1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bristol Airport Money-grabbing B’stards

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Getting back to the railway strike, some interesting stories are surfacing if they are true such as.

It takes a team of 9 railway workers to replace a single electrical socket
    Some workers refused to share a van with colleagues and got their own
    When bosses spoke to workers during the workers lunchbreak, they would then restart their break from the very 1st minute for being interrupted no matter at what point the conversation happened.

The unions effectively killed off the British Motor industry along with shipbuilding and other manufacturing industries that were union led.

So I hope they all get sacked. And like Redprintt I've not come across a single person who has an ounce of sympathy for these overpaid, underworked lackeys who clearly are 2 (or 9) a penny.

Reliant Robin TC2 and Redprintt like this.
  2. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

not double standards by any stretch of the imagination.
    RMT and and some of there pickets have let go of some very interesting comments ... not going to highlight them as a lot are readily in the media ... RMT " we are determined to beat the .gov " is one though ... to attain this they need to get into direct negotiation with .gov, so every meeting going the right and respected way with the employers is trashed by the RMT IN AN EFFORT for LYNCH to face off against .gov.

Angelic has some comments following and pretty much down to being correct. My associate [ a supervisor / team leader ] in Reading states "not exactly true" but does not support the strike at all. States that MODERNIZATION is going to come, but unfortunately a lot of the workers that currently are employed in doing some of that work are basically lazy, and would find re employment difficult, as they might have to work!. He made a comparison with the Alaskan railway programme and in respect maintenance ... like tidying up areas where nature needs to be "groomed" Alaska 2 or 3 do a massive job ... in UK it would take 6- 8 twice as long to do less ...
    He did add that management, interupting a break does sometimes lead to it lasting longer. Some restart the break [ rare ] most add increments of 1/3rd / 1/4/1/2 /whole? or time it takes to be interupted. Often they "continue their break after the management have left, and they have discussed the management comments" . but some do take the p*** s management dont usually hang about.

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

4. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Come on Ashton pensioners did the same as you - work hard.
    10% seems a lot compared with the 3% offered to the strikers.
    However I have a friends who rely on a state pension and 10% of not much is very little.
    5-7% (a figure strikers will end up with) of £60k is a lot more.
    I get lost in your spats with JG2 so apologise if I've misunderstood your comment.

raver likes this.
  5. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I’m more than happy for pensioners to have a increase in-line with inflation, I think they deserve it. My beef is with JG2 who is happy to accept it, but criticises others, often in a very strong manner, who want a similar increase.
    I’m not even saying I agree with the rail workers, I don’t know enough about it, but I wouldn’t criticise them as he has.

BTW. I worked with JGF2 for 4 years, we know each other. It’s all good humoured, we just have different views, all healthy, it would a boring world if we all had the same opinions.

Redprintt likes this.
  6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I sympathise in general for people wanting pay increases when the cost of living is going up so fast, but we can't ALL have a pay increase or it will pour fuel on the fire of inflation that is already burning fiercely.
    I also HATE strikes with a passion (except if for Health and Safety reasons)
    Having said that, if the government and the corporate bosses are going to refuse large pay rises for their staff, then I expect them (including all politicians, judges, hospital managers etc) to lead by example and not award themselves big rises either - in fact they don't need a pay rise at all - they should be able to absorb the cost of living on their wages.
    It boils my piss to see the Oil Company bosses receive HUGE bonuses whilst we are all paying £2 per litre to fuel our cars and told to keep our wages down for the sake of the economy.

Reliant Robin TC2 and Redprintt like this.
  7. realred1952

what is needed is looking at the bigger picture todays economy is a falsehood brought on by Russia .... everyone panics and want to not have any pain because we get used to being soft .. and put in for pay rises ...as BCRW says vicious circle .. and what happens when oil/gas is back to lower levels or alternative is norm ... do we give it back? ,.. no .. I would say that RMT IS WRONG as pay should reflect productivity and on rail it doesnt ... BA they should respect the staff and replace the 10% .. whether done as a single or 2 stage event... ! Should a similar occurrence as covid strike then maybe staff wouldnt take a 10% cut ...
    WHEN YOU LOOK REALISTICALLY at wages there is a so called national average wage ... seen it somewhere [ there are a few differing ones ] of £550 pw, picked that one as it is the basic or close to pension monthly payment! ... many people do jobs for £340 pw [ 42 HOURS ] I think most supermarket shelf stackers on 40 hours are on about £380>>>

8. AshtonRed

It doesn’t help that the CE of Birmingham airport has just been given a 48% increase, up to £595k pa, I know it’s a different company, but even so .

Apparently they received £12.8m of taxpayers money during the pandemic, laid off 43% of their staff and now is finding it difficult recruiting staff, which will s causing havoc and cancellations, it begs the question how much would they pay him if he was competent?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  9. AshtonRed

Striking costs the employee money, I always believe anyone that goes on strike must feel very strongly about an issue. I can’t do anything about the strikes, if I could I would. What boils my pi55 is ministers who say they would do anything to stop the strikes, but won’t sit down with the two sides and at least try to resolve it. Not to do so is playing politics IMO

10. realred1952

the realization is that often Exec's get taken on with premeditated contracts .. annual pay rises .bonus/ guaranteed income via contract / perks!!!
    When the furlough was in progress a lot of people were kept on but when it ended they had to work /go back to work or were taking on a different job "in the meantime" and didnt go back[ [all jobs] hospitality has suffered most, anyone need a job ? I been offered a job serving beer in a pub as they cant get staff .. £15 ph works out at CIH!!!
    When you think a pub can get through 2-3 barrells minimum per night and they pay £120 max for 72 pints ... = 72 x 3 x £4.50 = close to a grand a night £60 is but a splash!.. just 12 pints or so!

11. AshtonRed

Then the practice needs to be overhauled, there is no need to provide all those perks, it’s time executive pay in this country is brought into the 21st century, one way to do it is link it to the lowest paid members within the organisation, ie it can be no more than 20 times the amount of the lowest paid colleague in the organisation. It’s needed looking at for years.

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

But what about Bristol Airport, and what’s it got to do with the rail strike?

13. realred1952

shouldnt it be....
    What about the railstrike ? Whats it got to do with the Bristol airport? ..

WELL you could say both are about disruption? and both are going to be striking during the holiday period ............

14. bcfcredandwhite

My mate who I intended to stay with and who was going to drop me and pick me up from the airport went down with COVID so I ended up paying their bloody parking charges - £90 ffs.

15. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Compare that to price NCP charge for 24 hours in city centre between £50-60. Don’t sound to bad really then.

16. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

I know it's a bit late, but go onto Just Park or similar apps and you can get local parking for less than half that price. My son charges about £7 a day; you have to walk to the airport but it's about 10 minutes away in Downside Road. Other places along the road are doing the same and can be booked at the drop of a hat!!

17. realred1952

well the rail strike sort of failed .. 10 carraiges to Bristol and just the odd 84 passengers .. no one missed Glastonbury think next one was even emptier ...

18. bcfcredandwhite

In search of some truth amongst all the ‘spin’ I found this.

I’ve NO IDEA if this is true or not, but it gives a different view on the reasons for the rail strike:

3B03D9C9-57AF-4FEF-B1A8-C79FFBA6CB8E.jpeg

19. realred1952

There is a lot to be learned from this but what spoils it is the last sentence " I wish everyone could see past ..........

It is cleverly put together but misses out some strategic points "why it is needing to be addressed" ... This is the perspective of a shift worker, not a day worker.
    The reason they get the additional rate is part of the agreement they took on to willingly to be on the shift work. To fully accept the comments above you need to know the pattern for example there is 52 weekends in a year ... they only work 32 weekends. 28 weeks of nights from 52 [ minus holidays etc ] so what about the other 24?.
    Fire and rehire I do not totally agree with.

20. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

The railways often have multiple people doing the same job and as I put on this post earlier in the thread.

Until last month I'd not had a pay rise for several years. Did we demand 11% or 30% like the rail workers or Doctors and did we threaten to strike ? No, we accepted what we were given, a rise of 3.4% some 7% below current inflation notwithstanding the massive increases to Gas, Electricity, and fuel.

More than ever the country is awash with well paid jobs. So my advice is that if the railway workers don't want to work in that profession any longer, they are free to leave and find something else.

BUT I suspect most want to hang on and take a big redundancy cheque whilst basically doing very little, on what is an ever declining service which may never return to pre pandemic levels of patronisation.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.