1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Feb 11, 2019.

1. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

About time you went to a game Woody! Shame you brought your hex

2. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of going more regularly. Any objections?

3. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

Ha ha. Not at all. I’ll bring the boys

Woodyhoopleson likes this.
  4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Hi guys
    Obviously pleased with the result but not here to gloat.

Why, WHY did Wally take Matt Smith off? He was causing us loads of problems - he was winning everything in BOTH boxes. If he had stayed on things might have been very different.

I was delighted when he left the game. Gave us the advantage.

As for the penalty - it’s one of those that everyone wants and calls for when it’s your own side - and complains about when you’re the opposition. It was imho dubious - but not quite as dubious as the WBA penalty. Also, none of us could understand why Pisano’s ‘goal’ was disallowed earlier when your defender had handfuls of his shirt (lucky our tops are made of strong cloth ;) )
    Anyway, respect to your team for not giving up - you could see at the end our team collapsed on the pitch instead of celebrating - testimony to the tough time you had given us.

5. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

However, Rangers could not hold out and Steve McClaren's side remain without a Championship victory since 26 December

6. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouragement regarding not giving up, and how much trouble Smith caused you. I am obviously appalled at the penalty decision, and I know it's the consensus that 'you win some you lose some' but we really don't seen to win that many. I've seen a couple of similar 'fouls' on our players in the box, not given.

The fact we didn't give up is encouraging though, and glad we gave you a good work out. Onwards and hopefully upwards for us from now on. Good luck to your lot for the rest of the season.

7. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

Regardless of the last five results
    We are doing a lot better than I thought we would
    Not going to forget how wrong I was about Oxbow

We are still a very little club

Stick with this and we can at least look forward to some stability and in this mad league anything can happen Staying in it now seems possible

Shawswood likes this.
  8. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

The gist of last night's tictics:

Good first half of pressure culminating in deserved goal on stroke of half time.

Come out second half with plan to hold the 1-0 lead. We don't need another goal.

Ok, they've scored an equaliser but it was a solo fluke goal, let's hold on for the draw as we're away.

What? They've scored again? That wasn't supposed to happen!!! Ok, quick... take off a defender and put on an attacker because we do actually need a second goal now.

9. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

It's the morning after and I still can't quite get over that result. To lose two consecutive matches in injury time is testing one's resilience.

Last night, the penalty was at the opposite end of the ground but, like most QPR fans, I thought it was soft and that's being generous. The videos I've seen since confirm that. Our players' reaction says it all: I've not seen them so furious for years. YEARS! Furlong was shielding the ball as it was going out of danger towards Lumley; the attacker stretched out a leg to get round him to get to the ball, putting himself off balance as he did so; as happens in these situations, Furlong leaned into him a bit, and the attacker went over. It was as much a loss of balance as anything. It falls into the broad category of "I've seen them given" (generally against QPR rather than for us) but this was at the more debatable end of said category. After all that hard work, it was difficult to take. In fact, we had a better shout for a penalty just a minute later when Cousins was taken out in their area. Rather naively, I was a bit surprised when that one was not given.

I feel sorry for the boys: all that effort and nothing to show for it.

It says something about the game of football when all the talk afterwards is about refereeing decisions. That's just wrong. VAR just can't come soon enough for me because referees guessing at decisions and being inconsistent is ruining the game.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. bcfcredandwhite

Most of our fans agree that we were lucky with the penalty - both ours being given and yours not being given.
    There is a thread on our forum OTIB dedicated to the officiating.
    I know it will be of no comfort, but these things have a habit of evening themselves out. So far this campaign we have had so many perfectly good ‘’goals’ ruled out - mainly for offside (poor old Weimann in particular) when the replay shows they should have stood. Pisano’s last night for example - why was that ruled out? The ref blew up before the ball crossed the line, presumably for a foul, but we couldn’t see it in the replay.
    Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season - and play Matt Smith more - or let us have him back - we could do with him now!
    I posted on our official forum:
    https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/199607-matt-smith/&page=2

11. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Antti's knee jerks from last night........

There are so many joyous ways to win football matches. Thrashings, narrow, hard fought single goal wins, late winning goals etc. They're all great. No win, is a bad win, even if Paul Hart once tested that belief to its limit. But the converse is also true: there are so many ways to lose games. Acceptable defeats. Unlucky defeats. Thrashings. But this week, in the space of a few days, we've lost two games in two of the most gut-wrenching ways: by missing a late penalty after a comeback for the ages and then by losing to a penalty kick, wrongly awarded by the referee. We must be about to do something amazing, because the universe needs to be dramatically re-aligned.

Read the rest here.....https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/membe...234/anttis-six-knee-jerks-bristol-c-2-qpr1/#8

12. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Thought you team played good football last night,Seen fair worse sides at the gate this season.
    Smith going of gave us the edge, he was tremendous for you winning everything in the air.Not sure if he had taken a knock, but it certainly made life easier when he went off.

13. bcfcredandwhite

kiwiqpr likes this.
  14. Fourtyyearsofhurt(mostly)

McLarrens post match comments are slightly different to Ollies but they are usually articulate and thoughtful. For the first time I totally disagree with him and thought 2nd half we were laboured, misplaced passes and defended too deep and our full backs particulary Bidwell didn't block enough crosses.....and Im surpised McLaren couldn't see that was where the danger was coming from!!! Perhaps they are knackered as most have played a lot of football lately.

15. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree I stopped listening to him when he said the 'players were fantastic' (or something like that). We were not good and gave the ball away too much.
    Agree with some of the Bristol fans comments. Smith was a handful. Their fella for City on the right was class and kept cutting in time and time again. It was only a matter of time before they equalised. The pen was a joke though.

16. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

We got six (6) yellow cards after the penalty...Hall, Furlong, Leistner, Lumley, Bidwell, Wszolek..all went in the book...3 after the final whistle

That at least needs investigation.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

SW Ranger and ELLERS like this.
  17. Fourtyyearsofhurt(mostly)

Wow...….Suspensions coming up soon then......I will put a large amount of money on at least one or two loanees being recalled sometime soon.

18. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

The referee’s laptop needs investigating.

19. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Clives' take on City game.....

QPR were left to rue an injury time penalty for the third Championship match in a row on Tuesday night as a scandalous piece of refereeing cost them a 1-1 draw at red hot Bristol City.

Queens Park Rangers, football’s own Bad Luck Brian, continue to find new and creative ways to trip over their own feet. Not so much the guy who fell into a barrel of boobs and came up sucking his thumb, more the one who fell into a room of naked page three models, came out with hepatitis C and found his car had been clamped while he was in there.

Our loveable, accident-prone, don’t-leave-them-unsupervised, panic-when-they-go-quiet football club has found itself a new vice. As if life wasn’t difficult enough, they’ve started dabbling in the fine arts of last-minute penalty kick disasters. Which is just absolutely, kick-me-in-the-face, shoot-me-in-the-head-with-a-massive-gun, fan-****ing-tastic. I’m delighted with this. I mean it makes a refreshing change from our phobia of the Premier League’s television money, or our rabid determination to bring about the financial destruction of our own club, or our ruinous transfer policy based on old Merlin sticker books Tony Fernandes found in his loft doesn’t it? I can’t wait to see what we come up with next – uncover the next £25m footballer only for him to develop a penchant for burning down old folks’ homes perhaps?

Read the rest here......https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/membe...-penalty-heartbreak-for-luckless-qpr-–-report