1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Canadian Grand Prix Awards

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by cosicave, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

If you've not listened to Nico's behind the grid podcast, I'd recommend doing so. He explains the lengths he went to in order to try and get an edge on Lewis. One example being that he started adjusting to the time zone of the country he was going to next a week ahead of the race, meaning he would often be up 'working/living' at entirely different hours to his family throughout the week. There are a few other good ones on the podcast, bit this one demonstrates the significant impact his lifestyle was having on his family life etc. I would imagine his fitness training and sports psych sessions were intense too!

All that effort - while Lewis was moonlighting at fashion weeks etc - and he still ended up with fewer race wins than Hamilton, winning thanks to better reliability. He knew it was extremely unlikely he'd win again, and the level of sacrifice required wasn't possible to maintain based on the limited chance of success.

I think that's a little different to attending races 20 odd times a year, stress and effort free!

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Sorry if I misunderstand your post , but I don’t think Hamilton forced rosberg into retirement .

3. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Sorry, my response was more in response to your last two sentences, when I fully appreciate were probably quite flippant anyway! (The Rosberg one is a good podcast though.)

On the other point, I certainly don't think Hamilton 'forced' Rosberg to retire, but his talent was a huge factor in Rosberg's (unforced) decision.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Don't forget Rosberg's little drive down the escape road at the end of Q3 before Lewis could get in his quick lap, which brought out the yellow flags and ended Lewis' chance for pole...on a track where it was impossible to overtake. Rosberg had already put in his quick lap and was on provisional pole. I am certain that was one of the dirty tricks he played on his way to winning the championships. Every slow motion clip made it evidently clear that he never intended to make the corner..lol I think he learnt that from his former Mercedes teammate. lol

5. WestCoastBoogaloo

WestCoastBoogaloo Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Ricciardo
    Worst Driver: Magnussen, though I agree with Cosi that Kubica needs to start getting involved lest he get replaced mid-season.
    Luckiest Driver: NA
    Unluckiest Driver: Norris, a good qualifying but an opportunity for points lost in the race .
    Best Rookie/New Driver: Russell.

Best Team: Renault.
    Surprise Team: Renault. I'm really glad they finally showed up.
    Worst Team: Williams.
    Best Overtake: Stroll.

Biggest Surprise: Stroll. I wasn't expecting to hear about him for the whole race but he took advantage of a good strategy.
    Most expected result: NA
    Funniest moment: Magnussen being put in his place
    Excuse of the weekend: Vettel.

Special Mention: Kvyat for getting in the points and reminding people he's back.

Race Rating: 6/10

P.S. - I've been absent for many a race recently but think it's great that Cosi puts this thread up after each race. The unfortunate timing of lack of wheel to wheel racing has surely had an impact in how much people are inclined to post on the forum, so I suspect that's the reason for less interest at the moment.

cosicave, El_Bando and ched999uk like this.
  6. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Chatting alot of rubbish there

dhel likes this.
  7. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

To you maybe, just maybe you had a Ray Charles moment when that happened....you didnt see the replays...lol

8. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member