1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

C’mon England!

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Jun 11, 2021.

1. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

F....All’s coming home <whistle>

2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Few hundred grand a week and Rashford cant kick a stationary ball between two sticks.

He'd been sat on the bench so long practising his morris dancing he forgot to stop before kicking the ball.

clingo likes this.
  3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Terrible game management by Southgate after a dream start. Italy always looked organised and composed. They were clearly the better side but it was made easy for them - was it the English players out there at fault or their management? I thought Southgate looked uncertain and out of his depth the longer the game progressed - let's face it, he couldn't have dreamt of a better start.

I can't say I'd have lost any sleep over the game whichever way it went, but something told me that Ingerland would bottle it when it came to a pressure game. They nearly did against Denmark in the semi and only a very dubious extra time penalty decision got them to the game last night.

On reflection, getting to a penalty shoot out was an over-achievement in itself even if you leave aside the appalling efforts at scoring them.

4. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

There’s got to be a better way of resolving a final of a major cup/ tournament and even a play off final. It becomes a total lottery. So much hangs on a few spot kicks which to me makes the win somewhat hollow.
    They never needed this in the old days, maybe that’s down to the excessive number of subs allowed.
    Just play until a goal is scored- if the players knew there’d be no penalty shoot out they’d go he’ll for leather to score not just play for penalties.
    Once it became a penalty shoot out I lost all interest.
    As for Southgate his management of the whole game was poor whereas it was so good v Denmark.
    It was liking watching City go one up early then defend and defend. All you do is invite pressure. Best form of defence is attack.

5. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

A more realistic one for me would be a player one on one with the keeper.
    Let the attacker have the ball on the edge of the centre circle and dribble towards goal.
    Keeper free to come off his line.
    Goal, ball goes dead, keeper clears his 18 yard box, end of attempt.
    More skill, less luck.

On the other hand, golden goal, no time limit. Every 5 minutes each side takes a player off.
    Just down to fitness.
    Less of a lottery.

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think Southgate’s ‘negative’ defensive tactics lost the game.
    England were good in attack but once they scored they went defensive. The equaliser was coming - you could see it.
    Penalties are a lottery and I don’t blame those who missed. It should never have got to that stage.
    If England had continued to press and got another goal …… but hey ho.

7. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Got to agree with that bcfc. Attack is the best form of defence. Hope Southgate learns from that. <ok>

bcfcredandwhite likes this.