1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Can football clubs worldwide continue to afford to pay players wages in full.

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Darylhull, Mar 23, 2020.

1. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

I have no confidence in the EFL being able to sort out anything. It is also highly likely that a few clubs may go bust before the game resumes. But I agree with Chazz, it really doesnt matter, there are more important things going on.

2. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

I disagree that, because something more important is going on, then nothing else matters.

Plum likes this.
  3. highpeak tiger

Its all going to come down to Sky and money. I reckon they can finish this season, but mess up next. Will Sky pay top dollar for half a season? Don't know.

4. StCloudTiger

StCloudTiger Well-Known Member

Imagine West Ham with important games to play and just one player became infected they would cancel all of their games. It would be a impossible. No games can proceed until this is all over and done with and for sure. They are kidding themselves if they think any games can be played before end August and that is probably very hopeful.

highpeak tiger likes this.
  5. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

games wouldn't start until all players were tested negative and retested after being in isolation
    I would prefer waiting to play only when the virus has been beaten, too
    I wouldn't like matches to be played in empty stadiums

6. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Ooh now this is going to test some

Hull City players asked to take a pay cut
    Hull City vice chairman Ehab Allam has written to the entire squad
    Philip Buckingham
    please log in to view this image

Hull City owners Ehab Allam, second from left, and Assem Allam flanked by Cliff Byrne and Grant McCann at the club's squad photo for 2019-20(Image: Hull City)
    Hull City vice chairman Ehab Allam has written to all players asking them to take a 20 per cent pay cut, according to reports in the Daily Telegraph.

The coronavirus outbreak has seen all professional football postponed indefinitely following the latest EFL meeting today and that continues to place an unforeseen strain on the financial health of clubs.

City are among those to have been hit during a period of huge uncertainty and it is now been reported that the club’s hierarchy have called on players to make a “salary sacrifice” of 20 per cent.

The Telegraph claims that the proposal has already caused friction with players, who point towards the January sale of Jarrod Bowen as reason to believe the club is financially secure enough to weather the current storm.

Leeds United players and coaching staff last week agreed to give up part of their wages to ensure non-playing staff were kept on full-pay but tellingly that was a wage deferral and not the cut City have proposed.

It is understood the Tigers intend to furlough a number of non-playing staff in the coming days.

The Government’s “Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme” has pledged to pay 80 per cent of wages up to £2,500 a month and, like a number of clubs, City will place a significant number on furlough leave.

A skeleton staff will then be kept in place to maintain the day-to-day running of the club.

When approached by Hull Live, a club spokesperson said: “Internal talks are taking place with all staff to determine how the club best deals with this unprecedented situation.”

7. Darylhull

Darylhull New Member

8. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

A mate texted me this afternoon that he had heard on the BBC that EFL clubs were considering playing all their remaining games at the clubs training facilities to reduce crowds and control all aspects of the fixtures.

As you may be aware my garden backs onto the Cottingham training ground. First come, first served, bring your own beer but remember to stay 2metres apart. Garden capacity around 50 people but will publish crowd numbers in accordance with club rules. My garden will be a 5k sellout but no-one can use the upstairs ****ter as the Upper Tier remains closed due to out and out ****ery.

Our lass will make pies, hotdogs etc.<cheers>

9. highpeak tiger

Bring our own bog roll?

10. BlackAndAmberGambler

Of course, stadium rules allow throwing them over the fence during goal celebrations.

11. highpeak tiger

Surely with the vast amount of members in his brilliant scheme already paying their monthly subscription, Ehab will not even notice a fall in his monthly income. And he told us the recent sale of top players would pay for the running of the club for the foreseeable future so he can't possibly be short of cash. I think he needs to be asked what part of "**** Off!" he doesn't understand

12. BlackAndAmberGambler

On the subject of Memberships what's happening?

13. highpeak tiger

Club Update On Coronavirus: Memberships

As the worldwide spread of Coronavirus continues to offer unprecedented challenges, we would like to thank our fans for their continued support at this difficult and uncertain time.

With all professional football in this country postponed until no earlier than April 30th, we have understandably had many enquiries from our Members regarding the current situation with their Memberships and monthly payments.

Following the most recent statement from the football authorities, which highlighted the desire to resume and complete the 2019/20 season as soon as it is safe and possible to do so, we hope that our remaining home games against Charlton Athletic, Middlesbrough, Millwall and Luton Town will be rescheduled and completed. The EFL and The FA are making contingency plans to make this possible, with the Club awaiting further updates. As a result, monthly membership payments will continue to be taken as normal at this time.

Should the situation change and fixtures are not able to be played, we will look at ways of delivering suitable compensation to our Members.

In the meantime, please look after each other and continue to follow guidance from the Government provided by Public Health England: https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response

Thank you again for your continued support at this time.

#21 (under Thread EFL STATEMENT)
    originallambrettaman, Mar 20, 2020

BlackAndAmberGambler likes this.
  14. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Collectively, the way I look at it, the clubs (or the clubs owners) should be in the driving seat here.

The main source of their revenue (certainly at the top 2 tiers) is TV money. For the vast majority of clubs in the lower leagues ( even in the European top tiers) TV is reducing attendances through the turnstyles.

The TV companies are threatening to essentially blackmail the clubs if they don't play their remaining fixtures this season (whenever that might be ?). If all clubs got together and told the TV companies to F... off, we don't need you next season, what are the TV companies gonna do ? No revenue for the next 20 seasons. A relatively paltry chunk of compensation with the spectre of losing a continuing cash cow ? The clubs (certainly below the top 10 in the P.L. may well gain revenue from increased gate receipts if the said "We don't want TV money. We'll tell players their salaries will drastically drop. Your choice, play or find another career.

The players. Clubs say if you don't take an 80% cut in salary ( the lowest salaried top 2 tier clubs players may end up with a mere 1000 quid a week), bugger off. All clubs are on the same footing here.
    Where, no how, are they gonna get a job anywhere else with that salary level with zero skills for other career paths outside football ? Nowhere. Take it or leave it. The fancy dan players at the top of the pyramid would be bloody starving, maybe even in debt if they've being profligate with their leveraging their income into mortgages, loans on expensive properties and toys ( Maseratis & Rollers for example).

The ruling bodies (PL, EFL, European league equivalents in Germany, Spain, France etc etc) plus UEFA, FIFA are screwed if the clubs CLUB TOGETHER and breakaway and say screw you to the governing bodies, the players and the main source of their revenues - the TV corporations. They'll just fold, already facing serious losses due to this unexpected global disaster. ( that bloody virus). Legal contracts - governments & legal arguments would end up wrangling over this for decades. The TV companies are taking an unreasonable/immoral position with their demands for compensation, notwithstanding the clubs may actually be better off financialy walking away from the situation.
    Players would end up without jobs, waiting for "compensation" for years, without a career in the meantime and being over age when the dust settles, so physically unable to play the game.

Yet again, it's the fans who are being screwed out of their hard earned cash and their loyalty to their chosen clubs, plus football in general. Perhaps the phrase "Let's get back to the grass roots" could be achieved because of this extremely sad & devastating global catastrophy. Or maybe at least revert to some semblance of sanity within the game/business. It's that last word that irks me the most.

Rant over.

15. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

I think you're bonkers if you think clubs are passing up 120m+ a season from the TV revenue, and that gates would in any way come close to making up for that.

AlRawdah and petersaxton like this.
  16. tigerscanada

Really, you think so ? You must be joking ! Don't you see the chalkdust ?
    Well I never.<laugh> You talking to me ?

17. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

How can they get it so wrong, because they live in cuckoo land.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52168692

Never mind making a charitable donation to the NHS how about giving up some of your salary to pay your co workers, remember the ones who clean your boots, and cut the grass you play on.

DMD and Ron Burguvdy like this.
  18. SydneyTiger14

They're not wrong though. We're one of the top 5 most profitable clubs in England over the last 5 years, what on earth are our owners doing claiming government funds to pay our staff?

19. SydneyTiger14

Then what was the point of your rant? The premise it is based on is flawed.

20. tigerscanada

It would help if you could define my premise for the audience - especially myself. Oh, the flaws too might be good feedback.
    Three sentences will do.

Given your modus operandi security position ("I'm always right, I'll therefore insult your intelligence") I'm coming to the conclusion that the heat down under impedes not only analytical ability but sense of humour in limited situations.

You fall into both categories, in my humble opinion. Seen you exhibit these traits many a time on here. Don't even have the decency to address comments to the individual you are criticizing.

How's your auditing career progressing - hope I have that right.

I thought you'd put me on ignore several months ago. This may help...likely to be a major whoosh.

Host of a Tv show perhaps ?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020