1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Burton up next!!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

In the end, that was a very good result. If Burton could actually take their chances, they should have scored two or three last night. However, we showed a strong mentality and it was encouraging that we kept trying to play the game our players had been coached and only resorted to aimless long balls on a few occasions when it was warranted. We definitely look like a well-coached team, it’s a bit strange to watch!

Ten points from four games is a great start (it took us ten games to get to ten points last season). Walton was absolutely superb, a shame a Burton fan resorted to throwing a coin at him - hope the culprit is found and punished. Defensively, we looked a bit erratic but Leigh was particularly impressive coming into the first team. If we can get through this transfer window keeping hold of Morsy, we would have done well! He’s been ripping up the opposition these last few matches. Harness took his goal really well - what a strike - but I thought he was particularly wasteful on the ball today. Aluko had a good match. Jackson just looks like an average squad player. Ladapo needs a goal, should’ve scored when he was put through but took a really bad second touch. I’ve not seen any post-match interviews yet, but I hope Burns was being rested?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Another key feature which we failed miserably last season, was to see the game out. 9 mins last week extra time, and another last night!

All in all very encouraging and we are lucky to have someone of KM's calibre. Huge respect all round.

Redruth and Bigalreigned like this.
  3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

We've all been saying for years what the problems are but at last we have a coaching team capable of getting the team to overcome them in a progressive fashion.Of course there are going to be setbacks(this is Ipswich) but I really feel we're getting our Ipswich back.

COYB!!.

4. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I never thought i would see a team coached by JFH play such ugly, pub team football, i lost count of the number of balls that finished up in the car park and most of the first half was spent looking up into the sky to try and see the ball in the rain, for all that Burton put us under pressure which we struggled to cope with at times.
    In the second half we finally got our passing game together and Chaplin on for the struggling Aluko gave us the buzz in midfield culminating in the great goal by Harness, ok it wasnt pretty and the superb Walton kept us in it at times but its 3 points and a clean sheet, and a special word for our fans, it was great as always to be amongst them plus there were more of us than Burton supporters on a wet Tuesday night miles away in Staffordshire, great support.

5. Southcoastoldgaffer

Delighted you were there FM, what a difference our away support makes! And special praise from KM, well done all!

Redruth likes this.
  6. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

The problem with Wolfenden is....against someone like Sheffield Wednesday or Posh, we will get punished. He has to cut out these bloody stupid mistakes and let's not sugar coat it, some of his mistakes, like last night, really are school boy errors.
    JD was quality last night, as was Walton.
    Ladapo, for me, is not the answer....has the touch of an elephant! Yes he chases and closes down but we need more than that.
    Fingers crossed we have another striker lined up coz i don't think you can rely on Ladapo and Jackass!

Redruth likes this.
  7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

One other thing.... free kicks and corners<doh><doh><doh><doh>:steam::steam:

fieldmarshall likes this.
  8. Southcoastoldgaffer

I think my 99yr old Auntie could have controlled that superb pass he got and rounded the keeper!

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I thought very similar about JFH and was surprised about the way he has them playing. Maybe he is just doing the best with the resources he has at Burton and has had to adjust to a style that will get results. Terrible to watch though.

10. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Perhaps the style of football the past few years has entrenched itself in my memory too much but I thought Burton actually looked a half decent outfit. Yes they were direct but actually they definitely had a bit of quality on the ball also. There is intent in their play and certainly alot more entertaining than what we've been used to under the ME era. Their number 9 looked a handy little player although should've done better with his chances but his movement was great and he led the line very well.

Whilst I would much rather watch football how we play it, I certainly think we could learn from them. They put our defence under constant pressure in that first half, we don't do that very often, we build slowly then quickly go for the sucker punch. Their players were also in and around their strikers alot more meaning the strikers had more options to play with when they got the ball.

Both teams looked well coached though and certainly had a way of playing

Redruth likes this.

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

Valid points ptc, they certainly had their chances but once we were on our game, it was a joy to watch us for periods.

12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Isn't success as often about luck,as it is skill?We're certainly due some luck.

But then again didn't one of those guys who hit a small white ball with a stick once say "The more I practice the luckier I get!"?

13. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Looks like their number 9 might soon be ours