1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Brits

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by neveroffsidereff, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

haha, I've been watching what's happening with it - it seems to constantly keep getting it's release date put back.
    I have about 6 Atari 2600 consoles and over a 100 games - some still in the original wrapper and unopened.
    I had my first Atari in 1978 and used to get dizzy looking at all the games in Greens in Debenhams in Swansea.
    When I saw all the stuff on eBay - my lust came back as an adult with cash and I've been buying consoles and games ever since, although not so much this last few years.
    For me it's still the greatest console. Combat is probably the most fun I've ever had playing a game.

2. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Why 6? For spares or you just can't stop hoarding? :grin: Don't know Combat, I played Space Invaders and Pacman to death on it at the time though (when I could borrow one). I had a console of sorts around that time but can't remember any details on make/model. Some generic thing, there were a few about. The one game I remember was a motorbike jumping buses where the controller was a simple lever, push up to go faster! Simpler times <laugh>

I was more a computer person than consoles, starting with my beloved Commodore 64. I knew that thing inside out and even wrote an assembler and BASIC toolkit as the assembler cartridge I had didn't cut it. I'm glad I grew up through the genesis of computing, very exciting times for those of us into that sort of thing. I wish I'd kept my Commodore 128 though, that was great.

I do still have an original "tennis" game, in the original box. That must have been one of the first home video games. You couldn't call it a console as it was only the one game!

swantastic likes this.
  3. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Well the 6 consoles : some are different models - 6 switch, 4 switch, darth vader, and some are just spares.
    My first home computer was the Dragon 32 - made in Port Talbot !!! Ioved that era, I remember when the movie Wargames came out - it felt like anything was possible from a home computer - very exciting times.
    I also had an Acorn Electron - which ran on BBC Basic - that helped with school as most schools seemed to have BBC Model B machines in the classrooms.
    I loved the Commodore 64 as well - I remember spending hours around a friends house playing International Soccer on it.

Combat on the Atari was the game that most often came with it when you bought it. Two 8 bit tanks fighting it out with each other, many many hours of fun.
    I loved how much imagination was required with these games. The Atari games had amazing box art, which was nothing like the actual graphics in the game haha. but it really didn't matter - the games were extremely playable and a kids imagination made it seem real.

daimungeezer likes this.