1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brits in Moto GP

Discussion in 'Motorcycling' started by The Secret Ingredient, Mar 4, 2011.

1. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

this season we have 8 riders representing Britain across the gp field
    1 in moto gp, 3 in moto 2 and 4 in the 125 class

Moto GP

please log in to view this image

Cal Crutchlow in the moto gp class for the first time this is a learning year for him as his jump from wsbks means he has to get used to a gp bike and a lot of circuits he's never raced on so top ten for him would be a massive achievement personally think he'll finish 13th

Moto 2

this is the interesting one as i think we have 3 lads that could fight for the title and one of them has a great chance of doing it

Scott Redding - scot could possibly be our best rider since a certain barry sheene a big lad that likes to mix it up and is naturally fast.A strong finish to last season and a strong showing in testing so far has him as many a bookies and pundits favourite to win it and has every chance to do so, my prediction 1st if he gets a good start.

Bradley Smith - Bradley is a racer with an old head on young shoulders,smooth and precise on the race track he in my opinion should have moved up to this class last season but hindsight is a wonderful thing,not so keen on the ruff stuff and testing has shown a lack of pace,but it's a new bike and a big step up from 125cc to 600cc
    if he gets his head around the bike i'd tip him for a few podiums and a top ten finish

Kev Coghlan - 2009 European and Spanish Supersport champion, made two Moto2 wild-card appearances during 2010, with a best finish of 22nd.this season he's on a good bike with a good team around him (alex debon has stepped down from racing to manage the team and a be a mentor to kev) he knows the bikes and for me could be a huge surprise top 6 for me and maybe a podium or two.

this is going to be a strange season in 125 as it's the final one before moving to the new format of moto 3 (2012) so most teams aren't going to throw money at it saving that for moto 3 how that effects 125 time will tell as the season unfolds.
    this is a bit of a mixed bag and hard to predict what the brits will do

Taylor Mackenzie - new to the world 125 scene even though he's wild carded before a bit like bradley in the fact that he's a thinking rider with a smooth style,unfortunately though the team he is in just won't have him at the front of the pack.he's signed a two year contract which will see him in moto 3 when it comes along next year and an even playing field so he's secure in the knowledge of a ride in moto 3 and can concentrate on racing.prediction - to be in the points but no top ten end of season finish

Danny Webb - our most experienced guy in 125 and on a brand new bike with a brand new team with Indian team Mahindra Racing,Another who has signed a two year deal and to be honest this is why he signed for this team in my opinion. what this bike will do/is capable of is hard to say i just hope it isn't doomed like the Chinese Haojue 125cc GP race team,testing was bad in Spain with Danny and team mate Marcel Schrotter well down the timing screens. but in Portugal danny was 9th fastest so progress will depend on how the bike performs through the season reliability/speed etc are a unknown factor as this is a brand new bike and team.

Danny Kent - rode the god awful lambretta to some decent finishes (when the bike didn't break down) as a replacement rider at the back end of the season and to some points which is impressive as before he went there they were constantly at the back or in the garage half way through a race.Danny has landed a top 125GP ride in the team that won last year’s crown on the Derbi at the Red Bull Ajo Motorsport team and stands a great chance of being right up there at the end of the season.Danny rides way beyond his years and is definitely one to watch for the future and will probably be the highest finishing brit in the 125 paddock.prediction - top 3 finish at end of season

Harry Stafford - Harry is another graduate out of the successful Red Bull Rookies Cup series,started the 2009 season in the RBRC going for the win when an accident put him out for most of the season 2010 he finished 7th and 2011 sees him riding in 125 for the Ongetta-Centro Seta racing team.Must admit I've not seen a lot of harry and look forward to seeing how he goes in his maiden season.

2. Hyperupdate

Hyperupdate Member

Go on the brits <ok>

3. The Secret Ingredient

will try and do some more and add the 125 lads at a later date need to fill in time till the first race on the 20th of march

4. Hyperupdate

Hyperupdate Member

It would be wonderful if we get more people posting here when it starts on the 20 of march :)

5. nh-f1

nh-f1 Member

This is a very good article, will definitely try to use this forum more when the season starts!

6. The Secret Ingredient

thanks going to try and put up a wsbk one about the Brits if I've got time and some more articles leading up to the seasons opening race on march the 20th.
    Next wsbk round is the European round at Donington Park on march the 27th,I'm hoping to get to that one and will be able to give a first hand account if I do.
    also feel free to add articles and the like.

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Hi.

First post here, and I want to support the efforts of TSI in FMPs. Sorry, I can't type that out every time. Do you have another distinctive shorter name, or is it just mate..? :)

I've appeared here because of the demise of 606 [aww..!] and, although I popped over to Motormatters, as an alternative, all they seem to do is chat amongst themselves. Bit clicky IMO, in other words. Hopefully it won't be that way here.

Like the British post above and I'm really enjoying young Bradley Smith's new season in Moto2. Both Scott Redding and Cal Crutchlow are doing the plucky Brit show at present, so let's hope that changes. Cal's season is starting to mirror James Toseland's second season, so hopefully he's getting it over and done with. The Brit lads in the 125s are all at a disadvantage on power over the front runners with factory supported Aprillias or Derbis, although Danny Kent is doing very well for a first season. Obviously, I'm most pleased for Bradders as he's making the best progress, but I shout for all of them. Looking forward to Brno and a return of the 125/Moto2 packs.

8. The Secret Ingredient

welcome and no click here(just call me fat mike) at all i also went on other forums but most of them are petty and childish with people spending more time slagging each other off.feel free to post away as for some reason not many do guess they like football (as i do) would like this to take off more than it has but due to lack of people posting i don't come on so much just every now and then to check and update.feel free to post race threads race results etc. as most of the time i don't have the time besides this forum is for everyone and not just my mouth piece.looking at this thread i was very optimistic about our lads ooh well hindsight is a wonderful thing <doh>