1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bristol arena

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by framptonfrank, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. framptonfrank

framptonfrank Active Member

What a farce, more delays and totally in the wrong place,
    Ashton Vale will haunt the local authorities and the Mayor for years. No vision at all, what a waste of local taxpayers money,

2. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Agreed - I think Bristol needs a major review into the process for developments. It's hugely wasteful of time and money and very difficult for projects that are for the good of the City to actually come to fruition. As Bristol City fans, we're well aware of this :).

3. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The clown only has himself to blame. I live on the borders of Totterdown and Knowle and there has been
    little consideration of the impact upon local residents. This is not an Ashton Vale scenario, because almost
    everyone you speak to locally actually wants the arena. The whole approach to access and parking has been
    influenced by the idea that people will bicycle, walk, skateboard or rollerskate to get there!
    The next mayoral election will be difficult, because we have no opportunity to vote 'None Of The Above'
    For the first time in my life I'm going to hand in a spoiled paper with NO MAYOR written on it.
    Imagine the situation if there are more spoiled papers than votes cast for the candidates!

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

to be honest hadn't thought of that
    I will do the same or stand myself ... s*** haven't got a spare hour a day to take it on ....

5. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I feel public apathy will ensure that those with vested interests will make a second term for the useless red trousered buffoon possible.

Beyond belief, but very possible.

Those councillors and mayor would soon find a solution if the costs that will be incurred were written in as a penalty clause as would happen to the contractor in the case of delays.. especially if they had to underwrite it themselves.

A 12k entertainment arena with no provision for car parking.. or alternatives put in place.. it is total incompetence and beyond belief!

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

All this ALMOST makes me feel better off up here in Swindle!

... emphasis on the 'ALMOST' ....!!

7. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

"More parking will cause more people to drive"

No it's the arena that draws people in add the ****ty busses we have and a shambolic railway service that is to blame. Last train between temple meads and parkway is 10:15 on a Friday.

8. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

What a bunch of moaners, just be satisfied that everything possible is being done to accommodate the new arrivals and that's where you're tax money is being spent so don't expect anything that you might want to be on the agenda. How on earth did I get on another subject when the focus was on some new arena in the area?

Could it be that I am skeptical about any promises coming from the mouths of politicians and it brings to mind an ex-Canadian Prime Minister called Jean Chretien who was well known for the ability of talking out of both sides of his mouth and occasionally from some other orifice. Generally the non-doers of the political world have a vested interest or they are just planks not worthy of the space they occupy.

9. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Th
    I don't come down to Bristol for a night out very often because the last east bound train leaves before 11pm.
    I have been invited to an ex-Gateway employees piss up tomorrow but cos of the silly train times I won't be coming :(.

Mind the gap! likes this.
  10. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Its a great location for an arena and will revitalise that area.

I suppose it could be covered in yuppie flats like the Docks.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Funny these supposed transport problems were not noticed before by councillors and labour and the Tories suddenly notice them before a coming Mayor election. Going to cost 80k a week not to build it. These politicking ****bags will run a bill of millions up for no good reason.

Mind the gap! likes this.
  12. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

It's called 'Standard Procedure' or 'Business As Usual' in Bristol.

13. HANDY ANDY

HANDY ANDY Active Member

Wherever a new arena is built there will be objectors. That's the nature of the beast. A decision has however been made that people should not arrive at the location by car and you can agree or disagree with that strategy. All the delay is about is whether Councillors feel the alternative transport plans are robust enough and that is fair enough. If they turned out to be shambolic then everyone would moan. My personal opinion is that with many people arriving away from Bristol at night then many will travel by car so like the City Ground you have to factor that requirement in. This project has parallels with Ashton Gate the difference is that currently the City's parking problem is being dumped on the local residents. If the City are being allowed to find a solution "after the fact" why not the Arena. What's happening with the old Royal Mail building would that not be an ideal site for a carpark?

14. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

what happened to the £xxxxm the council got for the airport!
    imagine an annual income from that could subsidize, , sorry would have been able to, later buses or cheaper council tax viaa money available for services ... the liberal aspect of Bristol City council will hopefully die out in the next couple of years, they have done more to destroy Bristol than the Nazi's did 70 odd years ago

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

All the delay is about is whether Councillors feel the alternative transport plans are robust enough and that is fair enough.

Its disgusting. It is not fair. It is unnecessary. It is being done because they can. It could cost Bristol in the region of a million pounds in three months. Money wasted for no good reason.

If the City are being allowed to find a solution "after the fact" why not the Arena.

Because this is not about solutions, It is about exercising political weight. Bristol's political representatives have a LONG history of it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  16. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

It's all about politics and the politicians, sod all to do with transport.. They have no interest in Bristol, just themselves and what makes them look good.
    Since when have any of them been concerned regarding transport?
    As one of the largest City's in the UK, we must have the worst transport system by far.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  17. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Are you a traffic warden?

18. HANDY ANDY

HANDY ANDY Active Member

No are you a brain surgeon?

19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

No a policeman why?

20. HANDY ANDY

HANDY ANDY Active Member

No you cant be or else you would understand that to build huge venues with no parking facilities is stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.