1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Can a national team with Spuds players

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by omogooner, Jul 15, 2018.

1. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

at the spine win any major honors? Me neither!

winifred122, 01 21 Do One and TheBear like this.
  2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Ha . I think its fair to say Pochettino is Spurs's best manager since the 60's - Which is hilarious because the guy has never even won a trophy.

3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

apart from the fact it's wrong... great point <whistle>

In all seriousness Keith Burkinshaw comes way above all since Bill Nick.

He took a decaying team ... got them promoted at the first attempt, brought in players like Ossie Ardilles, Ricky Villa, Cooks and Archibald plus Ray Clemence as well as buying unknowns such as Roberts and Galvin and kept home grown players like Houghton, Hoddle, Perryman, Brooks, Falco and co.
    between 1981 and 1984 he won 2 fa cups, a UEFA cup, got to a league cup final and got us in the top 3 in the league playing great football.

Is very gondly remembered and highly thought of 34 years after leaving.

4. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

So he won 3 cups in 4 years and didn’t win a title, he sounds miles better than Poch who hasn’t won any cups and hasn’t won a title.
    and wasn’t it that team with the argies that got absolutely stuffed by Liverpool 7-1 or similar

TheBear likes this.
  5. remembercolinlee

yep ... when we came back up in 78 we lost 4-1 at home in our first home match to villa, 7 nil away to Liverpool and 5 nil st home to you.
    It's true that Clemence, Crooks, Archibald, Roberts, Houghton, Galvin and Falco weren't playing for us that season but that doesn't change the fact that Burkinshaw built a fabulous team that played great football, won trophies at home and in Europe and challenged the top teams of the day.

The truth is (for me) that supporting a club had little to do with trophies but with loyalties. Managers are rarely if ever given the time that Burkinshaw was. Winning the FA Cup back then and winning the UEFA cup was difficult back then as teams involved wanted to progress at all costs and always prioritised them which does not happen today.

But back to the main point...pochettino is not considered our most successful manager since Bill Nicholson by any dpurs fan ...Burkinshaw is.

6. TheBear

To be fair I said 'best' not most successful.

Also I was born in 1981. I'm 37 years old and you have to go back to the year of my birth to find a 'relatively' successful Spurs manager. Bad times.:emoticon-0141-whew:

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. remembercolinlee

Relatively successful <laugh>
    you mealy mouthed git <grr>

But the bad times were 1991 post fa cup win (where we nearly went bankrupt) until late 2004 where we chewed our way through 8 or 9 managers witnessed tedious football and we came 10th - 15th every season bar 1 top 8 finish and a couple of serious relegation battles.
    Even our win in the 1999 league cup final was tedious.
    During those 13 or 14 years we only qualified for Europe once.

Those my friend were dark days...your fellow gooner tarts on Arsenal TV would be wrist slashingly ranty if that happened to you lot <laugh>

oh and regarding your age...wind yer neck in whipper snapper :emoticon-0172-mooni

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    winifred122 likes this.
  8. TheBear

Now that you mention it, I think I recall reading about the bloke you mentioned....

In a Charles Dickens Novel.<laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. remembercolinlee

thats it ... reported....to "help the aged"
    <grr>

TheBear likes this.