1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Brum,brum,are we there yet?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Apr 12, 2019.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to patronise, sorry you read it that way. I'll just leave it at, enjoy league 1 next year.

We actually prefer to be compared with Brazil.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

As you say TC nobody has put a hatful of goals past us all season, our downfall as usual is our owner who got rid of proven strikers for profit measured in Millions and replaced them with sub standard lower league cheap players all of whom have proved to be abject failures not surprisingly, coupled to that employing a lower league manager who to put it bluntly was useless, will Evans release funds to remedy this situation ? If his past record is anything to go by then the answer is no, in fact anyone he can get a price for will be sold.
    It's not looking good.

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

It's not going to be easy next season that's for sure. We will be the biggest club in that league and teams will up their game against us especially at Portman Road. It is essential that we get off to a quick start and get points on the board. I have every faith in Lambert but zero faith in Evans to provide the funding we desperately need. There are noises about season tickets being drastically reduced which is fine to encourage more supporters to attend but on the flip side the revenue lost will have to be made up from somewhere else and that will probably translate into less money for new players. Lost TV revenues will also have to be taken into account along with the knock on effects of a reduction in shirt sales and other general merchandising. Evans instincts will be to cut back even further I fear with good people losing their jobs. A very sad state of affairs for our once great football club. The only way out of our malaise is for Evans to sell up but who would want to buy us in our current state? 90 Million in debt with very few assets left to strip! If we are really serious about the future of our club then we should form a fans consortium to buy the club and give it back it to the people of Ipswich and Suffolk. Do what Portsmouth did a few years ago! Yes it will take time to rebuild but we get our football club back at last! Keep it in the ownership of the people who really care abut ITFC and who will always have the clubs best interests at heart. Maybe it's just a simple romantic notion harking back to a halcyon age but I truly believe that the people of Suffolk will want to save ITFC and keep it going for the future generations of football fans in Suffolk. We the fans are much more powerful than the charlatan Evans and we should now take up the challenge to buy back our club for our our people.

4. fieldmarshall

Christ jonny welcome back !

Nuggets and johnnywarksmoustache like this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We look solid at the back now but for much of the season we have had shaky goalkeeping. We’ve had central defenders making basic mistakes and chopped and changed defenders. Our full backs have been most appalling of all, offering nothing going forward, easy to beat on the cross and often headless chickens. Chalobah in CDM has been solid but is a loanee - it’s only the last couple of months we’ve found a midfield formula that can work, but still we have been very poor in spells in games.

It’s far from just goalscoring, although that is an issue too. There’s a very good reason that we are being relegated four games early and that is that until February the season has been an utter shambles.

6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On a positive note, at least you should win a far higher percentage of games next season than this, and that winning mentality does a lot for club morale and getting extra bums on seats - as long as Evans or whoever gets next season's pricing policy correct.
    I honestly had no idea you were £90m in debt? :emoticon-0112-wonde <yikes>

7. johnnywarksmoustache

It's internal debt owed to Evans and I suspect that is a major stumbling block preventing any new potential owners coming forward.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

In our favour - Evans is losing money hand over fist and may well cut his losses rather than throw good money after bad, particularly if we don’t look like bouncing straight back.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

10. fieldmarshall

" We need to invest to improve " is he taking the piss or what?

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Maybe the penny has finally dropped?

12. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

He is never far away! Where's Westy?

13. Southcoastoldgaffer

A seriously sensible proposal Warky and something I mentioned a few years back. I live 15 mins from Pompey and have seen 1st hand what they have achieved. Perhaps a start-up discussion with the Supporters Club would be a good plan. If this is the best way forward. They have 15,000 members. I am happy to help in any way. As a project manager professional fundraiser with many years of managing community projects. One small step.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  14. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I only hope Marcus Evans has considered and realised the failure of relegation and the blight against this club’s name. His recent statement about the need for investment and how we have a long-term strategy in place is all well and good. However, how many times have we heard this talk from Evans, only to be increasingly unsurprised to see his failure to back those words up with actions, season after season?

I am not convinced that Paul Lambert is the messiah, as some supporters have clinged to over recent months. Results have proved he still has a lot to do. Some baffling selection decisions has undermined my personal confidence in him. His initial approach to the team when he came in - attacking and free flowing football - was imposed on a squad both lacking the quality and the knowledge of playing such a style (after Hurst and several years of McCarthy), was fan-pleasing naivety at best, tactical incompetence at worst. Recent performances have improved slightly, and there are admittedly glimpses of a different, better style of football among the draws and defeats. Investment in the playing squad shouldn’t be a “nice to have”, it should be one of the primary requirements over the summer.

15. johnnywarksmoustache

I don't think it's fair to really to judge Lambert until October/November after he has had the Summer to rebuild and to shape the squad as his own. He's been putting out fires ever since he arrived here and any manager would have had a monumental task in saving us with what was inherited from that w@nker Hurst! I like what Lambert has achieved in galvanising the club and connecting it back to the supporters. I like the style of play he is trying to instill into the players who unfortunately just aren't good enough it fully implement it! As with everything it will take time and patience something that we had in abundance and so as long as the results start to improve along with the style of play next season Lambert should be given free reign.

16. fieldmarshall

Spot on Nuggets you described it perfectly, " it should be one of the primary requirements over the Summer "

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Agree but I do think Lambert has earned a crack at it, which a few months ago I couldn’t have imagined myself saying.

18. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Lambert is clearly guiding Evans in what it takes to run a successful football club.

Whilst Mick was content with earning his money being the scapegoat and a boring survival at all costs mentality, Paul has come in and challenged our owner to start doing things right. That Marcus interview is made up of words and ideas straight from Paul's mouth and this time around, it may be possible to actually believe that this strategy will be adhered to. Paul has correctly identified where we are going wrong as a club and has got Marcus on board with his ideas for the future.

To be honest, I'm not that bothered by the 90m debt. It was bought for a fraction of the value and is all owed to Marcus. I'm pretty sure that it is easy enough for him to just write it off if he were to sell and would not be a factor for potential new buyers. Not owning the stadium is a bigger stumbling block.

I'm right behind the new vision and direction. When Marcus has spoken in the past it's come across as hollow words with no hope that Mick would help to follow the plan, it was season by season for Mick. It sounds more believable this time, like it's Paul talking through the owner and not the owner telling us what he thinks we want to hear.

Come on Ipswich!

19. Southcoastoldgaffer

I like the rays of optimism on here, from supporters that clearly know their stuff and remain passionate about ITFC.

I too detect a shift in all matters at the Club. The level of our support on the road is unbelievable and testamant to what many are believing and hoping for. We all have begun to enjoy the performances, and that is from a team going down a League! Goodness knows what might have been if we had retained just one of our top strikers. But that is behind us, this has been coming for some 5 years, if not longer.We can now look to the future.

I too like what Lamburt has begun to do. He has a proper period for preparing a squad of his own- he has in effect been creating the right feel and structure at the Club since he arrived. He clearly has a healthy no-nonsense relationship with the owner. First off, he has told him he needs directors with football experience around him, not clowns!

It's now down to weasel words Evans to come good with the necessary investment. I am thinking at least one CB, one midfield, and one striker. And let's hope Bart's form and commitment keep up. We need that blend of experience and promising youth.

And I for one will jump into my old Audi and head up to Suffolk again with a spring in my step!

itfcptc and johnnywarksmoustache like this.
  20. fieldmarshall

I'm trying not to be sceptical but talk is cheap, and although I share the sentiments shown on this board and desperately want the investment that's been missing for years to be put into the Club Evans record in this field hardly inspires confidence, I 'll believe when I see it.