1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City v Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 15, 2019.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

yuuuuuuuuup

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I do mainly agree with you, my comment was merely an observation rather than a criticism. Just thought we do look really good most of the time, just lacking that edge I feel to be the full package. And you are right, who would be out there for the right price that would improve us up there?

3. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Yeah it was more aimed at RR really mate. I completely agree we do seem to lack something, it's just as easy as it may seem to fix.

4. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

What encourages me is that all we really seem to need now is a goal scoring striker. LJ has built a squad with a solid defence and wide midfielders who can create chances.
    He spent most of the summer budget on the defence. This summer we can concentrate our funds on a striker. If we don't go up (which I don't think we will) then next season could be a step up from the last two, both of which have been exciting in themselves.
    We are getting there gradually. We don't have the money to do it in one go but I reckon three seasons of improvement will see us in with a real chance next year.
    If they manage to do it this year great - but we probably aren't strong enough yet and would struggle.

RedorDead likes this.
  5. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

We currently have three players on loan from Chelsea. Now there is a Chelsea striker on loan at a mid table Championship team who is doing quite well. Maybe he will want to step up to our level next season :emoticon-0105-wink:

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

It's always a struggle for newly promoted teams (bar Wolves, with their many millions and Jorge Mendes connection), and to those that say they'd sooner not get promoted until a later season to allow them to 'consolidate', I say it's naïve to suggest that any team has the luxury of being able to choose when they have an opportunity to get promoted - Norwich came out of nowhere to become the favourites to go up this season, whereas Reading have gone from a penalty shootout away to being in relegation dogfights for the past two seasons.

During the transfer window we all wanted a striker, but thankfully most would agree that it was a case of 'there's no point signing someone if they aren't the right player'. After the window closed the Club said it was a case that none of their targets were available and that the required 'chain-reaction' of transfers didn't happen, which is understandable. To some, it's as simple as SL being a cheapskate and not stumping up £15m + wages, but the reality seems to be that it was never going to happen regardless. If there was a 'mistake' made then it happened in the summer when Djuric left and wasn't replaced.

That aside, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. We more than held our own against one of the best teams in the country presently and we might have gotten more out of it had we had the fabled 'rub of the green' (i.e. unintentional handball in the build-up to the goal, penalty not given, goalmouth scrambles being blocked etc). It's one of those things and frankly, if I had the choice of getting lucky to win a league game (like perhaps we were against QPR), or in the Cup, in the circumstances we find ourselves in, it's the League every time. Get a result against Norwich and this is very quickly forgotten.

It's true we need to be better in front of goal, but I don't place the blame solely at the door of Diedhiou or the club. I personally prefer goals coming from all over, rather than a single source, as it means you aren't reliant and at risk, but it means that everyone needs to up their game. Da Silva had a great opportunity to equalise, but his attempted 'finish' was laughable. Shooting drills should be high on the agenda this week - our players need to have the confidence, going on a bit of arrogance to think 'I'm going to bloody nail this' when given the opportunity and, if in the penalty area particularly, to hit it first time rather than take an additional touch (I think it was Palmer that allowed an opportunity to pass him by because of this).

We already have an awful lot of good and young players here, so don't discount their ability to improve and focus solely on us not having gotten someone else in. The next game could be an absolute corker.

7. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

Don't disagree with the theme of your post at all Nick. However you rate Diedhiou I think it is undeniable that we are lacking the natural goalscorer that most of the other top six teams have available.

Norwich have Pukki. Sheff Utd have Sharp , Hogan and two spares. Boro have Assombalonga. Leeds have Roofe. WBA have Gayle.

Not saying that FD isn't a decent striker at this level but he isn't at their level and we have no-one else if he gets injured.

I'm sure the club have been trying to strengthen up front but it takes big money and is risky (Diony!).

Last season people were saying it could be our only chance so we should go for it. Lo and behold we're in about the same position this year.

I tend to think LJ knows what he's doing and this won't be our last chance if we miss out again. We are progressing and I think that will continue next season. As you say, we have a good squad of young, improving players..

NickH likes this.
  8. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I agree with what you're saying, just pointing out that whilst we undoubtedly would love a striker of the ilk of a Pukki/Sharp etc, acquiring such a player isn't straight-forward - even stumping up huge money on 'proven talent' is risky; look at Villa spunking insane amounts on the likes of McCormack and Hogan (and with the injuries he's suffered maybe even add Kodjia to that list).

Diedhiou has his qualities, but for me maybe the thing that makes him just a good player, rather than a very good player is his comparative lack of movement/acceleration. He plays the role of a target man to bring in other players, which is fine, but the modern striker is expected to do so much. Ideally, he'd be one option amongst a few, rather than almost the only one.

Also agree that we should still get other chances to win promotion, but pointing out that it shouldn't be considered a given. All fans like to think they'll be better than the season before, but it's not possible for all clubs to improve every year - for each team that finishes higher, someone else will finish lower. Our policy of signing young players that we improve and have developed together is probably part of the reason we've been able to improve our position year on year for a number of seasons now so we shouldn't turn away from the strategies that have brought us this far.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    robin_unreliant likes this.
  9. johngalleyfan2

I think Fammmy needs a foil 2 STRIKERS him and ………...

10. johngalleyfan2

our number would have been number 1

11. johngalleyfan2

home to man utd what a chance that would have been … however after last year we went down hill … so maybe a good sign!

Red Robin likes this.