1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Burton Albion

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Jan 15, 2022.

1. brb

brb CR250

Now I've thawed out, never even realised I got cold, until it hit me once I got home...

The game started very postively for the Gills, we were certainly on the front foot, and the new keeper had little to do. McKenzie's opener with just 3 minutes on the clock, was a dream start under new management, well old management, but you know what I mean.

Put on full spin and rinse, and did we get rinsed inn the second half, what happened, what changed, our goalkeeper kicking his post wasn't going to erase Burton's equaliser though, frustrated, annoyed with himself being caught out on his far post, I really don't know, but it's only 1-1, come on lads we can do this...

hmmm, no we can't, if Jackson was a greyhound he'd be retired never to run again, I'm assuming he felt anything beyond the half way line was not his territory. I wouldn't mind, but I paid for a full price ticket, so I want to him play the full length of pitch. Tell you what, just show the guy the door, and yes seriously.

Anyway, it's only 50 minutes on the clock, 1-1 and we can still turn this around....

Sorry I'm taking a leaf out of Jackson's book, and stopping there.

alwaysright likes this.
  2. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

The first 15-20 minutes was some of the most positive play I've seen from Gills in a long time. We were playing some really nice football on the ground and Burton didn't have an answer. Even for the first 10-15 mins of the second half I thought we were comfortable. They get a soft equaliser however and things start changing.

The turning point for me however was the dazy run by McKenzie from the left, towards the box and was brought down by two players, the referee gave nothing for it and ultimately his injury where he was on the deck for several minutes, killed our momentum. Not only were we losing our best player of the day and replacing him with a turnip, Burton had an opportunity to compose themselves and they did. We give away a soft free kick and then have half the team asleep and unawares for Burton to break. The second goal was compounded however by Tucker slicing the ball into the path of their captain to head home. When you're at the bottom the luck's just not with you I guess.

Even the third goal they scored was a switch off from Jackson & Lloyd on our right side. Ehmer was apoplectic with the two of them for not stopping the supply and creating that danger in the first place. Sadly it still seems this team for whatever reason can only perform for 45 minutes. Oliver not quite at the races today but I also felt him and Kelman were often too far apart from each other for any flick ons to work. Dempsey & Reeves were bright, McKenzie MOM for me and Tucker was very good for the first half, not so for the second.

Still a long road ahead if we have a sniff of staying up, personally not sure we will. My only thoughts are Scally needs to make an appointment quickly. The right candidate is already unemployed and available, come on Mr Chairman, do the right thing and give Flynn the opportunity to work the magic he worked at Newport.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    alwaysright and brb like this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

A much more thought out and accurate occurrence of the game than my opening sentiments. Think I'm just in mood after that second half display, whereas the first 45 mins, we looked ok.

The turnip comment certainly tickled me. <laugh>

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

The performance of Jackson was particularly frustrating. As @brb has stated his inability to want to get any further forwards than the half way line in the second half, certainly prevented some possible threatening attacks. It looked like for the last 20 minutes of the match, players were choosing not to pass to him as they knew it wouldn't go forward as hoped. If Jackson is going to continue to play like that then frankly I would rather have young Harvey Lintott play the rest of the season. We're going down anyway, will at least give the lad some much needed league experience ready for next season in League Two.

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

I think under Evans, Jackson was given a purpose due to the style of play, but under temporary or any incoming manager that will/has change(d). The benefits of the long throw are not always enough, and it happened exactly as peg leg said, Jackson got to the half way line, loads of space in front of him, and no one to cover it. Hence as has been correctly stated the play starts coming down the opposite wing and players ignore Jacksons solitary presence over there. Great idea to bring Harvey Lintott in, we are going down anyway, I don't believe in miracles...

Talking of sexy thing, I saw you over in GRS Saturday mate @alwaysright, while the rest of us were wrapped up, did you just have a Gills shirt on, you madman, although looking at the the huge white stripes on the new kit, it appears as the groundsman had extended the playing field into the GRS, good idea to fool the opposition to taking throw-ins from there.

The Gills PegLeg and alwaysright like this.
  6. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I put on the wrong shirt.... After we took the lead, I stood up to tell everyone : "" That's your lot - you might as well go home - it's only going to get worse. " --- I hate being always right.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    The Gills PegLeg and brb like this.