1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burton Albion v Millwall

Discussion in 'Millwall' started by Millwallsteve, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    please log in to view this image

Byron Webster is suspended for our first ever trip to the Pirelli Stadium after he picked up his fifth yellow card of the season against Bury last Saturday. That means 19-year-old Sid Nelson could start his first game since he injured his ribs in the 3-1 win at Crewe on September 12.

Joe Martin returns from a one-game ban and should go straight back into the side, although Ferguson played at left-back last Saturday in the win against Bury and could keep his place despite Joe Martin serving his one match ban for collecting five bookings. Manager Neil Harris said Steve Morison was ill last Friday and Saturday but has recovered and could resume his partnership with Lee Gregory up front.

Other than that we no fresh injury concerns ahead of the match but are likely to be without injured trio Carlos Edwards who was assessed yesterday after training, Tony Craig & Jimmy Abdou. Jimmy has resumed training after a serious collarbone injury but it is likely to be at least another week before he is considered for a return to the first team.

After last Tuesday night’s 2-1 defeat at Fleetwood, when Aiden O’Brien started on the right of midfield, Harris said he would look at whether he got his selection right. That indicates he may have thought it was too attacking and against one of the best teams in the league this season he could pick a more defensive starting XI. Harris expressed his disappointment that Webster will be missing against Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s side, but said whoever replaces him has a chance to make an impression.

“Byron’s suspension is a shame,” he said. “But it’s a lesson learned for everybody: Don’t get silly yellow cards. I’ve no problem with Saturday, it was a coming together and we get cautioned for them whereas other teams seem to get away with them. “With previous cautions, collectively, not just Byron, we picked up too many needless yellow cards. We feel we’re addressing that, but it doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a shame for Byron because he’s been playing really well but it’ll be an opportunity for someone else to come in and stake a claim for a continued run in the team.

“Sid’s fit and will travel. But we’ve got Joe Martin who can play at centre-half. We’ve got options with who we can play there. We’ll have a good look at Burton and then make the decision.”

Burton defeated Colchester 5-1 at home last Saturday and are third in League One, just a point off the top of the table. They have the best defence in the division having conceded just 15 goals in 19 games. Only five of those have come at home where they have lost just once, to Coventry on September 6.

Harris felt his players responded positively to the defeat at Fleetwood, but has issued another challenge to his players before the trip to Burton, a side he rates highly. “I’ve not seen a great deal of Burton live,” he said. “I’ve seen video footage of them leading up to the game. They’re a very well-drilled, well-organised hardworking team. They have a really good work ethic and some good quality.

“It’s going to be a real test up at their place on a Tuesday evening. But it’s a good one for us because I asked my players on Saturday to bounce back from the disappointment of Fleetwood and I thought they were outstanding. “In both aspects of the game, in the first half with the ball and the second a toe-to-toe street fight, we stood up to it. I was delighted with the fellas on Saturday but it’s the next away game after the setback at Fleetwood which is the test.

“It’s a challenge for us and one we’re looking forward to. I’m really looking forward to seeing how my players respond to the last away game.”

For Burton, defenders Shane Cansdell-Sherriff (groin) & Damien McCrory (hip flexor) remain out but Stuart Beavon is fit after a hip problem.

Meanwhile, Hasselbaink continues to be linked with the Queens Park Rangers job but he insisted his focus is not straying from the crucial fixture against Harris’ side. Hasselbaink told the Burton Mail: “It's not something that I have to think about. We haven't had an approach and I'm concentrating only on the game (Tuesday) against Millwall.

Form guide (Last five games)

Burton: WLWWW

Millwall: WWWLW

Sky Bet odds

Burton 7/5 Draw 12/5 Millwall 15/8

Probable Millwall team

Archer, Cummings, Nelson, Beevers, J Martin, O’Brien, Williams, Saville, Upson, Morison, Gregory.

2. Millwallsteve

Forum Moderator

2-1!! <grr> <doh>

Ohhh well **** happens and we did put up more of a fight in the second half so much so that Beevers saw red! <laugh>

Was always going to be a tough night against the best defence in the league with them also having the added incentive of going top with a win, saying that though we had a good goal disallowed for handball although I haven't seen the highlights yet. Mate said it looked ok but for all the good it'll do us now. <doh>

That would have made all the difference and been a different game but **** happens.

Highlights online tomorrow no doubt.

Edit

Seen the goals and AOB was smiling with the ref as he booked him for what he saw as handball so make of that what you will - tell tell sign if you're being cynical. However NAD said in the MR that it was a controversial decision that looked extremely harsh and the ref further angered the Millwall bench by booking him.

3. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

4. Millwallsteve

Forum Moderator

Shut it tart.............<laugh>

5. Lion of Brisbane

Lion of Brisbane Well-Known Member

Oh. Stevie, i thought I was the only tart in your life. :emoticon-0109-kiss:

6. Millwallsteve

Forum Moderator

Ooopppssss brissy...........<laugh>

7. Lion of Brisbane

Lion of Brisbane Well-Known Member

Ok, OK, our little secret. <whistle>

8. Millwallsteve

Forum Moderator

Nuff said mate so mum's the word. :wink: