1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Britain's Gay Footballers.....

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR247, Jan 30, 2012.

1. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

....documentary tonight, 9pm BBC3. Should be quite interesting, do you think it's time a top player had the bravery to come out? I know for sure of at least one gay footballer that's played (and scored) at Loftus Road this season. I like to think we live in a society now where top sportsmen should feel comfortable enough to be open about their sexuality.

2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Most people don't bat an eyelid at gays these days but football still has a Neanderthal view of anything that isn't macho. Rugby and cricket are moving ahead of football which will always, due to it's 'tribal instincts', view gays as objects of hate and ridicule. As a parallel look at what Anton Ferdinand has gone through even though he didn't make the complaint against JT...

3. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Don't think there are any openly Gay footballers anywhere, not even in women's football where some make it fairly obvious.

4. sagarebel

sagarebel Member

Who did he score with?

5. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Chortle, chortle, snigger.

6. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

No, I don't think there any openly gay footballers, but there are definitely gay footballers, which is my point. Is Sooperhoop right, that football is behind other sports in the respect that gay players would be a target of abuse at opposing grounds? He probably is, if a player did come out, I doubt he'd get the support like Gareth Thomas did when he announced he was gay, while still playing at the top level in rugby.

7. Sooperhoop

A definite Freudian Slip!...:grin:

8. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

Whoops, an honest mistake there!!!

9. Sooperhoop

It's more the fans rather than the players that would make life hell for anyone who did come out. I'm sure players have their suspicions of team-mates who may be gay and there is probably an element of banter or even subtle bullying attached to it, so it's possible team-mates may not be as averse to a player coming out as you may think, but it's who would be brave enough to risk it?

10. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

No, I think if a player did have the bravery to come out, I'm sure his club and team-mates would be very supportive. However, I'm not so sure that opposing fans would be so gracious. I think it would take a top, top player, like Cristiano Ronaldo, to admit to being gay before others would follow.

11. BrixtonR

BrixtonR Well-Known Member

Personally, the less I and the rest of the world know about people's and especially sleb's sexuality, the happier I am.

Having said that, it's nice to see we're nearing an age where our personal differences in any regard no longer makes any of us prime targets for ridicule and/or worse. Still appauls me what happened to Justin Fashanu. Very sad indeed.

It's good to see we're to some extent getting there on race - although I often lament the absence of Asian Brits in our leagues. Good to see also the women's game ripening (though I wish they'd get rid of the 'ladies' in club names) and the introduction of female officials in the men's game.

I'm hearing that our Joey's on the case re. gay footballers. Top man for that imo. If we still can't see that sexuality has little or nothing to do with our competitive or other inclinations and abilities, we're more backward than any we choose to point the finger at.

12. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

What about the refs then. Funny video, better than Mike Dean's performance?

[video=youtube;IjynbUNlvWU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjynbUNlvWU&feature=fvwrel[/video]

13. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to throw in silly stuff in such a serious issue, sorry.

As you say Brix, the Justin Fashanu incident something of the most tragic ever to hit football.

14. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

Funny you say that but I think he is gay.

I dont think it will happen for a long time, they are advised against is and theres apparently 20 in the PL alone.

Was the player a QPR or opposition player?

15. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I heard that Elton John was considering buying Aston Villa after heard their strikers were Bent and Keane.

16. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

It wouldn't surprise me if he was gay either, despite the gorgeous girlfriend and child, but it would take a player of his standing in the game to come out before others would feel comfortable doing so. I'm sure you're right, they probably are advised against it.

Opposing player.

17. joeyranger

joeyranger Member

If this is true, and you rule out everyone with a wife, girlfriend or kids, then one of the following five players is gay...

Buzsaky
    Dzeko
    Silva
    Mackie
    Pilkington

Too much time on my hands.....

18. joeyranger

joeyranger Member

Just seen this, which leaves Dzeko, Silva or Pilkington.

19. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

That's assuming everyone with a wife, gf or kids is straight.

20. joeyranger

joeyranger Member

Very true, but work with me Watford...work with me.