1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burton Albion v Sunderland – Tuesday 17th August 2021 - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 16, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Aug 17, 2021.
  1. Home win (Albion)

2.3%
  2. Away win (Safc)

69.3%
  3. Draw

28.4%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland travel to Burton Albion in League One
    BAFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat MK Dons and Burton beat Ipswich Town.
    Sunderland travel to the Pirelli Stadium to face Burton Albion on Tuesday night having won their first three games of the season with a 2-1 score line.
    The Black Cat’s have signed Frederik Alves on loan from West Ham and the defender could feature in the squad. Corry Evans limped off against MK Dons and is a major doubt along with Luke O’Nien for the mid-week game.
    Burton maintained their 100 percent start to their League One campaign with a 2-1 victory over Ipswich. The Brewers have so far brought nine new players to the Pirelli Stadium, with Ellery Balcombe the most recent arrival on loan from Premier League side Brentford and joining eight permanent recruits. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Omari Patrick, Deji Oshilaja, Louis Moult, Frazer Blake-Tracy, Tom O'Connor, Bryn Morris and Conor Shaughnessy have all signed for the Brewers this summer as Hasselbaink builds his squad for 2021/22.
    Lee Johnson:
    “Dennis wasn't going to start, to be honest," said Johnson, who is still keen to add more new faces before the window closes at the end of the month.
    “But sometimes needs must, and I knew it would be a game where he would be OK because he didn't actually have a direct opponent so he had some space in possession.
    “There is a lot to take in from that one and I am probably going to have to watch it three or four times to be honest.
    “We have had a big turnaround in the squad and we have got players making their debuts and learning about how to cope.
    “We have played a side that can drain you psychologically, but apart from one great save we were not troubled hugely.
    “The lads have shown a great attitude and I have been very impressed with them all summer and that effort is starting to bear fruit now.
    “Our supporters got us through it today, they kept us honest when we needed to apply pressure and dragged us up when we needed it.
    “It was a tough game and there are not going to be many easy games, but we can make it easier for ourselves by taking our chances and managing the game better.”
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink:
    “We put in a big shift, and we always have to do that. The opposition demands that as they are a very, very good footballing team. You have to work hard if you want to get yourself in the game and I think we were immense. We made it very difficult for them and they didn’t create a lot of chances.”
    “I can’t say whether their’s was a penalty or not but Ben Garratt was there to make the save and that was a big, big moment. It was courage from Ben to stay calm and keep focussed. After that we kept on going and put ourselves in a position to score. We kept on knocking on the door and sometimes when you knock on the door it opens.”
    “I want them to enjoy today, they are good guys and deserve it. But from tomorrow they need to start thinking about Sunderland and for the staff we don’t have time to celebrate we have to think about the next game.”
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    DECLAN BOURNE
    Assistant Referees: Grant Taylor and Christopher Husband
    Fourth Official: Hristo Karaivanov

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Burge; Cirkin, Doyle, Flannagan, Winchester; Neil, Embleton, O’Nien; McGeady, Stewart, Gooch.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Patterson, Wright, Pritchard, Alves , Diamond, O’Brien, Hawkes
    Injured: Xhemajli, Willis, Evans, (Hume)

Burton Albion:Garrett; Brayford, Shaughnessy, Leak, Hamer; Taylor, O’Connor; Smith, Powell, Akins; Patrick.
    Subs: Borthwick-Jackson, Bostwick, Blake-Tracy, Amadi Holloway, Balcombe, Williams, Mancienne.
    Injured: Oshilaja

Characteristics.GIF

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    5/4 Burton 2/1 Draw 23/10

My two pence:

A great win at MK Dons, a perfect start to the season and clear signs of improvement on last season. Hopefully Luke O’Nien is back to take Corry Evan’s place and Loch Ness Drogba - Ross Stewart keeps knocking in the goals.
    Burton beat fancied Ipswich Town at the weekend and will provide another tough test for the new recruits, their left winger (Akins) looks pretty quick so it could be a busy night for Winchester.
    I’m going for another 2-1 away win.

Live stream: (£10) ** this one is available in the UK **
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  2. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

thank you for another in depth thread RTB very much appreciated, im going for a 2 - 0 to us, and i cannot see any other result except for a few more goals for us

3. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Cheers RTB, great thread as always and I agree with your pridiction 2-1 to the Lad's...

Ha’way the Lads

RTB likes this.
  4. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Again - a draw not a disaster but 3 points would be superb. Ha’way the lads

5. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Great thread as always @RTB I will take a draw in what could be a tricky game 1 - 1

Robertson, dyd13 and RTB like this.
  6. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Pessimist :emoticon-0172-mooni

Chunksafc and RTB like this.
  7. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

it seems we have a couple on injuries already, so I guess rather than a gradual introduction the new recruits will be starting.

How fit is Mcgeady can he do two games a week?

I hope for a win, but it seems obvious that the closing stages of the recruitment window are going to be vital for the outcome of this season.

clockstander and RTB like this.
  8. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Great thread as usual. Games are coming thick and fast, hopefully the knocks picked up on Saturday are ok. Interested to see if he mixes it up a bit for tomorrow, he has talked up bailey Wright recently - maybe 5 at the back? Burton have made a great start to their campaign as well, I think this will be a tough game but I fancy us to just shade it with another 2-1

RTB likes this.
  9. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

He might be rested, maybe another chance for Hawkes - let's see who is in the U23 team tonight.

clockstander likes this.
  10. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

I'll take a draw but we're perfectly capable of getting a win here.

RTB likes this.

11. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Think this one could be a draw. IMO Saturday performance was a bit down on Wigan and the games coming thick and fast could have an effect on the young lads

Robertson and RTB like this.
  12. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Burton had a similar game to us where they spent a lot of the time chasing the ball. Ipswich had more possesion than MKD had in our game.

13. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Here's hoping they are more knackered than our players! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

14. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Here's hoping our fitness comes through

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  15. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

A bit more on the new lad. Will he come straight in at RB to allow Winchester back in CM if Evans isn't fit?

16. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Cheers RTB :emoticon-0148-yes:

Got a feeling that Wright will start ahead of Flanagan.

1-3 to the lads

17. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sounds good - he must be looking forward to playing in our away kit <cheers>
    Winchester has done well to be fair but it would be good to see Alves start or at least be on the bench. Right footed, pacey and half Brazilian - what's not to like <laugh>

18. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

HA'WWWWAY THE LADS
    MACKEMS ATTACKEM

Desperately want another win here.
    I want us to really put our stamp on this league from the off and cement top spot.
    I've had a pretty shìt year and i hate the fookin winter.
    So I want Sunderland AFC to drag me through this season with something to cheer about.
    And leave us all celebrating come early spring.

Coooooooooomon.

19. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Evans being out is a bit of a blow, so hopefully O9 is fit. Jimmy Floyd has done well in his time there and this will be a stern test. Heart says a 2-1 win, but head says be happy with a draw, then win the 2 home games.

If Broadhead is registered in time, I would definitely have him involved, maybe from the bench. I wouldn't drop Winchester because he's played well in the last couple of games and deserves to keep his place. Alves to come on from the bench, unless Winchester replaces Evans in midfield.

The great thing is, we have plenty of options, which we didn't have against Wigan. Fantastic thread as usual RTB!

20. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

cheers again RTB...

how many times have we come up against 'in form' teams in this league and played a blinder?

i am hoping for that against burton, wondering if we will see both wright and flanno starting to give the young lads (who have done well) a bit of a break/calming down.

for a change i am not worried about the midfield which is a first in this league, whoever gets picked you just know they will do a job, hope we are on our toes as i fully believe this game will come down to 'mistakes'.