1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Butterfield or Richardson

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Don Cortese, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Don Cortese

Don Cortese Member

Lots of debate about Harding and Dickson, Barny or Connolly....but looking at lots of peoples line-up predictions, seems like there are mixed view on the right-back slot.

Who do people prefer, and why?

and more importantly, wonder who NA will go for?

Feels like butterfield has played more than Richardson in pre season, and most of last season (although Richardson was injured for some of that time?)

2. saintgreg10

saintgreg10 Well-Known Member

As I said in the other thread, Richardson is very strong and good in the air, however he is susceptible to be beaten for pace by opposing wingers. Butterfield is not so strong but he's quicker and offers that little bit extra going forward aswell - he's also a lot more vocal and a good leader in the team

3. New Boots Tahar! New Boots Tahar!

Butterfield, not just because I think he's more reliable defensively, but for his pinpoint crossing with both feet. Will give you at 5-10 assists a season, which I don't think Richardson could.

4. beanysaint

beanysaint Member

Couldn't have put it better myself. I don't think Frazer has yet hit top form in his time at the club (after the unfortunate shoulder dislocation in pre-season last year), and as we saw for the 2nd goal against West Brom on Wednesday, Butterfield really has an eye for a cross. So I'd go with Butterfield.

5. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One of the few head-to-head positions where I'm not actually fussed who gets picked*. I like Butterfield and Richardson, and I don't mind which. The only thing I will say is that age is not on Butterfield's side. He's hardly one for the future.

(*I have my favourite choice to partner Fonte, I have my favourite left-back, I have my favourite two central midfielders. But right-back and Lambert's strike-partner, I'm happy with all the options and have no real favourites)

6. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I think Butterfield will get the nod to start off with, it's a tight call between them though. Wouldn't complain either way.

7. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I much prefer Richardson. Just feel more comfortable with him at the back and though he doesn't get forward as often, Butterfield isn't as good as many say - too keen to try the Hollywood ball instead of knocking it down the line a lot of the time.

8. saintgreg10

saintgreg10 Well-Known Member

Butterfield may not be the best fullback money can buy, but he is very vocal and does give leadership from the back

9. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

So can SKD and Fonte, and Hammond from the centre etc.

10. sfc94

sfc94 Member

Richardson is a better player IMO. However, Butterfield's cross is a real weapon when we've got Lambert in the box. I don't mind who plays.

11. Saint_Nom

Saint_Nom Member

[video=youtube;Np6gyUb0E7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6gyUb0E7o[/video]

12. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Agree with the last comment by sfc94: there is so little between them overall as both have strengths and weaknesses. Butterfield just tips it for me because of the 'e' word; experience. That will come in handy for our side; we are still a young and relatively inexperienced side.

We seem to concede more goals through our left side of the pitch than the right - anybody got a statistic for that as a matter of interest?

13. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Like others here, Butterfield for me, experience at this level, and often excellent crosses into the box for lambo. Great to have the competition from the more than able Richardson though. Can't wait for Sat.

14. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Butterfield for me, his delivery is better and I think his link-up play is too. He's done it all before several times at this level, so I would definitely start with him against Leeds at the very least.

15. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest it that was proved true.

16. Saint Sonic

Saint Sonic Member

you see i like Butterfield, but i also like Richardson, but which is better?

theres only one way to find out.......FIIIIGGGHHTTT!!!

17. Saint-Harry

Saint-Harry Member

Richardson.

18. SFCJoe

SFCJoe Member

Butterfields cross is an assest for us, as is his experience. Although, i do think that Richardson will, in the future, become the Number 1 choice RB, but for now Butterfield provides very valuable experience for our side as he has played at this level before.

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Richardson and Harding against Leeds as football has a habit of throwing ex-players into the spotlight when playing former clubs. Harding got the winner at home to Leeds last time out.