1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol Rovers (H)

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious, Aug 4, 2017.

1. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Here we are gents - the first day of another season, one which will unfortunately be spent in League One but unlike last year there seems to be an air of optimism creeping back in to the Valley much like the mist from the thames. Things around the club seem different - we have a manager who despite some obvious flaws, actually seems to care about the club and has been pushing his hand hard to get some of the recent signings over the line. With that will come some added expectation - after all this is his second transfer window with us and he's now built a team which can be deemed as his own.

Now lets delve in to our summer business - we already have an extensive and quite brilliant analysis up of our squad from our very own @lardiman which you can find here ( http://www.not606.com/threads/charlton-squad-lists-summer-transfer-diary-2017.347716/ ) but to recap - it was obvious to most that last season there was a severe lack of creativity and it took a while to filter out the crap from Slades disastrous and thankfully only transfer window. We've seen 5 of the 6 bodies that have come in have creative traits to their game (this includes Da Silva), with only Ben Amos not fulfilling that criteria. We now have talent, but also options in attack. We are possibly still missing that 20 goal a season striker, and despite what KR said in his pre match press conference there are still questions marks that remain over big Josh. But we look good in that department, we just have to hope injuries don't go against us because if there was one criticism of our summer business it would be that we have signed too many players who have struggled with fitness over the years. Fingers crossed I guess!!! A striker is KR's priority with George Miller a target - he may well have to be patient to get his man as things stand and I don't expect to see that transfer until nearer the end of the window. Will that force his hand to switch targets, we'll see. He knows the situation and barring any injuries we should have enough to see us through till then.

So to our opposition - Brizzle Rovers. They are waxing lyrical about how fit they have looked in training and they have looked at reducing the average age of the squad. Liam Sercombe probably represents their best bit of business this window as he arrived from Oxford for almost 150k - and is highly experienced in these lower leagues. The rest of their business has been made up with a couple of GK's and some young loans from Premier League sides. Telford who is on loan from Stoke will be one to watch.
    In regards to their pre season it has been pretty successful - the highlight being a victory over West Brom. The only blip on their record was an unconvincing win for Hull. The first game can always spring an unknown quantity and the Gas will be looking to play that part.

How do you guys see us lining up and feel free to throw a prediction in there. I think this will serve as a stern task but think we should have just enough to see us through - possibly 2-1. I'll go big Mag and Bauer.

No matter what - I hope it's a decent day out for you all making the journey. COYR.

2. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

3-0 and a good start to the season for us.

3. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

Standard frustrating 1-1 draw, pushing for a winner in the last 30 to no avail, bemoaning our lack of a goalscorer

4. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

I have got a feeling that it will be a disappointing 1-1 draw.

5. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

We must be odds-on favourites to win this game and the likelihood is we will... but something is telling me things won't go to plan.

A bright start and a hat full of chances for the Addicks, but a shock goal then conceded against the run of play. Two goals of our own in reply to go in 2-1 up at HT and the crowd applauding the comeback. But a frustrating second half ends in a 2-2 draw with much head shaking and grumbling as the home fans depart the Valley.

Note; my predictions have never been known to be right. Whatever the final score tomorrow, now I have made the call it will not be 2-2.

6. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

I have got money on us to win, so we know what the result won't be.

7. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Betting a night before - I like it. We both know you'll have to throw some more on tomorrow though <laugh>

8. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

I thought it may lead to me losing less money if I done it with a clear head on Friday afternoon, as opposed to doing it whilst still pissed and covered in kebab on Saturday morning. Although that will probably lead to me losing twice as much as I love a flutter when full of booze.

9. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

2-1 to us (Holmes and JFC)

10. Crack Addick

Crack Addick Active Member

I've have a feeling we are going to get pasted. Not sure how or why, just have a feeling.

Butterfield likes this.

11. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

Boo boy <laugh>

12. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Not over confident but we look a lot better coming out of pre-season. We should also put away last season's results as irrelevant. Bristol won't turn up with the intention of having a nice relaxing saturday so we'll need to fight to get the points. I'll go for a 2-1 win but a draw is a real possibility.

13. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Anyone else a tad excited? Can't remember the last time I looked forward to a CAFC match.

14. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Magennis out for two weeks with a knee injury. He was down for a long time against Ipswich. But he played on for the full 90 minutes. Novak starting, deep joy.

15. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Hmm - makes me nervous, would have preferred Watt in truth.

Time to put £20 on Novak FGS.

16. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Stuck in the queue for tickets. Bizarrely might miss the start.

17. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Lee Novak jumped in to that tackle like a man who didn't care. Thankfully the other 10 have rallied round! Good first half!

18. chaperonek9

chaperonek9 Active Member

you forgot to mention that we are winning 1.0 at half time with 10 men......... ' Can we play you every week..........?

19. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

3 points, shows how dog this league is, can't think of a real chance they created, embarrassing. Delighted with the win :)

20. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

So much for there high levels of fitness - 10 men ran rings round them.

Enjoyed that today. Hope you all did too.

The Kish likes this.