1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Burnley players report back for pre-season training...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Is this the first sign of Kompany believing his own press ...

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Good luck to them...could be stale by Christmas.

JammySAFC and C Montgomery Burns like this.
  4. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Seems odd not to give them a proper rest after such a long season. Hope* it doesn't backfire on them

*don't really care to be honest, but it's nice to be nice

MrRAWhite likes this.
  5. ab65

ab65 Well-Known Member

Seems strange to not give the lads a proper rest.
    Might make it a grind during the winter months if they are struggling and lads are burnt out.

MrRAWhite and C Montgomery Burns like this.
  6. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

On the other hand, the Di Canio medical team rigorous pre-season got our lot all the way through with very few injuries. Christ we even kept Wes Brown fit.

Hitting the ground at full pelt and then managing fitness properly through the season can make a huge difference.

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  7. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Summat about him, dunno what it is that just screams "look at me".

Smug in Boots and Bazza2310 like this.
  8. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-Known Member

They've had a few weeks off. How many of us get more? Bit of gym work, kicking a football around. Don't think it will be too hard.

Montysoptician likes this.
  9. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

His thought process is must be we need to be fitter than everyone else to find an edge!

Can you really make the difference that way? What I mean is a team who works hard on fitness is always going to have an edge over a team who doesn't. But are you gaining anything by bringing the team back early to get fitter earlier? You are just going to peak along with the other teams that take fitness seriously (should be all professional teams and definitely all in the Premier league) so are going to all be on the same level or be there or there abouts?

More chance of this back firing than giving them an edge imo.

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  10. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

That seems ridiculously early…

11. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

So I agreed with everyone else on this... seems early etc. But if you dive into the detail and logic on it.

• They've had over 4 weeks off... and now apparenty they're coming back for 10 days as a "keep fresh" and fitness testing week
    • They then get another 10 days off
    • They then return to pre-season, slightly later than they would have done, but at a higher baseline than they would have done
    • The theory is that this actually reduces their fatigue because the 10 day gap between the first and second part of pre-season allows for adaptation and recovery rather than a prolonged block.

So actually what Kompany is doing is shortening their traditional pre-season but putting a "training camp" style period into the second part of their summer break.

It's different but there must be logic behind it. And let's face it - Kompany played at the top level for many years so will know what works for a pro footballer.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  12. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

be good to see how it works out, i presume there has been some background work to show it 'could' make a difference and obviously not something they could just throw in...obviously the top few regulars will have a pretty much set in stone routine but i wonder how many might change if this works out.

Robertson likes this.
  13. Southern A

I have absolutely no experience with pro football but I will say as a runner that if I have more than 4 weeks off, thats when I really start to see downgrades in my fitness.

So the idea of having 4 weeks of to do nothing, then go back for a pre-season of 10 days knowing I'll get ANOTHER 10 days of recovery after that would really appeal to me. And would also mean I could put more into those 10 days knowing I was going to get to recover after.

Its interesting really. Science and understanding of exercise and recovery has improved so much in the last decade, and whilst what and how they do pre-season has changed loads and got really advanced, it's interesting that the phasing and time blocking of it is still pretty much what it was in the 70s. This idea that players need to recover and then come back and run themselves into the ground to shake off the booz and the kebabs is so outdated. Or at least should be if players are behaving themselves.

14. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem unreasonable, who knows maybe in a few years that'll be how everyone does it. I don't think a big block of time off is especially beneficial for fitness reasons.

15. Southern A

And like-wise - a huge block of pre-season, essentially extending the season, is surely not beneficial? Managers talk about players needing recovery and breaks during the season all the time - so shortening pre-season (which is obtusely ironically what Kompany is doing), is in theory meaning they should be fresher in November.

Nacho likes this.
  16. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

aye, they are 'expected' to keep to a routine during the break and there are those who will push themselves and those that do the absolute minimum (i am guessing they wear those 'sport bras' so the club can check) ...i reckon a 4 week break might keep them at peak and allows less chance of cheating or slacking.

17. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah the theory seems sound. I didn't read up on it and assumed he was getting them back early to work them like dogs but that's not the case.

18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I feel lethargic quickly after 2 weeks off from running! So get exactly where you’re coming from. Mind, football fitness and running fitness are 2 different animals!

19. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Seems fair enough when you read it like that

20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

4-6 weeks is when you start to see proper degradation in muscle and such, you’d start to dip stamina also.

A 10 day top up seems smart as a dart to me. Remember PL finished weeks after us they likely get 4 weeks tops.