three (4 goals in 2 games). Unfortunately Tettey and the defence failed to often. It's a team game though and everyone shares responsibility on both sides of the ball.

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Agreed 100% Rick and I've no idea what Tettey was hoping to do when his attempted 'drag back' led to the Baggies' 2nd goal, but we move on.
    I wonder how many other teams will achieve similar stats to ours re the number of 'shots on goal/on target etc. that our team achieved yesterday.

IMO, LOTS of positives to take from our display yesterday!! <ok>

Edit - IF my memory serves me right, the year Newcastle won the championship, they lost their first 2 or 3 games. #itsamarathonnotasprint

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

REALLY worth a few minutes to read - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...idual-errors-hurt-city-in-carrow-road-opener/
    This sums yesterday up brilliantly - 'Equally, a good shape, a sound team structure and getting the tactics spot-on can be undone in an instant by individuals errors… and we made several.
    But not time yet for dummies and prams to go their separate ways.'

Edit - Highlights (and defensive errors!!) from yesterday
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...hampionship-defeat-watch-highlights-1-5647969

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    canary-dave and RiverEndRick like this.
  12. RiverEndRick

Very balanced article by Gary Gower, JMF. We've been here before and can move on to better all round performances in future. You're right about Newcastle as well.

JM Fan likes this.
  13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

An excellent article from PD at Archant Towers and I've copied some of the salient points - 'Norwich need to address an alarming concession rate, after shipping six goals in the first two league games. But more than that it requires a far more ruthless, streetwise approach.
    Success in this league is not some aesthetic quest for the beautiful game.
    It is as much about a willingness to resist in the difficult moments and come through the other side. There was just as much beauty to be had last season in those backs-to-the-wall triumphs at Middlesbrough, or Brentford, or even Ipswich to a degree. Tweaks are now required.
    After falling the wrong side of the line in a game of such fluctuating fortunes it is tempting to focus on the negative.

But there are positives to build on.'
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-davitt-west-brom-verdict-1-5648096

canary-dave likes this.
  14. RiverEndRick

As for the 'tweaks now required', what are the options? Most of us were concerned about the LB situation, but Pinto filled in and proved to be our best defender on the day. He could move to RB if Lewis is ready, but at the expence of Marshall's crossing ability. The other option could be Zimmerman, possibly with three at the back. That would require a sacrifice in midfield or up front. Alternatively, Trybull could come in at the expense of McLean to provide more bite. Trybull would seem to be the least disruptive.

JM Fan likes this.
  15. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I like the 3 at the back option. We have more fire power up front this season to score and it gives Krul more protection to give him time to back in the groove.

JM Fan likes this.
  16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

DF is hampered as regards his selections as a result of the 'home grown' rule and this will be eased as and when Lewis is fit to return - hence why there was no Trybull even on the bench yeseterday.

17. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Was McLean deployed on the right side of midfield against the baggies as the graphic showed? If so I’d prefer him to be part of a midlfield 3 with Leitner and Tettey/Thompson, and move Pukki outside or drop to the bench if pinto plays RB and bring Marshall forward to right midfield

18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This tweet made me smile :)

Bethnal Y and G‏@BethnalYG

It has been good to see Norwich fans moaning about two defensive midfielders against Birmingham, then moaning about only having one against WBA. I guess 1 and a half is the exact amount Norwich should play.

SuffolkCanary likes this.
: wba