1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Burnley away

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Bob the slob, Feb 23, 2015.

1. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

He's like a dirty Nun's knickers, always on!..................<laugh>

2. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

Pleased with that. Safe and the chance to get our best finish yet.

3. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

I must admit, you are a true visionary, Vetch. A couple of weeks ago, you were saying we wouldn't be in 9th place for much longer....and you were right. We are now 8th. <applause>

4. Monty Fisto

Monty Fisto Well-Known Member

Gomis did well picking out Cork with that header. First class.

5. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Without him as frustrating as he is there would have been no win at Southampton or Man utd. Have to take the rough with the good.

6. trundles left foot

I only watched the highlights back on sky last night and have to say it was one boring game. But, credit where credit is due we dug in and battled out a good win and another clean sheet away from home.

I think we got lucky with Taylor late on and a definite penalty, why does he have to do that which could have cot us a great win. Gomis what can I say again from the highlights was very poor again. what did he do with that 1 on 1, no composure just swung a leg at it and put it in row z. Good flick on for the goal, but someone said earlier on this thread, he is a better defender than attacker.

Great 3 points though and another season in the top flight. I just hope we go on and secure more points than we ever had in the past and don't let our season fizzle out in to a damp squib.

7. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Yep agree. I don't know what Taylor was thinking of, practically a rugby tackle.

8. keith gatebroth

keith gatebroth Well-Known Member

Ten buses in a convoy and straight in and out of Burnley to the motorway,best police coordination I've seen at any PL football match. Got off the bus at the ground and a steward welcomed us and told us to go down the road to the Cricketers Club for an away friendly pint before the match,what a nice bunch they were. All the staff in the concourse bars wore t-shirts emblazoned with the words "Croeso i Turf Moor". Strange wooden seats in the stand but plenty of room in them though, unlike many top PL team grounds such as Liverpool,Everton and Man U.
    The match was always going to be a scrappy affair with Burnley desperate for a win,but we slugged it out and got the deserved 3 points at the end. Very vociferous away support for us again,but partly negated by someone letting off smoke bombs.

9. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

Only watched on TV (live) Gomis made a few errors but was busy all game - US pundits thought he was 'excellent' with 'if your striker is going to score the team has to deliver the chances' (which I interpreted as he didn't get much service). I think he'll continue like that TBH - making goals or spec for others with scoring many himself.

10. Bob the slob

Or, with a quality player in his place we wouldn't have had to rely on hit and hope football.

Shakes both ways.

11. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

I'd straight swap him with Jonny Williams at Crystal Palace in the summer <ok>

12. trundles left foot

I find it staggering that you will cut a centre forward slack who cant score goals is £80,000 a week but persist with your anti Shelvey thing when he has won us games. Shelvey isn't the best I accept, but he has certainly delivered more points than a certain CF who cant even hit the target when through 1 on 1. He couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

13. Sbulby

Sbulby Well-Known Member

Gomis is playing well and the goals will come. He works hard for the team and is contributing in many facets of the game. Currently the service he gets is woeful, but he continues to put a shift in every game. You should look deeper and appreciate what he does for the team.

14. Bob the slob

Shelvey has scored 2 - Gomis 5 But that's by the by. Gomis has created space for others and that's part of his game too.
    Shelvey got lucky v Southampton, Gomis v Man U. Honours even.
    What more can I say about Shelvey other than has said by many many others - he can be brilliant in very short bursts but he loses concentration, goes missing for large parts of games, os often poorly positioned and gives possession away over and over again. Can we afford to play someone who contributes so little for so long? That's forgivable if we continue playing kick, rush and defend but it's not for me.
    There many instances in our games v Man U & Barnsley where Shelvey was ambling ahead of Gomis and when we lost possession Gomis ran his heart out only for Shelvey to be walking back. Not good enough.
    Gomis isn't great but he works hard for the team and tag allows others to be better, Shelvey doesn't and shows no hint of improving.
    There are calls for Oliviera to play and I wouldn't be in any way upset if he played instead of Gomis but has he shown anything special? Monk doesn't appear to think so or he would have played him.
    Gomis has looked better playing alongside Emnes or a second centre forward - can that work for us? It didn't early on in the pre-season and start of the season, but it may now.
    Whatever happens, Monk won't drop Shelvey, especially after his love-in comments today. And he may be afraid to play anyone ahead of Gomis.

It's just as well we have hard working player and skilful players who make up the deficiencies.

15. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Sad that you,an intelligent poster, has chosen to follow the sheep.
    Why not wait until the end of the season before gloating?

I'm not sure I ever described myself as "a true visionary",perhaps you could reproduce the post where I made such an arrogant assertion.

You have seemingly morphed into a new Valley,by making things up as you go along,just to suit your cause/case.
    Shame on you for that,aswan,

Yesterday's League Cup Final brought back such great memories of the Laudrup days.
    But I'm sure you don't remember them,since Monkees have short memories.
    Glorious flowing football,admiration from all around the world,etc.
    Now what do we have to endure/look forward to? Dross,with a handful of extra points thrown in to appease the Monk groupies..

Oh,and not a Cup on the horizon. <laugh>

16. swanselona

swanselona Well-Known Member

I personally see it as Shelvey 3, Gomis 4 as I still cannot fathom how they can give the goal to Gomis when he was ducking out of the way. Deflections happen all the time. I mean Rosicky has been credited with Arsenal's second goal. Did they not see the bloody huge deflection by the Everton defender that took it away from the keeper, should that not be an own goal if Gomis is credited with the Shelvey shot?

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  17. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Seems to me that if the deflection is off a defender, they credit the goal to the "attacker", but if the deflection is off one of your own attacking team, then the "deflector" gets the goal! <yikes>

18. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

Still queen of the luvvies Wibble ? <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  19. swanselona

swanselona Well-Known Member

That seems to be the case, but its still daft. Its Shelveys goal all day long in my book. They cannot say for certain he wouldn't have scored had it not deflected.

20. Bob the slob

You can if you want but had the ball not glance Gomis' head (and he knew very little about it) Shelvey's shot would have gone wide, even if it had taken a 'magic bullet' swerve of JFK proportions deGea had it covered. No deflection = no goal.

I could say it is my opinion Gomis had a goal taken off him earlier in the season - but that's called making stuff up.