1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City v Millwall

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Dec 1, 2018.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

LJ press conference
    * I do think we’ve got our style back and our identity back. I’m going to take the positives out of the game. You know what we want. We’ve got January around the corner and if we need to trade then we’ll trade. I do feel that our side is on the cusp. We’re in the build phase.

* We’re looking for a nine and a half and somebody to get across the box and finish the chances. We’ve played three up there today and got bodies in the box. We need a spark - whether that comes from outside the club or maybe within. But as you’ve seen, we’re not a million miles away from being a good side.

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

furking rubbish our goal was another own goal their goal a cracker which they deserved.
    LJ took Fammy and Paterson of with ten minutes left and brings O’Dowda and Watkins on so no recognised striker on pitch then he bring Elsa on at 90 minutes with 7 minutes extra time crazy manager

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

E6590F2D-8CE8-41CB-B7CA-4FA1D32AB974.jpeg

14 shots 1 on target.

That highlights the problem for me - certainly with this game.

4. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

If that's our style and identity back then lord help us, we didn't play 3 up top, that's a load of bollox, no pace, no energy, absolutely **** all movement off the ball just pass backwards and forwards and do **** all in the box

Red Robin likes this.
  5. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Has Lee gone madder than I expected or is the drivel running out of his mouth some kind of managerial disease? Any manager who makes a statement like that has to be demented and should deserve immediate dismissal. Get rid now before he inflicts more damage that he deems acceptable - someone had to say the words to get the usual debate going about him never being up to the task. Sorry but the truth hurts even though most could have predicted a dismal home performance like this after the 3 points stolen from a weak Ipswich.

6. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Well for eighty minutes our strikers were on and how well did they do, for so called recognised strikers they were awful 14 shots 1 on target, dire.

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

This is on OTIB, I don't know if it's an old picture or a new protest but it's not looking good.

please log in to view this image

8. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Fake news? Anyway I get the impression that people's acceptance of rubbish followed by some of the worst managerial comments on the planet is starting to wear extremely thin and perhaps the time is ripe to look for new fruit. Sitting around seeing and hearing the same old crapola must surely be getting to SL's head and it just makes me wonder if he will ever pull the plug on an inept manager who, try as hard as he might, can't get it right enough for us to improve. I'm sure the reason for all of Lansdown's investment in Bristol Sports and Ashton Gate weren't to provide second class entertainment and I have to question whether even that is possible under our current on-field team.

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Mate just gave me a call about today's game.
    Boring was all he could keep on about.

Still Millwall must be pleased, it's only their 3rd point from the last THIRTY away from home.
    Still, LJ reckons we have our identity back.

Any on here who think a supporter of over 50 years like me is on their own should take a look on OTIB.

Cheers SL for building a great stadium but dividing and killing BCFC.

10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

We can build on this - Johnson
    Sunday, December 2nd 2018

Lee Johnson rued Bristol City not seeing out the win this afternoon but believes they are building towards a good run of form.

Millwall defender Jake Cooper scored an own goal after one of Niclas Eliasson’s many threatening crosses to give City the lead, before Shaun Williams equalised for the Lions in the 1-1 draw at Ashton Gate.

“I’m obviously disappointed having taken the lead and controlling the game but it’s four points in two big games.

“It’s a case of taking the point and moving on with it,” he told BCTV.

“We want to make sure we’re looking up, we want to stay competitive.

“We’re clearly building a new side here for the third of fourth time in recent years and it’s a case of taking the point and moving on with it.”

The draw comes off the back of a dramatic 3-2 win in midweek against Ipswich Town, and Johnson believes his side are good enough to continue the unbeaten run.

City were unlucky not to be ahead earlier with 10 shots in the first half, notably Famara Diédhou’s header which thundered off the crossbar.

Johnson continued: “It’s now two unbeaten, we want to make this run three, four, five where possible.

“There were some great parts to our play today and some bits that are not quite good enough.

“I think it’s clear for everybody to see where we need improvements and we look forward to either nurturing those improvements or adding them in terms of personnel.”

The Robins travel to St Andrews to take on Birmingham City on Saturday (December 8th, 3pm KO).

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/we-can-build-on-this-johnson/

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bullet Points from LJ.

* “I’m obviously disappointed having taken the lead and controlling the game but it’s four points in two big games.
    * “It’s a case of taking the point and moving on with it".
    * “We want to make sure we’re looking up, we want to stay competitive."
    * “We’re clearly building a new side here for the third of fourth time in recent years and it’s a case of taking the point and moving on with it.”
    * “It’s now two unbeaten, we want to make this run three, four, five where possible."
    * “There were some great parts to our play today and some bits that are not quite good enough."
    * “I think it’s clear for everybody to see where we need improvements and we look forward to either nurturing those improvements or adding them in terms of personnel.”

12. bcfcredandwhite

Predictable spin

13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

not going to replicate the pic

O H how VERY VERY SAD... almost as sad as those tur** in Paris, [ actually they are !] the scum that need to smash up the museum, burn innocent bystanders cars and blatantly smash up shops and cafes "because they didnt put their shutters down" was one comment........[not the genuine protesters who are probably French ]

I bet if the truth comes out the vast majority are not French ... let this a lesson to those that believe being in Europe is the be all and end all of it!

Red Robin likes this.
  14. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

There was no point where we didn't have a striker on the pitch RR. Weimann is still a striker, even if he's previously played right wing.

Not that it really matters. That was still utter utter ****

15. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Any club who gets rid of their manager who has improved their league position every season he has been in charge deserves all they get!

manxrobin and NickH like this.
  16. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I think this is the crux of the problem we have and something I've alluded to before: how do you balance ambition with realism? Being 14th after 20 games is probably pretty much where most people would expect Bristol City to be (I managed to find this which suggested bookies had us down to finish 11th: https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/201819-championship-table-predicted-bookies-14722289). Simply meeting expectations isn't good enough if over a long enough period (think Wenger at Arsenal for the latter years of his time there), but not exceeding them is not necessarily cause enough to rip things up and start again. A lot of people are saying Ipswich were wrong to ditch McCarthy given where they are now, but fans of theirs still seem convinced that change was needed. In their case, I'd suggest their history of over-achievement for a club of their size is now a millstone around their neck.

I would agree that if a club becomes stagnant then the board should consider a change as a calculated risk to try and shake things up, but can we say that we're in that position yet? As Loathsneyd said, we have actually improved our league position year on year for a while now, so in purely tangible terms, we are making progress, and that's before considering things like players sales etc.

It's particularly frustrating right now when we're on another poor run of form under LJ, and the possibility of reaching the playoffs seems to be very slim now when just a month or so ago it seemed realistic. Plenty of people will have already made up their mind that he ought to go, and they're entitled to that opinion, but with my sensible hat on I don't yet see reason enough to take that step - unless the players themselves tell the board that they don't like him.

Admittedly the split amongst fans isn't a good situation and one that I feared upon his appointment, given the furore that surrounded him during his playing days with us. At this stage I think the likelihood of him eventually getting the chop is more likely than him leading us to promotion, though when is the big question. If, come January, we're truly looking in trouble i.e. in or just one or two points outside the relegation places then I will be joining those saying it's time for a change.

17. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Pretty well spot on mate.....Even if we appointed a new manager and we went down, the haters will continue to point the finger at LJ.
    I agree it's not fantastic at present but we are still not in a bad position and we've just taken 4 points in the last two games..

18. bcfcredandwhite

I think this more or less nails it for me.
    There are people who won’t accept LJ whatever he does. We are in a ‘bad patch’ but still mid table.
    Right now I can’t see LJ taking us into the premiership - but I also don’t think he’s likely to take us down either. So the club needs to decide whether another season of mid-table ‘meh’ is acceptable. For me right now it is, but we will at some point look to take it to the next level - which the way things are going would need a change of manager.
    I for one am more afraid of the drop at this point in time than hungry for promotion.

Red Robin likes this.
  19. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll go down as there are 3 sides, possibly more, worse than City.

But LJ's sold Ayling, Flint, Reid and Bryan - players he didn't sign. He's brought in 40 odd who won't have much resale value, certainly nowhere near what he's sold.

And that for me is the crux - he's wasted/squandered the best part of £50million and sold our better players.
    It would be great if we could signs of improvement but even the diehard supporters of LJ can't.
    Just wish Lansdown would admit a mistake and release LJ now.
    Let's not forget another of Lansdown's appointment - Mark Ashton. He's disappeared from radar.

Some fans are concerned about another to replace LJ, but what's Ashton's job ?
    Some will ask, who ? I'd ask had you heard much of the Huddersfield or Norwich manager before their appointment.
    Get off your ass Ashton, lets be s bit more creative than Appleton, one I'm told he prefers.

Red Robin likes this.
  20. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

See I agree to an extent in having had enough of him but completely disagree on the reasons for criticism. Particularly the bold bit, which I think is quite harsh, considering he undeniably helped get the best from Reid and Bryan. Not only that, but saying that the 40 odd we signed won't have much resale value is just untrue. Most have either had reported interest (Brownhill, Diedhiou, O'Dowda) or have not hit their full potential (the list here is endless, Moore, Eliasson, Adelakun, Eisa, Bakinson, Walsh, Webster, Hinds, etc). It only takes one big sale from that list for it to be financially profitable, and I fully expect at least 2 of them to become regular first team players (Eliasson and Webster already are tbf). I get the recruitment strategy and I support it.

The part that frustrates me with Johnson is the tactics and team selection. Which is worrying because he almost gets all of the other bits right but when it comes to being an actual football manager he makes baffling decisions. That's what I find the most irritating.