1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bucket List

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Mar 15, 2020.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

This thread is not exclusively for Grumpygit, brb and Tim ( if he goes as far north as the North Pole he might just survive. )

As we're all going to get Coronavirus, what's on your bucket list? I've got a couple still to do --
    No.1 A refund of my money for the 2 year season ticket.
    No.2 One season for Gills in the Premier League (( I've got more chance with No.1 ))
    No.3 One night with Charlize Theron (( I've got more chance with No. 2 ))

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  2. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

The two cases reported in Rochdale so far are both from my village....

I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of dying from the f*****g thing. The way it's going at the moment I think I'd actually prefer to get it, hope I feel no worse that s**t for the 5 days or so it takes to clear the system, and then get back to life properly knowing I'm going to be immune (at least from this version).

Sorry about all the asterisks, but it's a sign of increasing frustration. Covid-19 (it's not coronavirus, it's a coronavirus - that's part of the problem, bloody social media and news media) is undoubtedly a nasty little sod, and regrettably is is costing lives, and will cost more lives. One of the major problems is that it is more contagious than flu or a common cold, and is acknowledged that it has the potential to kill more people and cause more hospitalisations than seasonal influenzas. However, it hasn’t done so yet, because so far it hasn’t spread as widely as seasonal flu.

This seems to be a decently researched article on the possible impact of Covid-19 compared to seasonal flu
    https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-compare-influenza/

However, the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 is estimated to have caused between 50 million and 100 million deaths worldwide - that's between 2.75% and 5.5% of the worlds population at the time. A similar global death rate in today's world population would mean AT LEAST 215 million deaths. I don't think even a worst case scenario predicts the Covid-19 virus to be so destructive.

As far as things at home are concerned, the problem is things aren't being explained properly. We are asked to do things (or not do things) without being given a full, clear explanation of the reasons why. And in the meantime media - both news and especially social - just seem to make things up and get their own 'experts' to try to fill in the gaps. Some of the experts are undoubtedly good. However, to be polite about it, some are not.

And this is an interesting article from today's i newspaper
    https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/coronavirus-twitter-amateur-virologists-football-pundits-2475990

Yes, it's a nasty little sod, and regrettably, inevitably we will probably all eventually know someone who will die from it (one of the deaths in Manchester already was a good friend of one of my wife's closest friends) but panicking about it, and locking everyone inside isn't the answer. And before you ask I don't know what the answer actually is, and I'm not able to make informed judgements because I'm not getting the information.

alwaysright likes this.
  3. alwaysright

I was amazed at the low numbers in Singapore - and - did I read it right - NO deaths ?

4. brb

brb CR250

5. alwaysright

brb- sorry I didn't read all the article - I got depressed after it told me that I'll have to isolate for a year and a half.
    How many toilet rolls will I need for 18 months ?

On a more serious point -- It is very commendable for some shops to have a 'dedicated hour / time' for pensioners -- but aren't these people meant to be looking to 'isolate' / social distancing themselves --- or whatever it is called ?
    Whilst I appreciate the gesture, it isn't going to be of any help for me** as I struggle to find a toilet roll for my mum - who doesn't understand ( dementia ), why I have ''forgotten'' to get her any loo rolls in this weeks shopping.

ps - anybody want to buy a cheap 2 year season ticket -- it doesn't come with a guarantee that you'll see any football (((( actually - no previous ST had such a guarantee ))))

** I am NOT an OAP -- gioblues - take note

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    brb likes this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

7. alwaysright

Update to my list.

No 4 (( soon to be No.1 )) Find a toilet roll............... I've long since given up on paracetamol and pasta

brb likes this.